Snap-on pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know that snap on tools can be expensive. Today a new snap-on dealer came by with a flyer.

I about fainted at his prices. $1000 for a 3/4 impact! $63 for 2 hooks and 1 link of chain!

IMG_20190228_194508.jpg

IMG_20190228_194443.jpg

The tool truck sales people want their customers to finance their over priced tools. I'm seeing a lot more HF tools in shops lately.

Those tools are REALLY good, and have a local rep who shows up and backs them up, so if you're a professional using them every day I can see the appeal. But dang, it sure seems like the ones that cost 1/3 or less might be good for a few years until you save up for the best stuff.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
A set of wrenches 10mm--19mm is $500 now.

A few years ago I replaced my Matco metric long pattern wrenches with snap on. Fortunately they were on sale for about $300 + I got the set set free. Well considered free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Ruitt
Those tools are REALLY good, and have a local rep who shows up and backs them up, so if you're a professional using them every day I can see the appeal. But dang, it sure seems like the ones that cost 1/3 or less might be good for a few years until you save up for the best stuff.

I work at a shop and I consider myself a professional. No way would I pay those prices.

In 1986 when I bought my bottom box, one of my clients asked me how much my new tool box cost. I told him 3 grand, he asked if it came full of tools! I think my bottom box is a kr1000, but its been along time, I could be wrong. I would hate to buy all of my tools now!

Originally Posted by Chris142
I work at a shop and I consider myself a professional. No way would I pay those prices.

Did you ever get your 13mm and 15mm Matco wrenches replaced? As I remember, you either wore them out or lost them.

I wrench on the weekend as do several friends. We were all a Craftsman bunch and have gone to HF over the past few years since craftsman also went to China. (That as well as HF quality has really improved over the past 2-3 years).

Those prices are ridiculous plus some. Unless the impact wrench has a lifetime guarantee, I do not see spending that kind of money, shop or no shop.

For sockets try the Williams USA made, 20 piece for $75 from Zoro. Other than the knurling and the name stamping I cant tell the difference from Snap on, they come from the same factory and use the same dies and heat treating.

Snap On might be on the way to pricing itself out of the market. Even pro mechanics have a budget, will start doing the math and balk at the prices as they reach a high mark .

Last edited:
So over priced even Snap on must realise it! The future for Snap on does not look good IMO.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Snap On might be on the way to pricing itself out of the market. Even pro mechanics have a budget, will start doing the math and balk at the prices as they reach a high mark .

Not even close, Snap-on will be around for as long or longer than their competitors. Mac Tools is still around, One of the few things Matco makes themselves are tool boxes. I'm not sure Cornwell makes anything.
SO pricing has always been crazy with air tools & shop equipment.

With the Euro low now, German tools (including air-tools) are getting more competitively priced by a day.
On top of that, German economy is very dependent on exports, and deals are to be expected.
Wit the recent Hoffmann expansion to USA, smaller dealers should be more flexible.

Hazet air-tools have always been top shelf.

And Japanese airtools are definitely of the highest quality.

Do mechanics earn that much to justify the costs? I doubt that an average one makes anything to write home about.
I understand the attraction to male jewellery - I have no problem with that, but there is not enough of that to sustain all these 'dealers'.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Who buys Snap-on air tools? That's like buying a Snap-on floor jack......
crazy2.gif

Not quite. Snap-on makes their own air tools in Murphy, North Carolina.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Who buys Snap-on air tools? That's like buying a Snap-on floor jack......
crazy2.gif

Not quite. Snap-on makes their own air tools in Murphy, North Carolina.

And not any better than IR or Aircat in my opinion.

Thank God my family never told me "you get what you pay for" when I was a kid. My girlfriend bought a digital scale about 25 years ago for $300, but it's lifetime guaranteed for only a $30 exchange fee. Of course the same quality scale today costs well under $20.

Seems like you could break and lose several lifetimes of HF stuff for one Snap on tool. Course I'm cheap and don't understand the finer things in life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back