should I undercoat my Brand new '13 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
you're going to die anyway, just smoke. brilliant.

Thats an odd comparison..a car rusting at 15 years old is not exactly the same thing as smoking and dying younger. The reality is not many plan on keeping their cars over 20 years....so who cares if it starts to rust at 15 years old??? Rust wont be the thing that kills it..

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: rjundi
IMHO its like taking cold medicine.

Take the cold medicine and it lasts 7 days and skip the cold medicine your cold lasts a week.

Your money, I personally would buy lottery tickets and you'd be ahead.

I agree 100%. I wouldnt bother, my dads legacy 1998 just started to rust...its almost 16 years old..waxed once a yr with nu finish..and subie's were known to rust..

My 07 corolla is still impecable. Run it through a car wash regularly during winter and dont waste your money. I have a 120k miles on it..not a spec of rust. I see plenty of Mazda's that are rusted however. Keep it clean and dont worry about it. It will only start rusting after 14-15 years (if maintained reasonably) Think how much you will have spent rust proofing it yearly...by the time ur car starts to rust you will likely have either dumped it or be looking for something new.

You didn't mention the Accent? How's it for rust?

We have two Expeditions, the '02 in my sig and my parent's '00. My parents live on the East Coast. My truck has been sprayed since we got it. My parents only started to get their's sprayed a few years ago. Their frame is bright orange with rust. Mine is still black and covered in Krown. The running board mounts have rusted off the one side of the '00 and will need to be replaced. The ones on the '02 are immaculate. Both trucks have about the same mileage on them and are washed regularly even during the winter months.

My '89 Town Car didn't have a spot of rust on it (I recently gave it away) and had been sprayed every year since 1992.

It makes a significant difference.

HOWEVER

The value of getting it done is, as your last line indicates, relative. If you don't plan on holding on to a vehicle, then maybe it isn't worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: rjundi
IMHO its like taking cold medicine.

Take the cold medicine and it lasts 7 days and skip the cold medicine your cold lasts a week.

Your money, I personally would buy lottery tickets and you'd be ahead.

I agree 100%. I wouldnt bother, my dads legacy 1998 just started to rust...its almost 16 years old..waxed once a yr with nu finish..and subie's were known to rust..

My 07 corolla is still impecable. Run it through a car wash regularly during winter and dont waste your money. I have a 120k miles on it..not a spec of rust. I see plenty of Mazda's that are rusted however. Keep it clean and dont worry about it. It will only start rusting after 14-15 years (if maintained reasonably) Think how much you will have spent rust proofing it yearly...by the time ur car starts to rust you will likely have either dumped it or be looking for something new.

You didn't mention the Accent? How's it for rust?

We have two Expeditions, the '02 in my sig and my parent's '00. My parents live on the East Coast. My truck has been sprayed since we got it. My parents only started to get their's sprayed a few years ago. Their frame is bright orange with rust. Mine is still black and covered in Krown. The running board mounts have rusted off the one side of the '00 and will need to be replaced. The ones on the '02 are immaculate. Both trucks have about the same mileage on them and are washed regularly even during the winter months.

My '89 Town Car didn't have a spot of rust on it (I recently gave it away) and had been sprayed every year since 1992.

It makes a significant difference.

HOWEVER

The value of getting it done is, as your last line indicates, relative. If you don't plan on holding on to a vehicle, then maybe it isn't worthwhile.

I dont mention the accent because i bought it for 400$..head gasket is shot, exhaust problems..multiple misfires..power steering doesnt work, handbrake doesnt work and all 4 tires lose air.the accent was heavily abused by the previous owner. Does it have rust? Yes it has a little rust. It has 20k kms more than my corolla. But it sure as heck is not dead because of rust. Its been sitting in a driveway waiting to be sold as scrap. Its your opinion that its effective, id rather not waste my money. I will let you know what gets my car first, rust or something else..

you do realize that to do it properly it has to be done at the factory once it gets wet and has been driven ad then the undercoat gets put on over the dirt it is not good

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
you do realize that to do it properly it has to be done at the factory once it gets wet and has been driven ad then the undercoat gets put on over the dirt it is not good

you're confused probably. and you're supposed to apply rust preventing spray on a clean dry vehicle. spray is not "undercoating"

I dont mention the accent because i bought it for 400$..head gasket is shot, exhaust problems..multiple misfires..power steering doesnt work, handbrake doesnt work and all 4 tires lose air.the accent was heavily abused by the previous owner. Does it have rust? Yes it has a little rust. It has 20k kms more than my corolla. But it sure as heck is not dead because of rust. Its been sitting in a driveway waiting to be sold as scrap.

Fair enough.

Quote:
Its your opinion that its effective, id rather not waste my money. I will let you know what gets my car first, rust or something else..

No, it is my EXPERIENCE that it is effective, having seen the effects of vehicles sprayed and not sprayed since the early 90's and watching the rather dramatic difference in how the bodies hold up. Not only the bodies however, as removing things like suspension fasteners and the like, when not coated in copious amounts of rust, is a lot easier as well. There are a few benefits, but as I said, if you don't hold onto a vehicle, it may not be worth it.

I always do.. It's not expensive when you consider what can happen as the car ages.

I say do it... It's a protection of your investment, plain and simple. And cars are not good investments, so anything to help it retain value is good in my books.

As I type this, I just realized I had my SI Krown'd yesterday.

Last edited:

Your corolla is impeccable you say? Did you look underneath? I guess not.

Lots of cars don't show rust on the outside until 10-15 year mark, but they will be rusty underneath and inside door panels. Anybody that ever had to wrench on an old rusty car will know how much work and aggravation a broken, due to rust, fastener or component can add to the work.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Trav
Absolutely!
I am spraying this now on a 2 brand new vehicles. It is also available in 5 gal drum already diluted.

http://www.theruststore.com/Cortec-VpCI-368-P82C28.aspx

I use this for application. You can find them on ebay, its not cheap but it will last a lifetime and 5 gallons will do about 3 cars or pickups.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Undercoating-Application-Gun-Undercoat/dp/B003TLMDU2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Und...#ht_1924wt_1161

FYI: similar waxy, greasy, stuff was on my duramax chevy from factory, the coating came off around the edges etc and I have rust on my chevy frame rail.

You need to touch it up preferably yearly.
Many Japanese cars have rubber body plugs on the bottom of the rocker panels so no drilling is required if you use the wands.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I don't think it's really needed nowadays. However after a snow storm, I'd always get an undercarriage wash at the car wash and at least once more at the end of winter. I think the warranties are such that hardly anyone ever collects as it usually says rust through which means a hole and usually you just get surface rust instead of a rust hole.

Well you are in MA, he is in VT and I am in upstate NY. They still use a lot of salt and I still see a lot of vehicles with rust.

+1 on the salt, that and the potholes helped claimed my Aerostar. We don't get as much snow on L.I. as you guys do but untreated cars around here don't last as long as cars that were treated.

I just had my Accord (for the second time) and Impala (first time) sprayed at Carwell.

I looked under my friends 2008 Impala that has been to Carwell every year and it looks beautiful. A co-workers 2008 Impala, not so much.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I don't think it's really needed nowadays. However after a snow storm, I'd always get an undercarriage wash at the car wash and at least once more at the end of winter. I think the warranties are such that hardly anyone ever collects as it usually says rust through which means a hole and usually you just get surface rust instead of a rust hole.

Well you are in MA, he is in VT and I am in upstate NY. They still use a lot of salt and I still see a lot of vehicles with rust.

+1 on the salt, that and the potholes helped claimed my Aerostar. We don't get as much snow on L.I. as you guys do but untreated cars around here don't last as long as cars that were treated.

My car is a 2001 and has minimal rust on it. I also mentioned doing an undercarriage wash after a snow storm which is different than getting it washed weekly. Cars do get better as newer models come out so rustproofing a car 20 years ago and rustproofing a new one are two different things. We used to change the oil every 3k too....

My car is a 2001 and has minimal rust on it. I also mentioned doing an undercarriage wash after a snow storm which is different than getting it washed weekly. Cars do get better as newer models come out so rustproofing a car 20 years ago and rustproofing a new one are two different things. We used to change the oil every 3k too....

salt works the same way it did 20 years ago. automakers are not continually making cars less prone.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

salt works the same way it did 20 years ago. automakers are not continually making cars less prone.

Exactly. Plus it's not like sheet metal quality is improving with more and more recycled steel going into each brand new car.
It's rather funny seeing folks that either live in a fairly warm climate with few snowstorms or people that just don't bother looking at cars underside tell the rest of us how we are all wrong even though most people in this thread have first hand experience what rust can do to a car and therefore choose to do something about it.

If you do t like it, don't do it, but don't spread misinformation that today's cars don't need it or that rustproofing doesn't work.

Oiling does work and the way to go if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term or just to hold it's value better because the body is in above average condition .

Worst thing done is putting a car in the garage every night when snow and ice on it keeping the car warm , that's when the salt really goes to work rusting it ! If the car stays out in below freezing temps the salt stays somewhat neutral .

Salt air though!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Salt air though!

Both, more road salt so for me though. I'm about 8 miles from the ocean. Treating the insides of the doors, etc. is important though because on occasion you can actually smell the ocean. Either way a rust proofed car IMO lasts longer, assuming you keep the car long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back