Shocks and Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I don't know.
I guess it would vary from car to car.
I did not like the ones I put on the Buick which I why I went the way I did this time.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I used quick struts on my 98 Buick. Worst choice for that car, the springs sucked. The strut itself was ok.

That was my experience as well.

The stuff is pushed pretty hard by mechanics and part stores.

I suspect the problem with quick struts, besides the ones with poor quality parts, is that each model is spec'd to go on several different vehicles, each with different weights, so the spring rate and pre-load is a compromise.

My 2004 Sienna developing a strut leak (heard as a knocking sound over mild bumps)after 8yrs / 120K miles. I thought that was premature.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
I suspect the problem with quick struts, besides the ones with poor quality parts, is that each model is spec'd to go on several different vehicles, each with different weights, so the spring rate and pre-load is a compromise.

Thanks for the insight

Really nice. In the W-body community the KYB have nothing but good comments. When I had my Regal it was what I should have used.

Yes KYB are popular for the W-bodies, but are known to be a stiffer ride too.

I went with Gabriel ReadyMount quick struts for the rear of my W-body, and they ride pretty dang good for a soft ride. Been on for 5k miles now, and they are still working just fine. Bought the rear set from Ebay for $66.00 shipped. They were CarQuest branded Gabriel.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Really nice. In the W-body community the KYB have nothing but good comments. When I had my Regal it was what I should have used.

Yes KYB are popular for the W-bodies, but are known to be a stiffer ride too.

I went with Gabriel ReadyMount quick struts for the rear of my W-body, and they ride pretty dang good for a soft ride. Been on for 5k miles now, and they are still working just fine. Bought the rear set from Ebay for $66.00 shipped. They were CarQuest branded Gabriel.

This is true, but it is a good firm, really plants the car.

Did a set of these recently on a 2008 Camry XLE V6. The one I worked on had about 60k on it, and I replaced all 4 with KYB. Looking back, I should have gone with the Genuine Toyota shocks for an extra $200 (total) for the better ride quality.

The ones I removed had been leaking a moderate amount of oil, but they were still functional; in fact they probably could've worked fine for a few more years.

I know that everyone is quick to replace strut mounts, but I'm finding that if the strut bearing is the type that is sealed, the bearings rarely go bad and you are better off leaving the originals alone....than installing some white-box KYB or Monroe mounts.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
That's because the originals are oil filled not gas charged. There should be in AND out resistance on the OE's if they're still good. They look dry so that's a good sign; wet, not so much.

Most modern OEM struts are gas charged. However, when they are due for replacement, that gas is gone.

I just did my 2nd set of these tonight. The fronts are easy, but the backs....well....aren't that fun.

I usually go thru the top of the seat backs to access the nuts. Both of the ones that I did were XLE's with rear seatbacks that did not fold down. How did you do it?

edit - the first time I did it, I removed the side bolsters, but it's a pain to line-up the bolsters and put back that bolt. So the second time, I went thru the top.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I just did my 2nd set of these tonight. The fronts are easy, but the backs....well....aren't that fun.

I usually go thru the top of the seat backs to access the nuts. Both of the ones that I did were XLE's with rear seatbacks that did not fold down. How did you do it?

edit - the first time I did it, I removed the side bolsters, but it's a pain to line-up the bolsters and put back that bolt. So the second time, I went thru the top.

I just did a set on my 02 camry. Put in Sensens, the Asian Sensations.
crackmeup2.gif

I saw on youtube to pull the bottom seat cushion to get at the side bolster bolt, but I was able to get a 12mm socket on a foot long extension in by simply leaning on the foam correctly.

The toyota mounts have a convenient little paint mark to line up with the "ears" on the bottom that bolt to the knuckle. They beat Dodge Neons with that little bonus.

The biggest deal was the stupid sway bar end links, with rusted threads and an unwillingness to come loose. Doing the actual spring compression was easy as pie. If I felt like chopping off end links at $20 a corner it would have saved me more time than quick-struts.

I had the shop change my springs shocks and struts at 120k on my ford focus but they were dead and toast by 80k, you could feel the nose dive when you got on the brakes.

But by 120k I think I needed to change all the busted up bushings in the subrame/A-arms in genera and basically to do that I needed to replace the A-arms, ugh.

I don't recommend quickstruts.

I've seen too many ride height issues with quick struts.

I usually stick with OE springs and name brand(monroe/gabriel/kyb/...) shocks/struts and never had an issue.

I also reuse mounts as some aftermarket parts seem cheap.

With quick struts, you still have to retorque everything. And, when possible, I will even clean/re-grease the strut mount bearings to my liking with my choice of grease. The non-OE spring ride height might actually level with time.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

crackmeup2.gif

Please provide more details. I am thinking of throwing them on 99 Camry. Would they last for few years at least?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: eljefino

crackmeup2.gif

Please provide more details. I am thinking of throwing them on 99 Camry. Would they last for few years at least?

They seem well made. I've stuck Sensens in the rears of dodge neons before and they worked out.

"They" say it's a stiff, KYB like ride. I guess I agree. Not jarring though. Time will tell how durable. I'm willing to be they're actually quite durable and we'll look back on 2015 fondly as the era when you could get a full set for $125.

The OE struts made it 198k without leaking oil, a near-record for Camrys, I think. Have seen a few go bad at half that.

where did you pick up the Sensens? Since I will be handing them to the mechanic, I presume I need to purchase four end links too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back