Electric Company offers Solar Panel to rent on their Farm - Hoping for valuable input

Interesting concept but I’d need to see the full agreement. Ameren Missouri lets us enroll in community based solar but you pay a higher rate than our regular power cost. I guess it’s just for people to feel good.

I read through the link. What is probably throwing people is there used to for profit grifter utilities who are always looking for a handout. This appears to be a local electric co-op. Co-op's of this type are common in the deep South, because back in the day the banksters and fraudsters in NY wouldn't fund any infrastructure here, so they figured out ways to fund it themselves. There owned by and for the community. Of course now all the banksters want to retire here - but I digress.

If they had such a thing here I would consider it. Sounds like there simply looking for cashflow to fund operations. If it lasts your hedged against increasing electricity costs - since it sounds like the $5.50 per month is fixed for the term - although I clicked on the contract link and it seems broken.

If the math works out, I would be in. I suspect the output will drop over time, so there is some risk I suppose. Don't invest more than you can afford to loose.

I doubt Dominion will be offering any such thing here anytime soon. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I read through the link. What is probably throwing people is there used to for profit grifter utilities who are always looking for a handout. This appears to be a local electric co-op. Co-op's of this type are common in the deep South, because back in the day the banksters and fraudsters in NY wouldn't fund any infrastructure here, so they figured out ways to fund it themselves. There owned by and for the community. Of course now all the banksters want to retire here - but I digress.

If they had such a thing here I would consider it. Sounds like there simply looking for cashflow to fund operations. If it lasts your hedged against increasing electricity costs - since it sounds like the $5.50 per month is fixed for the term - although I clicked on the contract link and it seems broken.

If the math works out, I would be in. I suspect the output will drop over time, so there is some risk I suppose. Don't invest more than you can afford to loose.

I doubt Dominion will be offering any such thing here anytime soon. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
They offered it in Utah and sold out.

So you are "locked into) paying $538 for an $80 panel. What if you want to get out after a year. Do you get a refund? Let me guess.
Need to see the ENTIRE agreement.
Huh?
You pay $5.30 a month no commitment not locked into anything
Or you can buy service until 2035 for $538

If you can install solar panels on a roof for $80 you would make a fortune but we know you can’t

All the information you need is in the link I provided. It doesn’t take rocket science to understand what they are saying expect a return of $46 a year in credit on your bill for each panel and you pay $3.50 rent per month for each panel no commitment no contract

Yes, same here.
There’s none available for rent right now until they expand or whatever.
There is no term it’s month to month rental at $3.50 or if you want you can buy all the years until 2035 for an additional discount.

A co-op is a nonprofit utility owned by the actual customers of the utility.
The customers vote in the board that runs the co-op.
Of course, they are always looking to cut costs for everybody including asking to volunteer only email that goes out on high usage days when wholesale electricity gets expensive they actually give you a number of how much they will save that day if people cut back for a three hour period.
The more money they save up for the course of the year goes directly to the customers because the customers own the utility

Last edited:
Interesting concept but I’d need to see the full agreement. Ameren Missouri lets us enroll in community based solar but you pay a higher rate than our regular power cost. I guess it’s just for people to feel good.

Here is the agreement a whole three pages.
Right from the website, I posted
No higher rates no nothing.
Our rate is $.10 a kilowatt hour and it remains $.10 a kilowatt hour and whatever the solar panel generates you get paid $.10 a kilo one hour. It’s so simple it’s stupid and may be why the conspiracy theorists have an issue with it.🤪
I can understand in other parts of the country how everything is so convoluted but
that is the fault of the people who live there.
🙃

The second link does work which is much more feasible anyway at $3.50 a month per panel, month to month, no contract
Maybe the more expensive option isn’t there because they are now out of panels to rent I don’t know. Or it’s just actually a broken link.
Here is the $3.50 a month rental agreement

Call me crazy but this type of set up might make a lot of people in the for-profit industry. Nervous.

The second link does work which is much more feasible anyway at $3.50 a month per panel, month to month, no contract
Maybe the more expensive option isn’t there because they are now out of panels to rent I don’t know. Or it’s just actually a broken link.
Here is the $3.50 a month rental agreement

Call me crazy but this type of set up might make a lot of people in the for-profit industry. Nervous.
So there is a lot of fine print - looks like they get to set the rate at whatever they want: "multiplied by the current energy credit inBEMC’s Rider RNM, Rate 30"

Also, either party can terminate with notice more or less anytime they want. So my guess - it will likely end up being somewhere around neutral - between them getting to set the energy credit rate and cancel the program - I doubt its going to be a huge money saver either way.

Nonetheless I still might do it. Having a local co-op for your utility is a good thing IMHO. I had one in an area i lived in the past. Most don't produce any electricity themselves and simply buy electricity on the wholesale market. Having some capacity of their own makes them a little more independent. In fact, I am not much of a green, but I really like the idea of renewable energy - because if they ever come up with solid state grid storage - individuals or small communities can set up their own system, wave their middle finger at the the big utilities and government, and do their own thing. One less way to control us.

Who is your utility? Is it a public Utility - or a private company, like Dominion or Duke or whomever.

We had a great public Utility in South Carolina - SCE&G. Until the state government decided to bankrupt them and then handed them to Dominion against the will of anyone that could read and some deceptive marketing on Dominion's part.

Who is your utility? Is it a public Utility - or a private company, like Dominion or Duke or whomever.

We had a great public Utility in South Carolina - SCE&G. Until the state government decided to bankrupt them and then handed them to Dominion against the will of anyone that could read and some deceptive marketing on Dominion's part.
Why? What difference does it make? It's Dominion.

Why? What difference does it make?
Because a co-op or a public utility does things differently than a for profit utility becuase there motive is to break even and provide a service. My point was Dominion Energy is most likely not going to offer me a service or business opportunity that benefits me because there a for profit enterprise. At best I might get an offer if it benefits me and benefits them more. I am not complaining - just stating a fact.

Because a co-op or a public utility does things differently than a for profit utility becuase there motive is to break even and provide a service. My point was Dominion Energy is most likely not going to offer me a service or business opportunity that benefits me because there a for profit enterprise. At best I might get an offer if it benefits me and benefits them more. I am not complaining - just stating a fact.
But Dominion is offering it in other states (Like Utah) with success. So your thoughts are not applicable elsewhere.

I am not going to go through that much effort for the sake of this discussion. All I know is at present the offer is sold out.
So then how are my thoughts on Dominion not applicable if you have no clue on how the deal is scheduled. Just because they sold out doesn't mean its a economically beneficial deal for the buyer? The only reality is your thoughts on Dominion are higher than mine, and you know what they say about opinions.

I imagine either way both the OP's utility and Dominion in Utah are taking advantage of tax credits, so its most likely a good deal for both utilities.

The fact that you are not locked in is a win win
You know, for fun I want to rent let's say 20 panels but as the site says, currently fully subscribed.
I will apply for the waiting list. I have decided to for starters ask for 20 panels. I repeat for others who do not follow all the posts, our electric per kWr is dirt cheap, I want to go this for no other reason than fun.
I could care less about environmental reasons. Cheapest price always wins.

"The Community Solar program is fully subscribed. To be placed on a waiting list as panels become available, complete one of the Community Solar Customer Agreements below and email the completed form to [email protected]. We will contact you in the order agreements are received."​

So there is a lot of fine print - looks like they get to set the rate at whatever they want: "multiplied by the current energy credit inBEMC’s Rider RNM, Rate 30"

Also, either party can terminate with notice more or less anytime they want. So my guess - it will likely end up being somewhere around neutral - between them getting to set the energy credit rate and cancel the program - I doubt its going to be a huge money saver either way.

Nonetheless I still might do it. Having a local co-op for your utility is a good thing IMHO. I had one in an area i lived in the past. Most don't produce any electricity themselves and simply buy electricity on the wholesale market. Having some capacity of their own makes them a little more independent. In fact, I am not much of a green, but I really like the idea of renewable energy - because if they ever come up with solid state grid storage - individuals or small communities can set up their own system, wave their middle finger at the the big utilities and government, and do their own thing. One less way to control us.
Yes, the co-ops shop energy like we shop cell phone companies.
They sign contracts with terms and stipulations.
I still remember our last co-op had a contract to purchase electricity from the two new nuclear plants that were being built in SC. I still remember getting the notice that they were selling the contracts to another company ( I forgot but a big company, maybe Duke or one of the ones Dominion now owns?) because I interpreted that they had an uneasy feeling regarding timely construction of the plants and costs. Not much later, I forgot time frame, the insinuation of a scandal started brewing. .. Years later as you know, construction stopped and bankrupt. Wow, was they a good move by them.

It could be said, co-ops are really in a good position to buy power from the least expensive source.

Last edited:
Im not sure what any of this means but putting an application in right now for (still figuring that out) at least to rent 20 panels.
No commitment and can cancel at any time.

Also if you do the entire lease upfront until 2035 if you move they will buy back the remaining part of the lease. Remember all you skeptics this is a co-op owned by the customers.
I have no idea what this means but this is today as of 11:30 AM EST and if you notice data would then be from 2 hours ago roughly 9:30am
Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 11.31.27 AM.png

Im not sure what any of this means but putting an application in right now for (still figuring that out) at least to rent 20 panels.
No commitment and can cancel at any time.

Also if you do the entire lease upfront until 2035 if you move they will buy back the remaining part of the lease. Remember all you skeptics this is a co-op owned by the customers.
I have no idea what this means but this is today as of 11:30 AM EST and if you notice data would then be from 2 hours ago roughly 9:30am
View attachment 169093
I think this tells you that they had produced 51.56kWh, so if you knew the number of panels and sun hours profile for your zip code, you could proabably grab the 30 day average, figure out the number of watts per panel, do the math for the year and decide if there math on potential per panel is accurate.

Remember they do degrade over time, not sure by how much.

I agree that its unlikely a co-op would purposely mislead their customers - ie themselves.

Back