Seal sweller for hardened static O ring ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions, I really don't want to pull this assembly down as the O ring that's leaking is behind a critical (fixed) pre-load adjuster and it's a right royal pain in the posterior to get to.

Don't know about your specific application. In my case there is a large "O" ring on the primary cover of a Saab. It will become hard and leak with age.

No oil supplement would help it.

When I removed it, I dropped it and it shattered like glass. Some "O" rings cannot be brought back to life. Could be a Saab story.

Good point, and probably where I am with this seal.

FWIW it's the seal behind the worm adjuster on a Land Rover Defender steering box.
Input and output shaft seals are fine......ATM.

I have a complete seal kit for it but it's such a PITA job it'd be easier to install a new 'box as I don't work on cars for fun.

Can you clean and externally apply silicone RTV to the surface around the offending leak? Just dam it in?
If you clean it and let it cure, it can work very well.
If it is an internal part in an engine, don't do it. External, yes.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Can you clean and externally apply silicone RTV to the surface around the offending leak? Just dam it in?
If you clean it and let it cure, it can work very well.
If it is an internal part in an engine, don't do it. External, yes.

Done that before on a welch plug that was leaking on a vacuum pump (used 2 part epoxy) and it worked very well, but it isn't so easy to get to this one unless I pull the 'box.

@ 300,000km I'm tempted to slot in a new steering box and be done with it.
Even though it's run a premium syn ATF that meets the GL4 spec for most of its life the sector shaft is known for losing the hardfacing, the worm pitting, etc with miles and it's a bit of a mongrel job just to get it out.

Crazy thing started to gush last week, two days before a trip adn the level plunged. so topped off.
Left on my trip, stopped at the car parts store 100km away, bought a bottle of steering stop leak and couldn't add it at the time as the reservoir was still full.

After 1600km the bloody thing hasn't leaked, only a weep
21.gif

BTW I had to google ATP-205.
I don't think we get that here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back