should I undercoat my Brand new '13 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any issues that the EPA imposes on shops that only do rust proofing? Years ago the Ziebart I dealt with on Long Island packed up and left. The owner claimed the EPA was pretty tough. It makes sense especially on Long Island, but I really have no way of knowing.

The rustproofing I'm familiar with requires cutting the compound with mineral spirits so it is sprayable. The mineral spirits then flash off, which is probably why the EPA gets involved.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Yup, there is no shortage of rustproofing places in GTA as well. And as new vehicles become more expensive and peoples earnings remain stagnant, they will want to keep their cars longer and they will turn to rustproofing.

It's easy for car rags to not recommend such services because they are not interested in long term ownership or the second or third owner experience. Also a lot of folks in US live down south where salt and snow is not a concern, so it's not applicable to them.

Why does everyone look for the ulterior motive when the basic one is that car magazines/columns don't recommended it because they feel it's a waste of money. Just like most places don't recommend buying an extended warranty, but every time you check out, the cashier always asks if you want to buy the extended warranty.

As for wanting to keep cars longer and a new trend in rustproofing, that's more like the tail wagging the dog. People are keeping their cars longer because they last longer. Plus the economy hasn't been that great. If people really planned ahead, they would lose weight, stop smoking and get more exercise.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Why does everyone look for the ulterior motive when the basic one is that car magazines/columns don't recommended it because they feel it's a waste of money. Just like most places don't recommend buying an extended warranty, but every time you check out, the cashier always asks if you want to buy the extended warranty.

No, those two things aren't comparable at all. An extended warranty is usually a single large up-front cost. Rust proofing is a recurring annual fee and isn't much money, about the cost of a couple of oil changes. To benefit from the extended warranty, you are essentially banking on the product failing. Rust proofing is preventative maintenance, like changing your coolant and various fluids. And yes, some idiots run their vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles on their factory fluids too, does that mean that it is a stupid idea to change them if you want to own a vehicle long-term?
wink.gif

With respect to the magazines, how about a car rag doing their research on vehicles operated in Ontario and the states near Ontario when they want to talk about rust prevention? This is where much of the experience in this thread is coming from and I don't think that's a coincidence. I could write a column about the uselessness of bug-guts specific windshield washer fluid from my home in Arizona, but you know the guy living in the tropics hitting bugs the size of small birds might think my ramblings probably weren't all that complete in terms of research performed. That's how a lot of us feel about rust proofing. You can ramble on about how you and some magazine THINK it isn't worthwhile, but until you come up here and live it, your OPINION really means about as much as we've paid for it here.

See, the fun part about this is that those of us arguing the merits of the product actually have experience with it. And with vehicles both treated and non. We have observed the differences on a myriad of different brands and models across a wide array of model years and have drawn our conclusions with respect to the effectiveness of the products based on that. You telling us that it "isn't worth it" because you say so and because you've got a magazine article to back your opinion means squat in comparison to that experience.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Yup, there is no shortage of rustproofing places in GTA as well. And as new vehicles become more expensive and peoples earnings remain stagnant, they will want to keep their cars longer and they will turn to rustproofing.

It's easy for car rags to not recommend such services because they are not interested in long term ownership or the second or third owner experience. Also a lot of folks in US live down south where salt and snow is not a concern, so it's not applicable to them.

they last longer, that doesn't mean they aren't rusty. some people just don't like how that looks.

As for wanting to keep cars longer and a new trend in rustproofing, that's more like the tail wagging the dog. People are keeping their cars longer because they last longer. Plus the economy hasn't been that great. If people really planned ahead, they would lose weight, stop smoking and get more exercise.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Wolf359 said:
See, the fun part about this is that those of us arguing the merits of the product actually have experience with it. And with vehicles both treated and non. We have observed the differences on a myriad of different brands and models across a wide array of model years and have drawn our conclusions with respect to the effectiveness of the products based on that. You telling us that it "isn't worth it" because you say so and because you've got a magazine article to back your opinion means squat in comparison to that experience.

That really sends it home. The question the OP asked should be modified, and specific to the region he lives in or travels to. Someone living in Vegas, and travels to Southern California for vacation can easily get away w/o rust proofing. People living in the snow belt, or areas which get snow, and salt is used on the roads are another story.

So should you undercoat your car? It depends.....

Never had a problem with anything built in the 90's or newer rusting. Just hose it off underneath and by the time they get rusty enough to matter its junkyard time anyway.

G wagons seem to rot out though, I suspect because they are a 1970's design.

Last edited:
Fluid Film it. Our 4 year old Fit has one rusty patch on the underside around an open hole. The rest of it is pristine thanks to yearly rustproofing with Fluid Film.

Something is better than nothing!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Fluid Film it. Our 4 year old Fit has one rusty patch on the underside around an open hole. The rest of it is pristine thanks to yearly rustproofing with Fluid Film.

Something is better than nothing!
I don't want to hear that your 4 year old car is NOT rusted yet! I do NOT expect any car to rust before 10 year mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back