Sludge starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about motorcraft semi for $11.50 at wally-world. good oil cheap. costco has chevron on sale at times. good dino.

Originally Posted By: cassidy
Hows Castrol do for cleaning, I noticed its priced higher at Walmart than the others?

Eh, its good, but not worth the extra 2.50 they want for it. IMO.

Have you tried looking after you poured some fresh oil in? Because like a couple others have said, it could just be pooled up oil.

If Supertech has a synthetic version then try that and see what happens.

To combat any chance of sludge I always take my truck/car out on the freeway for a good while to get the oil nice and hot to circulate it through out inside the engine.

Durango

Look at the VOA for supertech,it looks like Mobil clean 5000 is better than that .It's dino so..no problems with those pesky service managers,and as a side note the factory fill Honda oil is supposedly very good as well.

It may be a good idea to use a high detergent/dispersant synthetic for a couple OCI's, and then use a good quality dino if you wish, such as MC5000, or PYB. For the synthetic, you certainly don't need to pay the premium price for PU. PP is an excellent choice. Given that your OCI's are on the border for what a dino can be expected to deal with, you may just want to stay with the PP.

I would say that 85% of my driving is highyway, 40 miles round trip to to work and back. Some of you are saying stick with good dino , the other half are saying synthetic all the way. Has anybody used the supertech synthetic ? It's made by WPP, I've never used any of their products, the supertech dino that I have been using is made by Mobil.

If I had to pick from those listed I would only go for the PU only. The best suggestion I would give is to use the PP which here shows great success. Just look at the UOA,
19.gif
most show great results.

I would say that 85% of my driving is highyway, 40 miles round trip to to work and back. Some of you are saying stick with good dino , the other half are saying synthetic all the way. Has anybody used the supertech synthetic ? It's made by WPP, I've never used any of their products, the supertech dino that I have been using is made by Mobil.

I really can't think of why, with the type of driving you're doing, there would be any sludge buildup, even after 7k OCI's. I would definitely get a UOA done on this engine. Switching to a cheaper synthetic, or name brand high quality Dino would probably take care of the problem, if it isn't related to some kind of engine problem.

Originally Posted By: dgee
i'd say MC5K or PYB for a 5K OCI if you want to stick with dino
Well, I want to go by the olm so maybe I will switch to a synthetic at the next oc. I am stuck on three brands, Valvoline Synpower, Mobil 1, or Penzoil Ultra. Which one shoul I go with?

Whatever is the cheapest of the three. PU shouldn't even be in the equation with PP is out there for less dollars IMO...especially since you are doing 7500 oci

Sludge starting? Try a pint of MMO for the last 1000 miles of your OCI. It will keep sludge at bay. For a sludge problem, use a qt for a full OCI, then if the engine is sludge prone use a pint for the last 1000 miles of the OCI's after.

I've been using Mobil 1 products for many years. Might be better products out there, might not. At any rate, it wills serve you well too. Bottom line, just pick any quality product and stick with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vulthoom

I really can't think of why, with the type of driving you're doing, there would be any sludge buildup, even after 7k OCI's. I would definitely get a UOA done on this engine. Switching to a cheaper synthetic, or name brand high quality Dino would probably take care of the problem, if it isn't related to some kind of engine problem.
The only thing I can think of is that I was pushing the ST dino a little too far. Should the ST dino be able to handle a 7500 mile oci? I have heard its strong to 5000 miles, but maybe 7000+ is a little much for it. I get discounts at Napa through a freind, do you think their house brand dino is better than ST? They tell me its Valvoline in their bottles, but I have read thats its a different additive package than VWB.

The only thing I can think of is that I was pushing the ST dino a little too far. Should the ST dino be able to handle a 7500 mile oci? I have heard its strong to 5000 miles, but maybe 7000+ is a little much for it. I get discounts at Napa through a freind, do you think their house brand dino is better than ST? They tell me its Valvoline in their bottles, but I have read thats its a different additive package than VWB.

If you're determined to use dino at 7500 OCI's then at least use a good brand name oil. You get better add packs with the brands than you do with generic. If it were me however, I would go with a decent grp III oil for the added protection it can provide over dino, especially at those change intervals. If price is a concern, you can always find deals if you look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back