Should I remove the lift kit?

Personally, I'd leave the body lift alone and drive it until the tires are worn out and replace with stock or near stock width tires.

The 305/70r16 tires are only about 4% larger in diameter than the 235/85r16 tires that came on this truck so they are not much taller than stock. The main difference is they are about 30% or 3" wider than stock. My guess is that the original owner bought those wide tires and found that they rubbed when turning so added the wheel spacers.

A set of 265/75r16 tires would be slightly wider than stock and almost exactly the same height and would probably fit fine without the wheel spacers.

Last edited:
My guess is that the original owner bought those wide tires and found that they rubbed when turning so added the wheel spacers.
I would think this is the case as well. Ultimately, lifting a vehicle sends you down a rabbit hole. The spacers are a quick and dirty way out of the problem, and then we get the varying opinions on whether it's a viable solution or not.

Personally, I'd leave the body lift alone and drive it until the tires are worn out and replace with stock or near stock width tires.

The 305/70r16 tires are only about 4% larger in diameter than the 235/85r16 tires that came on this truck so they are not much taller than stock. The main difference is they are about 30% or 3" wider than stock. My guess is that the original owner bought those wide tires and found that they rubbed when turning so added the wheel spacers.

A set of 265/75r16 tires would be slightly wider than stock and almost exactly the same height and would probably fit fine without the wheel spacers.
this is what I would do, exept i might go 285/75/16, they're about an inch taller than the 265/75/16.

Original owner is my boss. He had some suspension shop in town do it. The tires still rub. Sounds awful.

Original owner is my boss. He had some suspension shop in town do it. The tires still rub. Sounds awful.
It can't be rubbing that much? I ran 285/75/16s on my '95 F250 4x4 with stock steelies and didn't get any rubbing.

So, step down in tire size, buy new wheels with less backspacing, or adjust the steering stops.

In the interest of accuracy: I looked at my D50 TTB yesterday and the steering stops are not adjustable. However it looks like it would be a simple affair to tack in some small spacers to restrict turning radius.

The bent steel arms seem to afford more possibilities (and surface area) for this than a cast inner C

Back