Shear stability of hps royal purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What car/engine are you referring to? Did I miss that somewhere?

If it is an Audi, you would be best running an oil that meets the specific specification required for your engine, irrespective of the viscosity grade. What does your engine specify?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I was planning on running hps 5w-30 as it says my car is fine to run 5w-30/40 or 0w-30/40. Which choice would be better hps 5w-30 or Api 0/5w-40?

There are positives and negatives to shear stability. The positive is if the oil does not shear it stays in grade. The negative is that a VI improver with great shear does not thicken very well, so you get more rubber in the oil and more ring deposits. For VI improvers that thicken very well with little rubber—shear. Several years ago Castrol sued Pennzoil over maximum protection against viscosity breakdown. In that case the court found that high temperature, high shear viscosity (HTHS) was more important than shear stability.

It's the 2.7tt v6. Says requires oil that meets vw spec 502.

Well, if you want to use an approved oil, your list gets much shorter
smile.gif

I'm not worried about approved oil. I'm not under any warranty so no worry there and honestly I feel the approvals are just based off who paid Audi enough money.

Originally Posted By: DWC28
Several years ago Castrol sued Pennzoil over maximum protection against viscosity breakdown. In that case the court found that high temperature, high shear viscosity (HTHS) was more important than shear stability.

Comically enough, that lawsuit centred around the claim "outperforms any leading motor oil against viscosity breakdown".

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19921223799FSupp424_11161.xml/CASTROL%20INC.%20v.%20PENNZOIL%20CO.

Castrol states:

Originally Posted By: Castrol

8. In a series of five television commercials, and in other media, Pennzoil makes the following representation about its products: `Pennzoil outperforms any leading motor oil against viscosity breakdown.' This claim of product superiority is false on its face. When compared to Castrol motor oils, Pennzoil's motor oils do not provide superior protection against viscosity breakdown. Castrol motor oils equal or exceed Pennzoil's products according to every industry standard of viscosity breakdown. In fact, in industry approved laboratory tests, two of Pennzoil's three leading brands of motor oil failed even to pass the most demanding test of viscosity breakdown protection.

9. In addition, Pennzoil's television commercials convey the false and misleading message that, because of Pennzoil's purported viscosity breakdown advantage, Pennzoil motor oils prevent `engine failure' better than other motor oils and afford customers `longer engine life' and `better engine protection' than other motor oils. These claims are baseless. There is no proof that consumers run any risk of suffering engine failure or shorter engine life if they use a motor oil other than Pennzoil.

10. Pennzoil's television commercials are false, misleading and deceptive, in violation of federal and New Jersey law. Castrol seeks an injunction prohibiting defendants from broadcasting the Pennzoil television commercials at issue or from making similar claims in any medium.

Pennzoil's response:

Quote:
In support of its contentions, Pennzoil relies on an industry recognized test referred to as ASTM D-3945.1 This test measures viscosity breakdown and its results are reported in terms of percent viscosity loss. Because Pennzoil motor oils report a lesser percent of viscosity loss than other major motor oils, it reasons that its media statements are true and do not violate the Lanham Act.

With regard to Pennzoil's engine wear and engine protection claims of superiority, Pennzoil asserts that less permanent viscosity breakdown and its exclusive use of the "star" polymer provide greater protection against engine wear.

And now, Castrol claims for their own products "Maximum protection against viscosity and thermal breakdown"

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/products/car/motor-oils/gtx-product-page.html

wink.gif

I'm not worried about approved oil. I'm not under any warranty so no worry there and honestly I feel the approvals are just based off who paid Audi enough money.

The approvals are very inexpensive. They are required for warranty compliance (not an issue here) and are a measure of various aspects of the product's performance as per VAG. While having "Mobil 1" as "Factory fill" or as a presence on the oil fill cap is a monetary transaction derived appearance, the approval system is not. Many of the OEM testing and approval protocols are extremely demanding and go far above and beyond the basic API and ACEA protocols.

Wow, sure, I guess if you feel that you know more about selecting an oil for your car than the manufacturer does. Go for it.

And while that may be somewhat true for certain specs such as dexos, it isn't true for VW specs - at least not in my opinion. But it's your car.

to me though, just because an oil isn't in the list doesn't make it a bad oil or even worse than the approved oils. Some oils that aren't on the approved list can be better than approved oils. If I was in warranty the approved list would be no question to me but I'm not and honestly I just want a [censored] good oil that I don't have to worry about. Currently I'm running Mobil 1 but I want to try other things and for me locally I can actually get RP for equal or even less than Mobil.

Never once did I claim to know more about oil than the manufacturer of anything. But just because an oil isn't on the approved list automatically means it's not good or not as good or even better than approved oils? No I don't believe it.

to me though, just because an oil isn't in the list doesn't make it a bad oil or even worse than the approved oils. Some oils that aren't on the approved list can be better than approved oils. If I was in warranty the approved list would be no question to me but I'm not and honestly I just want a [censored] good oil that I don't have to worry about. Currently I'm running Mobil 1 but I want to try other things and for me locally I can actually get RP for equal or even less than Mobil.

The approved list is meaningless. The required specification is what matters.

Never once did I claim to know more about oil than the manufacturer of anything. But just because an oil isn't on the approved list automatically means it's not good or not as good or even better than approved oils? No I don't believe it.

That's exactly what you are saying. And once again, it's not about the list it's about the specification.

You need an oil that meets VW 502 minimum. No RP oil claims to meet this spec. Their 5w/0w-40 claims to meet ACEA A3/B3-4. If an oil doesn't at least claim to meet a spec, it probably doesn't. Even if a company pays, it still must meet the spec . Your Engine requires an oil with a HTHS of 3.5 or greater. No API certified licensed oil (w/starburst logo) has a HTHS that high...period.

You would be best served with M1 0w-40. It's relatively cheap and readily available.

Well, to be blunt, you are running one of, if not THE best OTS oil around. There are very few oils on the market that have passed the same massive suite of manufacturer tests. The two that come to mind are PU Euro 5w-40 and Castrol 0w-40.

And sure, an oil that isn't on the approval list "can be" better than an approved oil. I "can be" a better driver than many professional race drivers right? It's a possibility. I mean, I haven't passed any of their tests or actually competed but I "can be"
wink.gif

Lack of testing/approval isn't a free license to use a manufacturer's advertising as a proxy to claim performance above and beyond that necessary for compliance.

If I need a certain oil like that then why is it people are running rotella with no issue? And why is it everyone in the world will compliment them and congratulate them for using it? But when it comes to RP or amsoil everyone's like your stupid don't use it.

There is not one RP HPS product that is suitable for your engine. You are currently using a great oil. Relax and sleep well. Forget the advertising hype.

It's not that I want to use it because of their marketing. I want to use it to try it. I wanted to know if it would work well and work for my car

At least Rotella has industry spec approvals/certs.

RP HPS -

It's your engine. Run it. Might be the best thing for it.

If I need a certain oil like that then why is it people are running rotella with no issue? And why is it everyone in the world will compliment them and congratulate them for using it? But when it comes to RP or amsoil everyone's like your stupid don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back