SOHC vs DOHC in economy cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be some benefit to the DOHC config versus the SOHC config, whether it's a 2,3, or 4 valve per cylinder.

When was the last time we ever saw a SOHC Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini? I think the last SOHC Porsche, Ferrari, or Lambo had to be close to 30 years ago..

I believe all recent vintage Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini's are DOHC..

Last edited:
Well, I'd argue that cars in that class are just as much if not more susceptible to the "marketing" thing as cars in lower classes. After all, when was the last time you saw a Porsche etc without drilled brake rotors?

Even so, an advantage at that level of performance doesn't necessarily imply that there's an advantage at lower levels. IMO the interesting topic here isn't whether there is an absolute performance advantage to DOHC at higher power levels (that seems to be generally accepted) but whether there's an advantage in cost or performance at the "economy" or family car level.

Oh, yeah, and I've got a Motor Trend sitting in front of me with a review of the Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series. Technically it may not be a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lambo, but it's got a 6.0 liter 661 HP/738 lb*ft twin turbo V12. 36 valve SOHC :)

Originally Posted By: rationull
Well, I'd argue that cars in that class are just as much if not more susceptible to the "marketing" thing as cars in lower classes. After all, when was the last time you saw a Porsche etc without drilled brake rotors?

Quick side note: I thought Porsche made those holes in the casting, not by drilling. Maybe that was only for the ceramic ones, though...

Even so, an advantage at that level of performance doesn't necessarily imply that there's an advantage at lower levels. IMO the interesting topic here isn't whether there is an absolute performance advantage to DOHC at higher power levels (that seems to be generally accepted) but whether there's an advantage in cost or performance at the "economy" or family car level.

+1

Originally Posted By: momomeister
There has to be some benefit to the DOHC config versus the SOHC config, whether it's a 2,3, or 4 valve per cylinder.

When was the last time we ever saw a SOHC Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini? I think the last SOHC Porsche, Ferrari, or Lambo had to be close to 30 years ago..

I believe all recent vintage Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini's are DOHC..

People model San Fransisco with a million toothpicks.

It seems like most econo-car engines, even those in the B-segment (Yaris, Accent, Versa for instance) tend to be DOHC these days. When manufacturers like Honda and Mitsubishi can get by with SOHC designs with 4 valves per cylinder (and still make comparable or better power than the competition), why is this the case? Given SOHC heads are smaller, lighter and (I assume) cheaper, why go DOHC for smaller, relatively low power engines?

Well, the assumption that SOHC is necessarily smaller/lighter/cheaper is flawed. Given that there are a multitude of ways to actually actuate the valves from the cam (bucket followers with shims, roller fingers with or without hydraulic lash adjusters, rocker arms with or without hydro lash adjusters, single rocker driving two valves from one cam, single finger driving 2 valves from 1 cam, individual finger or rocker per valve, etc.) Clearly there are a LOT of variables to play with, all of which affect cost to assemble, Noise-Vibration-Harshness (NVH), engine package size, and performance.

A good case study for you would be the original Chrysler 2.0 engine from the first Neon, as it came in both SOHC and DOHC flavors. When you peel away the packaging, a fundamental difference boiled down to the included angle between the intake and exhaust valves, and the effect that had on scavenging and flow. But then, that could have been altered by a different valve actuation method, too!

It really is too complicated to just say "SOHC is cheaper, DOHC is better." In fact, I suspect that the little throw-away super-eco cars tend to go to DOHC because it can actually be made very compact- often more compact than SOHC if you're willing to compromise on valve angle (and econo cars aren't going for ultimate performance anyway). It can also be made very cheap to produce if the very inexpensive method of having the cams act directly in-line with the valves is used, although that costs a little more overall engine height.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I haven't seen many SOHC with 4 valves per cylinder design.

There are many out there (Chrysler's venerable 3.5L and 4.0 v6 engines, for example). Its actually simple to implement if you're willing to tolerate a wider valve cover, and it can reduce valvetrain inertia depending on implementaion. Again, SOHC/quad valve is neither superior nor inferior to DOHC quad valve. Its just another "tool in the chest" for the engine designer to work with. Again picking on Chrysler (just because I'm familiar with their products)- they weren't married to SOHC quad valves either, using DOHC quad valves for the 2.0 and 2.4 4-cylinders as well as for the 2.7L v6.

As others have pointed out, these days "DOHC" carries more marketing cachet, but that's the only clear-cut advantage. :)

Yup, it's about implementation, not just parts count. A case in point was my 1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L vs my parent's 198X Lexus with the 2.5L. The Alfa was 2 valves per cylinder, SOHC. The toyota engine was four valves per cylinder and DOHC. The Alfa made more HP, more torque, and got about 10% better fuel economy. The Lexus didn't leak oil.
grin2.gif

The Alfa was an interesting design. The intake valves were opened directly by the cam with their traditional shim and bucket arrangement. The exhaust valves were activated by a short pushrod that ran 90 degrees to the head.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back