Sick and tired of the "listening"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually email associated with card. Merchant=>card=>you

Ok, but the retailer doesn't know what my email address is (unless I gave it to them). My bank should NOT be giving my email address to a retailer.

The bank doesn't know what I purchased.

How do they tie it together?

You must be doing something on both machines that links you in Google. Programmers are not magicians.
That is kind of my point. I am not an IT guy, nor do I claim to be a tech savvy guru. However, I have a brain and a decent understanding of computers. I don't know how they are tracking me, yet they are.

Ok, but the retailer doesn't know what my email address is (unless I gave it to them). My bank should NOT be giving my email address to a retailer.

Correct - The retailer does not have your email address on file in theory if you have not given it to them.
Your bank or processor yes know exactly what you purchased.
They "work" together.

The only way I know they track purchases at stores and subsequently advertise to you is through an in-store awards program or other frequent buyer system. For example, if you use your rewards card at Walgreens they sell your purchase information (presumably with identifiable data) to Facebook. Not all merchants do this but some do.

How do they tie my debit or credit card number with my IP address so as to pop up advertisements on my PC?
Your access point tied to your address and your card tied to your address. If you have wifi enabled on your cell phone then your access point tied to your GPS location tied to your address. If you have made a purchase online then Google and/or Apple will know the card number as well.

It's quite fascinating how data points can connect. You can be pinpointed and identified based on deidentified data points.

Correct - The retailer does not have your email address on file in theory if you have not given it to them.
Your bank or processor yes know exactly what you purchased.
They "work" together.

I don't believe my bank has any record of what purchased, they only record the amount and the merchant.

Banks are allowed the merchant name. They are not allowed to see consumer purchases. That would be a breach of PCI.

Your access point tied to your address and your card tied to your address. If you have wifi enabled on your cell phone then your access point tied to your GPS location tied to your address.

What does my access point have to do with this? Nobody but me knows the MAC address and private IP address of any device connecting to my router via my access point.

That is kind of my point. I am not an IT guy, nor do I claim to be a tech savvy guru. However, I have a brain and a decent understanding of computers. I don't know how they are tracking me, yet they are.

Ok let’s start with the basics.
Are you signed in to google at all on any machine? Or were you signed in at any time? Even if it’s under two different accounts, google will connect them.

I think that at one point you might’ve been signed in on your work computer.

I would clear all browsing history on both machines, make sure everything is checked. That should break the link between the two machines.

Here's an interesting one for you if you have a Walmart online account. If you use the card to make a purchase at any point using the website logged into your account it'll recognize that card with your account when buying in person in store. You can log into your account right after buying and see every item you bought in that in store transaction.

As far as bank and retailer, that's probably not how they're getting the email address. It's out there somewhere tied to your information and advertising companies find it financially beneficial to connect the dots.

But how do they categorize and summarize? Just by the merchant code?

Maybe they aren't supposed to know, but they know.

Correct, they categorize by the merchant based on what the merchant majority sells. IE: Google or Amazon Video would be "digital services" while Kohls could be retailer-clothing.

I don't believe the credit verification networks are set up to even transmit that data to the bank even if it were allowed.

I could smell the lawsuits if that ever happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back