Consensus: Do you gap dual electrode spark plugs?

Lol ok pretentious much? I followed the manufactures instructions as the gap was preset, you don't...so o well?!? Never said I didn't know how to do it just said it wasn't necessary now.
Pretentious? No. Do I know when someone is talking gibberish? Yes.

If you never checked the gap, then how did you conclude it's never necessary?

Do you understand these plugs get handled in all sorts of rough ways, even at the factory before it gets packaged? Then there is handling by probably hundreds of people by the time you get them. All it takes is a tap on the ground electrode to have a too small of a gap. There is also variance in production, so the gap can be too large right from the start.

It takes literally few seconds per plug and a feeler gauge to check the gap. Quality ignition coils are not exactly cheap these days, and knowing, you have the optimal gap right from the beginning ensures their long life.

What kind of gauge did you use? Wire or leaf? As for adjustment, I would install them as is.

Before fine wire plugs, I used to just use this:

20240108_201856_croppd_resized.jpg

Pretentious? No. Do I know when someone is talking gibberish? Yes.

If you never checked the gap, then how did you conclude it's never necessary?

Do you understand these plugs get handled in all sorts of rough ways, even at the factory before it gets packaged? Then there is handling by probably hundreds of people by the time you get them. All it takes is a tap on the ground electrode to have a too small of a gap. There is also variance in production, so the gap can be too large right from the start.

It takes literally few seconds per plug and a feeler gauge to check the gap. Quality ignition coils are not exactly cheap these days, and knowing, you have the optimal gap right from the beginning ensures their long life.

I agree that spark plug gaps should be verified prior to installation as the pre-set gap is not always correct for all applications. The electrodes are protected by a cardboard tube though so they typically aren't that beat up after packaging.

I agree that spark plug gaps should be verified prior to installation as the pre-set gap is not always correct for all applications. The electrodes are protected by a cardboard tube though so they typically aren't that beat up after packaging.

I noticed that the packs of four are usually OK because they are double boxed. However for my recent V6 spark plug change, I received a pack of four and two individually boxed plugs. One of those needed to be adjusted as it was a little tight.

You just never know, that’s why I check them.

I'm still a bit confused on how you would properly adjust the gap on a plug with multiple ground electrodes. What do you pry against? And do you pry up or out? If you pry the electrode up then that's going to change the gap in an unpredictable way. If you pry out, how would you do that? The electrode is attached at the rim of the plug, how can it be pried back or forward to change the gap?

Never, ever tried to gap anything other than a standard copper plug. It even states on the box for most iridium's "do not use gapping tool".

This. I would never attempt to gap dual electrode or platinum/iridium plugs. They pretty much all come packaged in such a way that abuse to the package during handling will not change the gap as they have the cardboard or plastic cylinder thing around the plug inside the box.

I reading on the forums hear threads of both old and new, and there is a clear divide on this topic. This is my first time installing dual electrode plugs in my 2000 Camry V6, and the gap out of the box is not within spec per the Toyota FSM. What are your thoughts?

Edit: tested 1 spark plug and I can only fit a 0.022” feeler gauge in between the electrode and tip (both ends). Toyota’s specs are 0.043”.
Thank you! First dual electrode spark plug I've seen. I would gap them if they are out of spec.

Spark plugs from a reputable manufacturer and vendor come pre-gapped. That's why the plug should have the mini-toilet paper roll around the business end of the plug.

A wire feeler gauge is still a feeler gauge.
Never heard any professional call a wire gaping tool a feeler gauge, but I have seen wire gauges called feeler gauges in online catalogues.

I worked (sadly) as a professional metrologist as part of my job function for 15 years as a bridge to retirement.

What is toyota crutching with that plug design? - would hazard that a std. projected tip Denso would work better.

Plugs like that are pre ignition generators and flame quenchers wrapped into one.

Reminds me of the crazy plugs Ford used in the last 4.9L injected sixer.

Ford 4.9L6 EFI Smog
Ford 4.9L5 plug.jpg

(below) Ford 4.9L6 ca.1968
Ford F100 4.9L6 pre-smog.jpg

Away, yes.

Up, probably by a few thou
It is a garbage plug design. If you bend it away, you will have to smack the GND(s) so they are aligned and perpendicular. Now you may be distorting the radius cut. Then when the GND sees heats the strap is going to walk.
I say DO NOT USE THIS DESIGN, or, alternatively, sort through 25 or so plugs to get a set that are gapped to spec+/-

Bring your pocket inspection monocular microscope with a calibrated reticle and you won't have to make a contact measurement.

racers rule: Always inspect plug gaps. Its critical

- Ken

For some odd reason, Toyota used those plugs on the 1996-2001 2.2L 5S-FE with waste spark coil pack ignition, as well as the 5VZ-FE 3.4L truck V6s as well. The goal was to for the plug to spark in “either” direction of voltage travel.

Toyota uses similar for the D4-S V6/8(2GR-FSE/FKS/FXS, 4GR-FSE, 1UR-FSE/2UR-GSE) families but oddly enough the 4-cylinder versions got “regular” single ground plugs. Denso FK20HBR-8 I think?

My Mazda plugs from the dealer didn't look same as the spec listed.

It says not to adjust, so I didn't adjust.
I did this for my Mazda3, except they were NGK Ruthenium plugs from RockAuto. Factory spec is .052", plugs came factory gapped at .044". I gently checked one and it was .044" but searched the internet far and wide for a week trying to find some foolproof way to open the gap of modern finewire plugs without hurting them. Finally just installed as they came after doing a ton of research indicating that doing so *should* be okay.

Back