Sparky the Mastodon in Ketchikan, Alaska

wwillson

Staff member
I was walking around Ketchikan, AK last summer and snapped these photos of a Mastodon made of spark plugs. Not in a million years did I think I'd ever see such a thing.

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

How do you know his name is "Sparky"? Neighbors had a Dachshund with steel testicles. His name was Sparky!

An elephant never misfires!

I suppose there's a donkey made of old air filters somewhere in town?

Last edited:
I'd say resourceful for the products they can get up there. I wanted to move to Alaska once but realized "Ships to lower 48 states" everywhere I shopped. That dulled my motivation real quick.

Best I can tell from the weather sites, Ketchican has weather more like Seattle than the interior of Alaska... except it gets about 4 times as much rain and snow as Seattle. Even when it's not dark out, you don't want to go outside.

Best I can tell from the weather sites, Ketchican has weather more like Seattle than the interior of Alaska... except it gets about 4 times as much rain and snow as Seattle. Even when it's not dark out, you don't want to go outside.
One daughter in Juneau another in Kodiak. Kodiak just pretty much a colder version of Seattlish. Juneau is a freaking snowbowl.

Ketchican is a rainforest..... Numerous rainforests in Alaska....

Back