Small Engine Oil - What Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my Lawn Tractor equipped with a 31 series Briggs & Stratton engine. I bought this ProSelect 4Cycle engine oil from a local building supply. It's made by 'Omni Specialty Packaging' in Shreveport, LA. I read this company is partnered with Phillips/Conoco, who makes great products.

One of the small engine repair shops I go to has Super Tech SAE 30 oil on the shelf and Mobil-1 10W30. Just not sure if there is any advantage to using a dedicated Small Engine Oil in air cooled engines?

In the past, I was using 4-Stroke engine oil from Amsoil but it is a little expensive and is overkill for a consumer lawnmower.

bf1jev.jpg

Rotella T6 5W40 for me if I care about it and it needs to start in -20C like my generator or ATV. The brigs rotor tiller run 2hr/year gets whatever is handy as most of the oil leaks out if its not stored perfectly flat.

I think any of the HDEO 10w30 would suffice. Rotella T is a good one and many here use it. Those specialty oils are often overpriced and offer no benefit to a robust HDEO.

Although it claims to exceed SJ and SH, there is no actual certification. Looks very sketchy to me. I run 30wt detergent, or 5W30 if I have some, usualy 30w chevron from the local cash and carry.

I ran M1 10w-30 in my lawn tractor with a Kohler engine for 14 years since it was new. Just switched to Rotella T5 for the first time before I put it away for the winter this year. My walk behind snow blower with a 10 hp Tecumseh gets M1 5w-30.

I have use Supertech SAE 30 and Penzoil Platinum 10w30 in my small engines and they both work perfectly. Start up was always easier with 10w30 though

Does that label really say "Dufus2"? Struck me kind of funny! Text edit no doubt!

Last edited:
My Husqvarna push mower gets M1 0w40.

My 50cc scooter (49cc liquid cooled) gets a 50/50 mix of M1 Racing 0w50 and M1 0w20 AFE.

All my other small engines are 2T.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
I ran M1 10w-30 in my lawn tractor with a Kohler engine for 14 years since it was new. Just switched to Rotella T5 for the first time before I put it away for the winter this year. My walk behind snow blower with a 10 hp Tecumseh gets M1 5w-30.

Was considering Rotella T5 10w30 as a less expensive alternative to the Amsoil product that has been in this mower for the past two years LOL.

Also running a Kohler oil filter Wix 51348 or Purolator L10241 as a less expensive alternative to the small engine filter.

Did not expect such a response during the off season. Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
Also running a Kohler oil filter Wix 51348 or Purolator L10241 as a less expensive alternative to the small engine filter.

Have you taken a look at the Motorcraft FL-400S?

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
Does that label really say "Dufus2"? Struck me kind of funny! Text edit no doubt!
Had my pictures stolen before and was unable to find any info online about this oil. Posted the labeling for others to read as general information.

I have used a little bit of everything but now I pretty much use Rotella T5 10w30 but have run a bunch of Rotella 15w40 as well.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Dufus2

Have you taken a look at the Motorcraft FL-400S?
Motocraft makes a good filter, no doubt. I usually buy this filter at the NAPA store and walmart has the T5 oil and Purolator at low prices. I will check out the Motorcraft filter. Thanks for the number.

Caltex C3 synthetic ATM...tip it into a lubromoly bottle, and shake well to get the dregs out of the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back