Should I replace my cap, plug wires, and coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Cherokee with the 4.0 and nearly 200,000 miles. I was just cleaning the engine and noticed the plug wires look original.
smile.gif
Engine runs great, better than my old one that had only 98,000 miles on it. Will it be a noticeable difference in performance/gas mileage if I replace the dist. cap, plug wires, plugs, and maybe the coil? If I replace them it will be with cheap parts...nothing high performance. I plan on selling this thing in a few months, but would like to get the best gas mileage I can until then...

i think its time for a replacment. u may notice a smoother idle, and alot better running at the same time.

wont hurt right?

If your gonna sell it in a few months and its running fine then leave it alone.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 6800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82600 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

... and if a prospective buyer notices a slight skip or whatever, he'll think it'll just need an easy minor tuneup!
smile.gif

You can change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor on that engine in way less than an hour, and for not a lot of money, so I'd go for it.
But if your gonna sell it...
Why not hang on to it, anyway?

If those plugs feel too tight, leave them and just replace the wires and cap. It would be an expensive tune up if a plug breaks off in the head. Get wires with boots that are molded onto the wires, not universal wires or the motor may start running rough.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
You can change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor on that engine in way less than an hour, and for not a lot of money, so I'd go for it.
But if your gonna sell it...
Why not hang on to it, anyway?

Well, it's in good shape but it does have nearly 200k on it. I went out and bought it right after the insurance company told me how much they were giving me for my last jeep. Then I complained enough to the insurance co. that they weren't giving me "fair market value" and they gave me an extra $1000. I would have bought a better jeep if I would have had that to begin with, and now I know I can sell this one for quite a bit more than I bought it for...

Anyway, I think I'm going to take of the distributor cap today and see how it looks under there.

Here's a cheap alternative: Pull the cap and rotor, and sandpaper or file the contacts. Pull the plugs and check with an ohmmeter, clean, regap and reinstall (if all are within 1-2K ohms of each other). You can check the wires by pulling the ends and probing with an ohmmeter. They should have about 5K ohms per foot. If they are withing specs, give them a good cleaning and re-install.

This will cost nothing except a little time and a couple of your favorite beverages, yet will keep it going until you sell it. BTW, the 4.0 Cherokee ignition is so easy to access, it's almost fun. I love working on mine.......(in the summer when the weather's warmer).
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back