Should I remove the lift kit?

So I have this 1996 F250 5.8 with 62,033 miles on it. I purchased the truck with 17,000 miles on it back in 2017. The previous owner put a 3 inch body lift on it with wheel spacers and 305 70 r16 tires on it.
My question is, would it be beneficial to restore the truck back to stock specifications? Is this lift and tire size strenuous on the transmission and engine and if left on, will it shorten the life of the vehicle?

I mostly use the truck for pulling my boat to lakes and as a spare vehicle when my commuter is in the shop.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Attachments

• 20221109_151106.jpg
    20221109_151106.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 148
Lift kits can be hard on drive line and steering components. It is a fact that trucks with them have significantly more wear on U and CV joints within the drive line. They also can cause steering geometry to be compromised putting more wear on tie rod ends and ball joints. This last wear item is usually not due to the lift kit itself as the cause but usually from the larger tires and wheels that are put on after the lift kit install.

Lift kits can be hard on drive line and steering components. It is a fact that trucks with them have significantly more wear on U and CV joints within the drive line. They also can cause steering geometry to be compromised putting more wear on tie rod ends and ball joints. This last wear item is usually not due to the lift kit itself as the cause but usually from the larger tires and wheels that are put on after the lift kit install.
This is a body lift not a suspension lift.

That's more to do with the Chinese studs that come with the cheap spacer kits.
You're still changing geometry, and the bearings pay the price.

I agree some are better than others like Spidertrax, but I'd steer clear. Do the lift modestly and adjust your offset modestly by changing wheels if this is a daily driver. Even then, you're still making compromises. I just wouldn't mess with wheel spacers.

If the truck is 80 inches wide, going a half inch out on each side isn't going to add minimal stress to the bearings. Again, if you use Chinese wheel bearings, expect 2-3 years before they wear our, with or without spacers.

Sometimes spacers are needed if you change wheels. Needed these spacers on an E-class Mercedes,

116Front wheel spacers.JPG

to be able to use these C class wheels, otherwise they hit the caliper.

034.jpg

If the truck is 80 inches wide, going a half inch out on each side isn't going to add minimal stress to the bearings. Again, if you use Chinese wheel bearings, expect 2-3 years before they wear our, with or without spacers.

Sometimes spacers are needed if you change wheels. Needed these spacers on an E-class Mercedes,

View attachment 154435

to be able to use these C class wheels, otherwise they hit the caliper.

View attachment 154436
Fair enough, and I'll admit I'm speaking only from a lifted truck point of view. In those cases, it just becomes a cheap shortcut that will do more harm than good from a performance standpoint. And by performance, I'm talking about off road capabilities. I'll concede that the issues may not be the same for cars.

So I have this 1996 F250 5.8 with 62,033 miles on it. I purchased the truck with 17,000 miles on it back in 2017. The previous owner put a 3 inch body lift on it with wheel spacers and 305 70 r16 tires on it.
My question is, would it be beneficial to restore the truck back to stock specifications? Is this lift and tire size strenuous on the transmission and engine and if left on, will it shorten the life of the vehicle?

I mostly use the truck for pulling my boat to lakes and as a spare vehicle when my commuter is in the shop.

Thanks for any and all replies.
Slightly Shorter wheels/tires without spacer and keep the body lift.

Back