Semi Metalic vs Ceramic Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

I need to change the front disc pads on my 1971 Buick Skylark V8. Have used semi metalic in the past but a friend of mine suggested I try Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic pads. I have heard that ceramics do not stop as well and warp rotors. Is that true? I NEED brakes that will stop my street rod.

Last edited:
Most major brand pads will stop better than original. I like hawk pads. wagner severe duty have done well on my ciera, i'm hard on brakes and they hold up.

I can't speak to that specific vehicle or that brand of brakes, but I will say this, My vehicle requires semi-metallic pads according to the owner's manual. I upgraded to ceramic pads when changing rotor and pads a couple years ago and have seen less brake dust and as far as I can tell equal or better brake performance and I don't have anti-lock brakes. And I've also read mixed information, but I believe ceramics are supposed to last longer but don't quote me on that.

I have bought ceramic pads that put out a ton of dust.

I have bought other pads that make zero dust.

My wife's Matrix has been chewing up front rotors with Advance Auto Gold Ceramic pads, so I may put semi metallic on there next time.

For your street rod the size of the brake rotor, and the amount of pistons in the caliper are going to make a bigger difference than pad type.

Its kinda personal taste. I like semi metallic for the higher initial bite. Nao and ceramic have too smooth of a progression, and feels like you have to press the pedal harder than natural for a desired result.
You'd probably be best off with a performance brand like ebc or hawk.

Rotors don't warp? Tell that to GM during the late 90's when they had a load of bad rotors in the system that were warping. They even put out a TSB about it.

Every time we talk pads and rotors someone says rotors dont warp. Whoever says that has never turned a rotor on a lathe. Yes theres thickness variation as well as warping. Id guess 90% of the ones i get at work are warped.

Running Wagner TQ pads on my truck. Great feel, great performance. It's not raced, just a regular DD.... Well under 5k so far, so no idea on longevity.

Wagner TQ can also some in ceramic and semi-metallic varieties. Depending on the car.

I really like the initial bite of the semi-metallic as well.

I'm running the Brake Motive eBay ceramics (although I have "big brakes")and they work way better than the NAPA economy semi metallics did. The dusting seems to be very light on silver painted wheels. I believe they are made by StopTech.

As I understand it, the term "ceramic" means little because the amount of ceramic in ceramic pads can very greatly. The quality of the pad friction material is far more important than than the designation of semi-metallic vs ceramic.

Originally Posted By: 007

I NEED brakes that will stop my street rod.

You said it right there.

Get a performance set of EBC or Hawk or other equivalent set of TOP quality pads.

IF money is not an issue, do the same for a new set of TOP quality Rotors. Don't forget to grease the slide pins with Sil-Glide, and consider quality Calipers.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I'm running the Brake Motive eBay ceramics (although I have "big brakes")and they work way better than the NAPA economy semi metallics did. The dusting seems to be very light on silver painted wheels. I believe they are made by StopTech.

Stoptech is a unique proprietary blend that really delivers. Even okay for track days if your car isn't "under-braked" to begin with. Absolutely my favorite with the great bite of a good semi-metallic and the smoothness of a so-called "ceramic".

The brake pad folks are really using the ceramic as a new buzzword. There might be a fleck of ceramic in there and they'll sell it as ceramic because folks are willing to pay a premium.

Soon there will be "nano-ceramic"!

I had Hawk LTS on my truck with brembo on style rotors. Didn't last long at all.

Bought a Powerstop brake kit from rock auto and I love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back