Solar system ... price, duration, etc. from sales pitch

Don't trust any sales person especially with the good for the next 3 days only.Big red flag. Educate yourself on the subject then go shopping
^^This. And never under any circumstance trust door to door salesmen. They used to be everywhere in the 80s, trying to scam people.

What caught me by surprise though was the up in coming state mandate starting in 2032.
Can you independently verify that? I'm guessing that CA's solar requirement was only on new homes.
I would have asked if the salesperson if CA will require your neighbors to take down any trees shading your solar panels.

The life of the solar panels is what?

My understanding is that over time they loose efficiency as they age. I'd want to know the specifics on this. You need them functioning for 24 years or you have a payment with nothing in return.

Our local school got "grant" money that was really a glorified loan to put solar on a bunch of the buildings. Within a year the system was causing problems, not sure it is even functioning now or wasn't last time I heard. Waste of taxpayer funds for a system that will never pay for itself.
My panels are guaranteed to produce a minimum of 80% initial, by 30 years, IIRC.

The solar sales people came through my neighborhood a few times, and many of them signed up. I didn’t and I’m glad. The installations were a hack, and at least one of them isn’t saving any money at all. One neighbor went to refinance their home and discovered that the solar company applied a second mortgage of sorts on to their property. I’m too old to benefit from solar panels so I plan to check out without ever having any. ✌️

If you really want a new roofing, there are reputable contractors who do that. If you want new windows, tell us what’s wrong with the old ones. There may be some grants available for that.

Keep the solar system separate and attend to that later from a reputable firm using real numbers. There are too many moving parts to this deal and it’s rigged to clean out your wallet. My two cents.

Yes that seems like a lot of money at $78,912 and he said the price is only good for 3 days. He's coming back Saturday afternoon to get my decision.
Always, always run from any deal that is only good tonight, till tomorrow morning, whatever. He is trying to rush you into a rash decision. Study your options, then decide.

"The guy said he was a state inspector, although the badge on his reflective vest said '365 Solar.'"

Why would you let a "state inspector" into your house? If his vest said "365 Solar" then you know his is a liar. Again, run from him.

Soft Cars, I'm going to give you some life advice for free. Never buy anything because a salesman is selling it. Ever. They are highly trained. They have all the answers to any question you could come up with. Not necessarily true answers, just ones that will lead you to a sale. What they are doing is 100% for their benefit, not yours. I'll repeat, what they are doing is 100% for their benefit, not yours.

If you independently decide you want solar, do it the way JeffK advises.

Yes that seems like a lot of money at $78,912 and he said the price is only good for 3 days. He's coming back Saturday afternoon to get my decision.
I have a bad feeling if you let him come back he'll talk you into it. Call,text, or email him and decline.

If you're interested in home solar you need to do your own research, don't believe a salesman or a bunch of whack jobs on the internet.

These guys have (at times) some flat out incredible pricing. I've purchased Grade A panels from them for 30c per watt. Lately, the rate seems to be about 55c per watt.

Put another way, $4,500 gets you more than 8000 watts worth of panels. Throw them in the yard and hook them to the grid tie inverter. :eek:

A 13Kw system is pretty righteous for a single family home. Can you share a picture?

I have a 2500 sf home, gas heat, gas water heater, gas stove. We have a 4-ton and 2-ton AC/Furnace system. 1.5HP and 3/4HP pool pump. Just two of us in the home. All (95%) LED light bulbs. We do not have computers running at all.

Tesla says we need a 13kW system....

This is why I went with solar in 2019. For the stability. A 12.95kW system installed cost me $36K, financed for 20y at 2.99%.

I just did 9.5kw for 24k, now I wish I had just done Max T1 Size(10kw AC).

Biggest energy driver in my house in my HVAC (SEER 20) which accounts for a significant portion (>50%) of my bill during the summer, nothing I can do to save power other than sweat which is not an option

30% Tax rebate is great and FPL just released the rates for next year 7.4% increase which makes the ROI a little better but FPL has reduced rates before as well.

If you really want a new roofing, there are reputable contractors who do that. If you want new windows, tell us what’s wrong with the old ones. There may be some grants available for that.

Keep the solar system separate and attend to that later from a reputable firm using real numbers. There are too many moving parts to this deal and it’s rigged to clean out your wallet. My two cents.

I will say if you have a sun advantageous facing roof and are redoing it anyhow make sure to optimize for panel placement. I had a neighbor who got a new roof and did solar right after and has some roof vents on is south side which made him have panels placed on the north side...doh

Also - if many of you wonder why solar roof pricing has had an increase in cost, well..... the US Government is offering a 30% Federal Income Tax credit if you install between now and 2032. That's 10% more than it was.... a 50% increase in the credit.

Basically it means there's more money on the street for this product. Which causes inflation of the pricing.

Funny how that works, huh?

Back