Solar system ... price, duration, etc. from sales pitch

The solar panel people payed my a visit today. They said they would replace the roof, replace the electrical panel, replace the windows, and install solar panels all for $274 per month for the next 24 years. Adds up to $78,912 at the end of 24 years. They said that the PG&E power company is going to start raising the price of electricity and natural gas by 21% every year. Energy bills will eventually be as much as $700 per month. They also said that by the year 2032, all homes in California must be energy self sufficient or face heavy fines by the state. I asked the guy what would I do if I needed to sell the house before my contract ends in 24 years. He said to tack on the price of the contract to the selling price of the home. Hmm . . . .
Wait and research for the next ten years then make a decision.
Why pay a $78,000 penalty to a sales person?
… and who cares what someone who is trying to sell you an $80,000 project says regarding future costs?
Also in 24 years your roof and windows will be very old and the panels outdated and old

Yes that seems like a lot of money at $78,912 and he said the price is only good for 3 days. He's coming back Saturday afternoon to get my decision.
If you want have him call me LOL.
First thing to do is kick him off your pro and do not engage in a conversation with him/her or them.
One word repeated over and over
= “leave”

The life of the solar panels is what?

My understanding is that over time they loose efficiency as they age. I'd want to know the specifics on this. You need them functioning for 24 years or you have a payment with nothing in return.

Our local school got "grant" money that was really a glorified loan to put solar on a bunch of the buildings. Within a year the system was causing problems, not sure it is even functioning now or wasn't last time I heard. Waste of taxpayer funds for a system that will never pay for itself.
They are rated from 20-25 years.

They do lose efficiency as they age,
In cali but under nem 2 you could easily see a 5 year ROI, giving you 15 years of pure return, under nem 3 just forget the whole thing.

They can be the equivalent of a small oil field of money, a total waste of money or anything in between.

There are legitimate solar companies and there are scammers. You clearly got one of the scammers at your house. Sad thing is there are people out there like the elderly and those who don't know what the truth is that will take the bait.

Our neighbors paid (borrowed) $40,000 for solar and two years later divorced and sold the house. No buyer would give him that $40,000 extra for his house. He ended up selling the house for what other similar NON solar homes in the area sold for and paid off the loan with the equity he had in the home.

If California had passed such a law about "all homes" being energy self-sufficient by 2032, you would have seen news reports, blogs, forums, etc., discussing that. You haven't, have you?

Who would enforce something like that anyway? Most older houses are not suitable for installing solar panels.

Since you are talking about an entire package FWIW -I did, cool-roof, solar, whole house fan all last fall.

Even during weeks where it was 100+ every day my summertime need for AC dropped in half or more with the cool roof and whole house fan.

Since you are talking about an entire package FWIW -I did, cool-roof, solar, whole house fan all last fall.

Even during weeks where it was 100+ every day my summertime need for AC dropped in half or more with the cool roof and whole house fan.

I know what a whole house fan is, but what is a cool roof?

If you were to have a disaster and your home was totaled out due to a fire the insurance company probably wouldn't pay you any extra either. I would do the roof at one time and the windows another time. There is too much blue sky in your estimate. My brother had solar panels installed for $15,000 and he said it would take him 10 years to break even.

They said that the PG&E power company is going to start raising the price of electricity and natural gas by 21% every year.
That 21% increase might actually be true, for this year. I thought there are new energy taxes around that size in the "stop inflation" bill passed last year that kick in this year.

It increasing that much EVERY year wouldn't be surprising in today's world, but I wouldn't take anyone seriously on it unless they have a certified crystal ball or they stole my time machine.

The only CA law that Google can find regarding home energy self sufficiency is that all NEW homes have to be energy self sufficient by 2020. Nothing about existing houses. The guy is also taking a lot of liberties with his projections on energy costs, even for CA. You didn't mention what interest rate the guy was offering but you are essentially taking out a second mortgage on your house with this project at whatever interest rate he has figured in. And I'm with the other folks who have doubts the solar equipment or the roof will last as long as the payments.

I wouldn't do anything until I had priced out these jobs and the financing from several sources on my own, but given the used car sales tactics this guy is employing I wouldn't buy a pack of gum from HIM.

Back