Small Engine Oil - What Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years back AutoZone had a special on Peak motor oil. I bought 5 quarts of SAE 30 for $9.99 and threw away the cheap filter that came with it. I finished the 2nd of 5 bottles this past spring.

I run Mobil-1 0W-30 in my Cub Cadet snow thrower and Lucas semi-synthetic 2-stroke oil in my 2-cycle engines.

M1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in everything except the really hard working stuff. Such as water pumps and air cooled, 11HP Generator. As those get M1 15W-50.

Been through this for years. What I choose works perfectly in my applications. South Florida heat and humidity.

I use whatever is laying around that seems thick enough.
As long as it isn't a twenty grade, it should be okay for the OPEs.
What else are you going to use orphan quarts or fractions thereof for?

In my relatively new B & S 5500 watt generator I'm using the Briggs & Stratton synthetic 5W-30, I'm in northern NJ. Lowe's carries it for $5.98/quart, I work there and bought 6 quarts for $4.78. I've seen it on Amazon for $12.98/quart
shocked.gif
! In my older power washer I'm using straight 30 weight. It's a pig on fuel dilution in oil. It's only used in the warm weather so the straight 30 is fine. I've used Valvoline out of convenience. My 2 strokes are getting synthetic oil.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dufus2
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Also running a Kohler oil filter Wix 51348 or Purolator L10241 as a less expensive alternative to the small engine filter.

Have you taken a look at the Motorcraft FL-400S?
Motocraft makes a good filter, no doubt. I usually buy this filter at the NAPA store and walmart has the T5 oil and Purolator at low prices. I will check out the Motorcraft filter. Thanks for the number.

FL-910S is actually the direct cross for a Purolator 10241. The FL-400S won't fit on my Kohler 17HP, it's a little too long. The FL-910S works great though. They are the same other than the length. I saw the Kohler branded filters at Tractor Supply the other day, they were E-Cores and they were 12 bucks. No thanks.

20121129_214609.jpg
[/URL]

I've used all kinds of oil in my small engines. Everything from 20w-50, 10w-30, 15w-40, 5w-30 and of course 30HD. No real problems with oil. I've had good luck with small engines just keeping them topped off with clean oil.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
The FL-400S won't fit on my Kohler 17HP, it's a little too long.

I've used a FL-400S on that same engine -- it just has to be the revised, smaller version that's been on the market for awhile now (the older model will indeed not fit). If I recall correctly, things are a bit tight getting it initially threaded.

Also running a Kohler oil filter Wix 51348 or Purolator L10241 as a less expensive alternative to the small engine filter.
Quote:
I will check out the Motorcraft FL-400S filter. Thanks for the number.
Quote:
FL-910S is actually the direct cross for a Purolator 10241. The FL-400S won't fit on my Kohler 17HP, it's a little too long. The FL-910S works great though. They are the same other than the length. I saw the Kohler branded filters at Tractor Supply the other day, they were E-Cores and they were 12 bucks. No thanks.

I noticed the length was over an inch, but no Motorcraft supplier here. Wix is as good as any other brand. The small engine filters are over $10 everywhere and automotive filters are just as good.

I have fram ulra filters on the rider and dr trimmer.
I have used amsoil in some of my stuff, i have it in a brigg 3.75spiritII powered mower, intec206 5.5hp (log splitter), clinton show motor.
most all other ope's of mine get whatever pceo is laying around. usually 5w-20 sometimes 5w-30.

Ken

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Dufus2 said:
but no Motorcraft supplier here.

no Wal-Mart?

Its a small town and Wal-Mart has phased out the MC & ST filters and added Purolator. There is also those 'orange things' on the shelf. I had one of those STP filters from Autozone and was not impressed when it was cut open. I prefer to buy my filters from NAPA as their stuff is top quality and reasonably priced.

Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40. But since syn blend 10w30 came on to the scene I picked up a case. The snowblower has Brad Penn 5w30 in it now. Smoooooth.

Its a small town and Wal-Mart has phased out the MC & ST filters and added Purolator.

If you want to try the FL-400S, just go to the customer service desk at Wal-Mart and give them this number: 0003150825965

It'll be delivered to your local store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back