Size of fork lifts for boat rack storage

I am amazed at the size of the fork lift moving large boats around like toys. Here is a picture of my 27' boat being moved out of the rack storage building.

PXL_20230607_194640369.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yard lifts. Amazing how much weight they can lift. Large lumber companies, paper companies, steel companies etc use similar lifts.

Local marina has a huge one, they also use it to sit boats directly into the water and extract boats directly from the water to on the rack.
Lots of people who use that marina don't even own a trailer.

Nice boat!! Back when I worked for an airline they had fork lifts nearly that size to move jet engines around. The larger engines weigh around 10,000 lbs and it's another several thousand when you factor in the stand that they're mounted in.

Local marina has a huge one, they also use it to sit boats directly into the water and extract boats directly from the water to on the rack.
Lots of people who use that marina don't even own a trailer.
So my boat is an I/O and the marina is Yamaha outboard. They won't work on my boat beyond detailing it. So I either need to get a marine mechanic to come to my boat or bring my boat to a marine mechanic.

This marina has a hydraulic lift cradle. The forklift places the boat in the cradle and then the hydraulic cradle can swing 90 degrees and the boat can be lowered into the water.

They can use straps and the big forklift to lower a boat onto a trailer or pull it off. No launch ramp.

So my boat is an I/O and the marina is Yamaha outboard. They won't work on my boat beyond detailing it. So I either need to get a marine mechanic to come to my boat or bring my boat to a marine mechanic.

This marina has a hydraulic lift cradle. The forklift places the boat in the cradle and then the hydraulic cradle can swing 90 degrees and the boat can be lowered into the water.

They can use straps and the big forklift to lower a boat onto a trailer or pull it off. No launch ramp.
Rog, it is all saltwater here so I couldn't imagine having a boat without a trailer (ours is just a little 19.5 I/O 4.3 Volvo/Penta Wellcraft Eclipse, but my FIL doesn't have a trailer for his boat (has a lift on his pier), which makes flushing and winterization a PITA, his is a 24.5 SeaRay so it is a MUCH larger boat. Because he doesn't have a trailer, he has had no choice but to use marinas as mechanics and he has most definitely NOT gotten his money's worth like that...and we have our own ramp:rolleyes:just no trailer for his as my trailer is a single axle.

Rog, it is all saltwater here so I couldn't imagine having a boat without a trailer (ours is just a little 19.5 I/O 4.3 Volvo/Penta Wellcraft Eclipse, but my FIL doesn't have a trailer for his boat (has a lift on his pier), which makes flushing and winterization a PITA, his is a 24.5 SeaRay so it is a MUCH larger boat. Because he doesn't have a trailer, he has had no choice but to use marinas as mechanics and he has most definitely NOT gotten his money's worth like that...and we have our own ramp:rolleyes:just no trailer for his as my trailer is a single axle.
I bought a Diacom so I can do a lot of the work myself.

Hopefully the fork lift is not fueled by diesel fuel. Your boat will get sooty in the boat house.

Hopefully the fork lift is not fueled by diesel fuel. Your boat will get sooty in the boat house.
It is diesel. But the smoke/dirt in the rain has made it very dirty recently. It was detailed in Oct and is now very dirty. Has not been used yet.

They were testing a two cycle outboard on a trailered boat and that made more smoke & smell than the diesel forklift or the smoky air from Canada.

Travel lifts are also used for moving boats in and out of the water and around the yard. Those can do even bigger boats that a forklift.

Back