Spark Plugs: '98 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I was looking at the wrong Chilton's manual.
wink.gif

Did those 5 speeds spec a 75w-90? I would have assumed a MTL or synchromesh. If it is a gear oil and calls for GL-4, you don't want to use a GL-5 like you bought. It will shift Poorly and harm your brass syncros. Redline MT-90 is an excellent GL-4 for manual trannys. Amsoil has a similar offering.

Originally Posted By: NilsonCain
Howdy there...

Just replaced plugs in my '98 Corolla. What I pulled out were NGK BKR5NKB twin-ground copper core. Specified gap is .044" and these old ones are worn to .060" - .070".

The new ones I bought are NGK BKR5EGP single electrode platinums. I gapped all to spec before installing. I put on new wires and a new PCV valve as well.

Previous owner did meticulous oil changes but he says he doesnt think the plugs were ever changed. I'm surprised that the car was still running if that is true. It has about 189,000 miles now.

Just looking for feedback.. were those stock plugs (possibly?) and is there any problem with the new ones I chose?

Also I took off the oil filler cap while the car was running and there was a significant amount of air blowing out, way way more than on my '96 4Runner V6 w/ 211k. I guess this indicates blow-by. The car is very good regarding oil consumption, considering what I've heard for this model... Seems to burn just over a quart in ~3000 miles.
I use that plug type in I 4 Camrys. Good choice.

Thanks

Just an update... still running great. I changed the transmission oil yesterday with mostly AAP 75w90 synthetic GL5 and a bit of Supertech 80w90 GL5. The reason for the combo is the little bit of oil lost in the whole pumping process...

Anyway the transmission is GL5 compatible, and the ride to work today showed no problems with shifting, etc. Hard to say if anything is smoother, there may be a very slight improvement with the syncros, but there wasnt really any problem to start with.

Carry on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back