spark plug comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

well i tend to disagree on most na motors a good iridium plug is hard to best but supercharged engines typically don't like them. al least in the Pontiac 3.8 sc they don't however the ls1 crowd seems to really like the denso iridium so it seems you just have to find what your motor "likes"

The LS1 crowd only likes them for bolt on NA engines. For everything else (high boost FI, big nitrous shots, uber high compression) they go with the colder copper NGKs. False or not, they feel that the iridium/plat. centers "hold" more heat and cause detonation in higher cylinder pressure applications.

Slightly
offtopic.gif
, but does anyone know if NGK is subcontracted to AC Delco to produce their iridium plugs?? Also, has anyone tried the Champion iridiums yet (and do they actually manufacture these, or are they also possibly subcontracted out to another manufacturer)??

When I was in school one of the teachers had built up an F150 lightning with Kenne Belle supercharger and higher compression and what not but it did not like iridium plugs at all. Simple switch to the same heat range copper solved the detonation problems. So as far as I am concerned it is a fact. They fought that for days and I made the suggestion and thought it was interesting as the speed shop finally convinced him to try copper plugs not 2 hours before. I had mentioned it before but dismissed as a student.

Early on Iridium in a factory car are generally .7 mm and aftermarket plugs are generally .4 mm. The OEM style last (supposedly) 100K and the after market 50-60K.

The .6 mm NGK should last a long time.

I put Autolite Double Platinum plugs in my Neon and they have been fantastic.

NGK makes wonderful plugs that are very consistant.

Quote:

out of curiousity, how is it so tough to change plugs on a PT cruiser???

in my experience, 4 cyl engines are by far the easiest types to change plugs in.

JMH

Well, in the PT, the intake manifold runs right over the spark plugs, so you have to remove 8 screws to loosen that, and disconnect a metal pipe and loosen 4 other screws(all different sizes
crazy.gif
) just so you can move the manifold enough to reach the plugs. All of these screws have to be removed in a specific order, or so says the shop manual.

It's a good two-hour job by myself, compared to just a half-hour on my grandpa's V8...

ngk.jpg

Proper Gapping for Iridium

In most cases the factory set gap should conform to your vehicle specifications. However if it is necessary to widen the gap, do so with a tool that only pulls back on the ground electrode without touching the center electrode or the porcelain. To close the gap on a plug, gently tap the plug, electrode first on a hard surface.

In normal cars iridium even in a turbo is fine. It is when you start changing out the stock turbo or supercharger for a bigger one and turn up the boost from 14 PSI to say 28 PSI and then things get interesting.

Don't forget having a spark plug with the proper 'Heat Range' when running high PSI boost or NOS affects the way an engine will run/perform.

Quote:

Slightly
offtopic.gif
, but does anyone know if NGK is subcontracted to AC Delco to produce their iridium plugs?? Also, has anyone tried the Champion iridiums yet (and do they actually manufacture these, or are they also possibly subcontracted out to another manufacturer)??

Actually, I was told that AC Delco has NGK make their plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back