Something my mechanic said. True or False???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
On a closed hydraulic system I can agree with this statement 100%, but not on an internal combustion engine.

Granted, an ICE is not a closed hydraulic system--after all, it comes into indirect contact with 250 CFM of (hopefully) filtered outside air, and direct contact with 10 CFM (hopefully) filtered air (PCV), but that doesn't mean that opening it and exposing it is good.

And we're all using awesome air filtration all around, right?

Well, we are in Wausau.
grin2.gif

I like Wausau. I like it better than where I grew up (Plover). We used to go and pick apples up by Wausau--huge, delicious Cortlands and Jonathans.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
AND you should avoid opening any hydraulic or lubricating system if at all possible. Learn to use the oil pressure gage to tell you when to add oil.

WHAT!?!?!?!? There's this thing call the dipstick that's a better indicator of oil level than any idiot light or gauge.

Originally Posted By: willix
If the filter media becomes restricted and the system to go into relief and will wash some of the particals back into the system from the dirty side of the media.

If that could happen it would happen anytime you cold start the engine. Also it would indicate the filter bypass should be ahead of the filter.

I always change the filter. My point is I think this mechanic is wrong and that changing your oil without changing your filter isn't going to make any more difference as far as the filter is concerned than had you just started the engine without draining and refilling the oil.

As some others mentioned an oil filter can actually filter better after being used.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
On a closed hydraulic system I can agree with this statement 100%, but not on an internal combustion engine.

+1 TOTALLY INCORRECT HERE: on an internal combustion engine this is 100% irrelevant...does not even apply. The oil in an IC enguine is a "lube system" and not a "hydraulic system". Kind of like the difference between a violin and a cello. They both look alike but in reality are very different.

It is perfectly fine to leave an oil filter in for 6-8000 miles or more. This is what happens when we use full synthetic oil , especially in a modern engine.
So changing your oil at 3-4,000 and leaving the filter in is not only acceptable, it is factory approved in some cases.

If anything I would change the filter and leave the old oil in if it was on a short run. I used to change the filter every 3000 miles and the oil every 6000 with PP.

Honda engineers know how to design engines that can make more than 100hp/liter, but don't know how to keep it running by recommending filter changed at every other oil change ?

I see this in many professions, not just auto mechanics. I call it "talking beyond what you know". Because a person is in a profession and knows more than the next person about a subject, they go ahead and start pushing the facts, substituting opinion for fact, knowing full well that nobody without his credentials will try to challenge him or prove him wrong.

I've seen this all too often as a junior engineer. At the time my colleagues didn't realize I was smart enough to catch on to their nonsense, regardless of their "PhD".

Oh, yes Honda's every other oil change filter schedule. Let's see, what company has historically had very hard to access oil filters(difficult/expensive oil changes) and a TSBs for leaking oil from the filter on exhaust manifolds causing fires.

Change it every other time because it is the best thing to do? Nope, change it every other time to reduce customer complaints and the chances of a fire by 50%.

Ed

Changing the filter every other change dates back to when cartridge filters were the style. The whole argument strikes me like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. The bottom line is that there nobody has any hard data either way. Cars generally get crushed before the engine dies. If you can minimize the maintenance costs to take a car to that point.. Me, I fix my own stuff and change the filter every oil change

I have an 09 Accord and I guess I benefit from the filter relocation compared to previous models. Why would they keep recommending to change the filter every other OCI then?

Marketing. Gee, look at what a wonderful car I bought, you only have to change the oil filter every other time!

As others have said, the every other time is probably fine. It's not really a question of filter life. Personally, I would rather not leave up to 10% dirty oil in the system every change.

Ed

I'd be somewhat suspect to believe that it is marketing that has led Honda to stick with this recommendation. However, I do agree that I wouldn't follow it. I change mine every OCI.

Don't know what your talking about. I've had two different Accord generations and changing the oil filter is an absolute breeze. I've never heard of the TSB on leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. I've had a bunch of cars that did have that problem, but if you know what your doing, you can find ways to prevent it from happening in the first place. I seriously doubt Honda put in the every other OCI filter change for marketing. There is some truth and research in there. With Honda's reputation on the line, you think that would recommend that without some good data? The only problem Honda really has had is the 6th generation transmissions. It's a well known fact by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back