Something my mechanic said. True or False???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it will push contaminants through the filter. But what it WILL do is dissolve any "gunk" that has been caught in the filter and carry it around again. I doubt this is any cause for concern, but it can happen.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
AND you should avoid opening any hydraulic or lubricating system if at all possible. Learn to use the oil pressure gage to tell you when to add oil.

WHAT!?!?!?!? There's this thing call the dipstick that's a better indicator of oil level than any idiot light or gauge.

I knew someone would like that comment!

Remember, using the oil pressure gage to know when the oil is down .5 quart is for leets only.

JK, anybody can do this. The key is to make lots of observations over time, while corresponding dipstick oil checks with oil pressure checks at some constant operating point (like 1500 RPM with 180F coolant, 200F oil, 65F ambient, on level ground). When you get in the habit, it's easy.

K

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Don't know what your talking about. I've had two different Accord generations and changing the oil filter is an absolute breeze. I've never heard of the TSB on leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. I've had a bunch of cars that did have that problem, but if you know what your doing, you can find ways to prevent it from happening in the first place. I seriously doubt Honda put in the every other OCI filter change for marketing. There is some truth and research in there. With Honda's reputation on the line, you think that would recommend that without some good data? The only problem Honda really has had is the 6th generation transmissions. It's a well known fact by now.

He's talking about the earlier generations. I had a 1994 that had a side mounted oil filter.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Johnny
On a closed hydraulic system I can agree with this statement 100%, but not on an internal combustion engine.

+1 TOTALLY INCORRECT HERE: on an internal combustion engine this is 100% irrelevant...does not even apply. The oil in an IC enguine is a "lube system" and not a "hydraulic system". Kind of like the difference between a violin and a cello. They both look alike but in reality are very different.

An engine lube system is a hydraulic system is a lube system is a hydraulic system is a lube system ad infinitum: same thing, different proportions and functional emphasis.

Actually, it's kind of like I was comparing a violin to a (acoustic) guitar. Very different, yes, but plenty of folks pluck violin strings, and more than one has toyed with taking a bow to a guitar. Why? Identical physics and identical principles at work.

Yes, they have gotten better. I could change the head gasket on my Alfa Romeo faster than I could change the oil on my sister's Prelude. The oil filter was on the back of the transverse engine, under the intake manifold. You had to remove a metal splash pan and reach up high to get to the filter. It was very difficult to reach unless you were able to stand under the car on a lift.

Here's one link referencing the oil filter fire issue:
For more Google "Honda exhaust manifold fire".

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57508

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back