Snow Tire Size Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, ive got a 2009 nissan versa sedan. Stock tires are 185/65R15. Im currently shopping for winter tires and wanted some feedback. Should I stick with the factory size for my winter tires, or would it give me better traction to got to a 195/65R15 tire instead.
My winter package is going to consist of Unique Wheels steelies, and Michelin X-Ice2 tires. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

I would stick with the factory size. You definitely don't want to go wider for winter. If anything, you want to go narrower for deep snow, but in your case, I think 185 is narrow enough.

Quote:
and Michelin X-Ice2 tires. Any suggestions?

Also look at General Altimax Arctic. They get better user ratings when it comes to snow traction, and they're also about $25 less expensive (per tire).

Last edited:
If you are buying separate rims, then go with the smallest rim that will fit on your car, so look at the base model, as they usually have the smallest wheels that are available.
Then, buy the narrowest tire that is available for that rim size. Basically in winter you don't want a wide tire, as it will pack the snow in front of it, you want a narrow tire to slice through the snow.

Yes, always go to narrower tires or stay OEM.

I have Michelin Ice2 tires and like them a lot as they are really quiet.
They seems to be OK on snow and ice.

It depends of your use: Do you get a lot of snowed roads or do you use only large roads?

If you don't have too much snow on the roads, Michelin are good tires as they are a good compromise. Otherwise, you may better choose a more "ice and snow specific" tire.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Then, buy the narrowest tire that is available for that rim size.

Just keep in mind the minimum load rating index.

I was wondering, with snow steelies, i dont have hubcaps. Are hubcaps recommended? I was wondering if they would keep the snow out, thus possibly prolonging the life of my steelies and delaying rust onset?

I've always just stuck with the OEM size on my cars. The only time I've had different sizes for summer and winter is if I bought a larger dia. rim for the summer season and used the OEM rims for winter. Winter tires don't handle as well anyway and going skinnier is only going to make it worse. I'd stay with the stock size if I were you, especially since it has an aspect ratio of 65. If it were a 50 series tire then I'd seriously consider a smaller rim and taller/skinnier rubber for winter but not with what you have.

The Michelin X-Ice2 tires look to be a great tire. I'm considering them myself when my Blizzaks wear out which is likely this winter.

General Artic altimax or Michelin X-Ice. Ohio and New jersey roads in the winter. Opinions?

Originally Posted By: versaguy
I was wondering, with snow steelies, i dont have hubcaps. Are hubcaps recommended? I was wondering if they would keep the snow out, thus possibly prolonging the life of my steelies and delaying rust onset?

Wouldn't hubcaps make it harder to wash? If you've got road salt you might want to rinse them off.

Get the skinniest OEM size made for your car. Your owner's manual probably has a listing of the tire specs with both the base model and higher cost wheels & tires.

The skinny tire digs down deeper in the snow for better grip. Say you have 500# on each tire on that Versa. If you have 5 square inches of contact patch, that's 100 psi of contact pressure. If you have a skinny tire with 4 sq. in., you have 125 psi contact pressure. More grip. Wide floation tires are useful if the snow depth is 110% or more of the car's ground clearance...so just about every case skinny is better.

I'd rather just have good 195/60 or 65 - 15 all-seasons. I sold the oem tires on my last 2 new cars and replaced immediately.

On our Astra, I replaced 4 17" tires for $160 total.

I'm just saying.

Heck, if it was me, I'd shoot for 205/60-15 like the Potenza RE960s for $49

I'm just saying.

Get the snows next year when you really need them, after the nice all-seasons wear down a little.

I'm just saying.

get 185/65

you will be happy with the michelin xi2

its great for the winters here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back