SEARS WARRANTY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it easy man. Sears and some other big stores often forget about their customers. They figure they got lots of them. I never go to Sears auto. I don't trust them.

I see you you've been a member for less than two months and have over 300 posts. Enjoy the fall leaves. Life is too short.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
+1 Cuss at me and you are out the door. PLEASE take your business elsewhere as most places don't need customers like that. Keep on raising cane and you elevate to a disorderly conduct charge when the cops arrive. Then, you get trespassed. The warranty issue is a CIVIL matter. Take it up with corporate and go from there.

This.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
+1 Cuss at me and you are out the door. PLEASE take your business elsewhere as most places don't need customers like that. Keep on raising cane and you elevate to a disorderly conduct charge when the cops arrive. Then, you get trespassed. The warranty issue is a CIVIL matter. Take it up with corporate and go from there.

+2

I have no problems with cursing out a service employee in certain situations. There's plenty of times you can tell that an employee really can't do anything about it, but there are also some times when an employee treats you especially poorly or like you're a mark. A good brow beating usually turns things around.

If you as an employee go through all the stuff bdcardinal described for simply being cursed at, its an overreaction as is common in today's litigious society. My business isn't needed? That's nice, I didn't plan on throwing more money your way but I still have 4 tires I payed extra in the first place to be warranted in this situation. You're not turning me away and saying oh well you're up s***'s creek.

Now getting in someones face is another thing.

And by the way when I say "there are times", I say this having honestly never gotten to the point of a full curseout, but I've seen and heard other people being treated in a way that I would blow my top. Before you pounce on this guy for being a violent neanderthal, keep in mind that you weren't there, you don't know what was said, you don't know the situation.

Last edited:
Aside from the cursing debate, Sears has progressively gotten more and more on my nerves the more times I go. They told me they couldn't put a new valve stem on one of my dad's Michelin Weatherwise's and that it was "unsafe"; I'd need a new tire. I made it abundantly clear I wasn't a rube off the street that didn't know better, but I guess renegging from claiming a tire as unfit for the road is a line they can't jump back from. I had to get it done at the Walmart down the road, who did it happily. What the f did I get the "road hazard" for?

Recently, after waiting a while for my tires to be installed on a Mazda 3, the guy comes in the wait room and tells me one of the 2 (back) tires I wanted to keep (to mount as spares later) had a gash. I went out, saw it and said yup, I don't want it now. He says OK well I just gotta bring you back up front to charge you for the disposal fee for that tire. He reneged after I expressed the business stupidity of inconveniencing me to process a bill for $2 after having just spent $700 on tires.

Also while there for the Mazda tires I met a woman with her elderly mother who was waiting at the Sears/nearby mall for 9 hours total because the idiots ordered the wrong brakes for her Cavalier (such an odd car no?) and the "brake guy" kept getting committed to other work. THAT would have got me cursing. But then I've learned to not even try to get anything mechanical done there years ago.

The ONLY thing that keeps me back is the selection of tires they have. I wish they opened a Discount Tire this neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Aside from the cursing debate, Sears has progressively gotten more and more on my nerves the more times I go. They told me they couldn't put a new valve stem on one of my dad's Michelin Weatherwise's and that it was "unsafe"; I'd need a new tire. I made it abundantly clear I wasn't a rube off the street that didn't know better, but I guess renegging from claiming a tire as unfit for the road is a line they can't jump back from. I had to get it done at the Walmart down the road, who did it happily. What the f did I get the "road hazard" for?

Recently, after waiting a while for my tires to be installed on a Mazda 3, the guy comes in the wait room and tells me one of the 2 (back) tires I wanted to keep (to mount as spares later) had a gash. I went out, saw it and said yup, I don't want it now. He says OK well I just gotta bring you back up front to charge you for the disposal fee for that tire. He reneged after I expressed the business stupidity of inconveniencing me to process a bill for $2 after having just spent $700 on tires.

Also while there for the Mazda tires I met a woman with her elderly mother who was waiting at the Sears/nearby mall for 9 hours total because the idiots ordered the wrong brakes for her Cavalier (such an odd car no?) and the "brake guy" kept getting committed to other work. THAT would have got me cursing. But then I've learned to not even try to get anything mechanical done there years ago.

The ONLY thing that keeps me back is the selection of tires they have. I wish they opened a Discount Tire this neck of the woods.

You think there is any possible chance the auto parts store they called for tbe brakes sent the wrong ones?

49k miles on the tires and they were like brand new?

Are they hockey puck hard or what?

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
I finally went to a shop with a Hunter road force balancer, paid $60 out of pocket for them to balance the tires, and they found one bad tire, with a lot of force variance.
And no cussing either.

how do I find a force balancer? my new tires shake like crazy! it might be a bent rim, but I cant tell.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
49k miles on the tires and they were like brand new?

Are they hockey puck hard or what?

10 ply, 2 ply rated load E tires. I check air and fill as needed almost daily with a compressor.

Rotate regularly too.

I also keep them filled to 60 pounds due to weight of tools and occasional trailer.

Last edited:
If you as an employee go through all the stuff bdcardinal described for simply being cursed at, its an overreaction as is common in today's litigious society. My business isn't needed? That's nice, I didn't plan on throwing more money your way but I still have 4 tires I payed extra in the first place to be warranted in this situation. You're not turning me away and saying oh well you're up s***'s creek.

for me to actually go that far, it had to be in my face spitting on me, which happened. usually customers that did that were on something or drunk. i have a thick skin and it usually really annoyed customers that the more upset they got, the calmer i got. you have to realise that most people in those jobs are getting paid barely above minimum wage, so not enough to care.

Fair enough; like I said, being in one's face is a totally different story. To me it didn't sound like that was what the OP did.

Short of that though, if I were called a cheat and a liar as the OP claimed happened, I would let a few expletives fly too.

Last edited:
I'm glad you got your way no disrespect to anybody here but I'm finding more and more these days instead of businesses working to earn the consumers business they dont seem to care. I try being nice first and it works sometimes but sometimes it dont. When that happens I have no trouble blowing up on them just because of the simple fact they shouldn't be screwing the consumer they dont't seem to remember who the boss is and it is us the consumer the pitifull part is that we have to do this to get our way

When I sold cars a few times I had death threats. Got to love the used car business. I found most of them entertaining even laughed at a few people. Most of the people who threatened me had the education of about a 6th grader, and a swift kick in their arse would have been all that was needed to calm them down. Problem was the legal issues.

Management loved the unique way I handled these people, I never raised my voice, ever. That annoys people even more! I didn't make the cars I only sold them. Most of the people who were making threats were doing so because they had lousy credit and couldn't get an approval. I politely told them they created their situation, and should pay people on time, then and only then should they apply for more credit. But when those sub-prime deals rolled boy did the money flow in. But as in life all things come to an end. Management was screwing me out of money, and at that point I was out the door so fast their heads were spinning.

The people who had a legit complaint and who treated me with the same respect I treated them with got the most. The others could pound sand it wouldn't have mattered to me. I would help the younger guys handle compaints, I found it entertaining in a twisted way.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
I feel that way about Home Depot.I refuse to spend money with them.Have a friend that was with HD home office in accounting.She quit them after 3 years.Tells horror stories of how they handle vendors and their behind the scenes business practices. Guy who retired and built the big aquarium in Atlanta is/was a crook and his predecessor no better.Treat thie behind the scenes employees pretty darn rough also.

At least now Home Depot has a new CEO and things on the customer side are looking different.

Originally Posted By: jmac
Originally Posted By: hounddog
I feel that way about Home Depot.I refuse to spend money with them.Have a friend that was with HD home office in accounting.She quit them after 3 years.Tells horror stories of how they handle vendors and their behind the scenes business practices. Guy who retired and built the big aquarium in Atlanta is/was a crook and his predecessor no better.Treat thie behind the scenes employees pretty darn rough also.

At least now Home Depot has a new CEO and things on the customer side are looking different.

Sounds good....

It's been my experience that you can find something wrong with any and every company/retailer out there. If you went through life looking for reasons not to shop somewhere, you would:

1) Have a pretty miserable and negative outlook on life;
2) Have a VERY short list of retailers that you DO shop at; and,
3) Spend a lot of time trying to avoid something that is subject to change at a moment's notice (like management).

It doesn't seem that productive to me. Kind of like not buying a certain brand of oil because you don't like their new commercial, or because you got stiffed by a rebate that could have very well been lost in the mail.

Do you really think the issues described here are "finding something wrong with any and every company/retailer out there"? If you just take all the cr_ap doled out to you, nothing's going to change is it?

Do you really think the issues described here are "finding something wrong with any and every company/retailer out there"? If you just take all the cr_ap doled out to you, nothing's going to change is it?

It's just a different approach to life, that's all.

A interesting sidelight to this story is the next closest Sears is 35 miles away.

Here is the Sears extended warranty

Road Hazard Plus Protection Agreement

The Road Hazard Plus Protection Agreement entitles you to expanded warranty coverage against non-repairable tire damage beyond normal wear and tear, including road hazards experienced under normal driving conditions. It includes mounting, inflating and balancing of the repaired tire, or a replacement tire, with a new valve stem as described in the Agreement. It also includes a 25% discount off the regular price of an alignment when your tire is repaired or replaced under the Agreement. This agreement is for 4 years from date of purchase. Protect your tire investment with Road Hazard Plus Protection Agreement. For complete and detailed information about the Agreement, contact your local Sears Auto Center.

It seems the tires are about $150-160 new. If they believed there was not a mfg defect then $50-100 per tire seems fair to me. If it was a defect then Sears would be off the hook and BFG would be.

BFG warranty

HOW REPLACEMENT CHARGES ARE CALCULATED
Workmanship/Materials
A tire which becomes unserviceable due to a condition covered by this workmanship and materials limited warranty will be replaced with a comparable new BFGoodrich® brand tire, free of charge, when 2/32nds of an inch (1.6mm) or less of the original tread is worn, (or 25% or less, whichever is more beneficial to you) and within 12 months of the date of purchase. The cost of mounting and balancing the tires is included. You pay the cost of any other service charges and applicable taxes.
When more than 2/32nds of an inch of original tread has been
worn (or more than 25%, whichever is more beneficial to you) or
after 12 months from the date of purchase, you must pay the costof a comparable new BFGoodrich® brand passenger or light truck replacement tire on a pro rata basis. The retailer will determine the charge by multiplying the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current selling price at the adjustment location or the price on the current BFGoodrich® brand Base Price List,whichever is lower. This list is based on a predetermined price intended

You pay the cost of mounting, balancing, and any other service charges and applicable taxes.
Mileage Tires
A tire meeting the conditions for treadwear pro rata
replacement will be replaced with a comparable new
BFGoodrich® brand tire based on the actual mileage received.
The participating BFGoodrich® brand tire retailer will determine the charge by multiplying the percent of mileage received by the current actual selling price at the adjustment location or the price for the new tire in the current BFGoodrich® brand Base Price List, whichever is lower. This list is based on a predetermined price intended to fairly represent the actual selling price of the tire. You pay the cost of mounting, balancing, and any other service charges and applicable taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back