scandalized that cruise control is not standard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
not standard equipment on all cars. In this day and age when drive by wire rules, cruise control is just a computer programming routine, right? It probably doesn't more than a few bucks to add cruise control for manufacturers. I definitely understand the business-profit case for cruise control as an option on a higher than base model trim but I figured with manufacturer competition cruise control would eventually become standard, but it hasn't, it's almost like a unofficial conspiracy among manufacturers to keep cruise control as an option. I don't mind to be honest, but I did notice.

I for one, never use it, so I don't care.

I only realized a few weeks back our Toyota Matrix do'sent have it.

I see it as a possibly dangerous feature.

I drove a Sunfire 243,000 miles for 10 years without cruise control. I never really thought about it and still think that one reason why I was able to stay awake driving to work at 4am was because I didn't have cruise control.

Now that I have a Civic with cruise control... I am constantly annoyed by people's inability to maintain speed thus am never really able to take advantage of it unless I drop to 60mph and follow a Semi. Even they have a hard time keeping a consistent speed with the countless idiots that enter a freeway doing 30mph.

I have mixed feelings on cruise control. With it on, I get sleepy quick and have a hard time staying awake at any time of the day (probably cuz of my Sunfire). I really wanted to take advantage of it though.

Wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers were trying to keep it as an option. Anyway to make $ these days, you can be guaranteed they'll do it. Keeping a customer happy and for the long term is a thing of the past. Making a sale at any cost at the highest cost is the motto of this generation.

I do like it on the highway, I can set it and not worry about getting a speeding ticket.

However, unless the road is deserted, I am constantly turning it off and back on because others can't maintain a consistent speed.

And I love how the new cars give you the speed the cruise is set to in the DIC.

love my cruise control. I would have a stack of tickets if I didnt.

On another note, I'm surprised A/C is still an option on some cars.

Cruise control is great. I use it all the time. People are afraid of it because they lack the ability to really control a car and are usually an accident waiting to happen. Many are daydreamers behind the wheel. Narcoleptics really fear it because they fall asleep. They should not be allowed to drive in the first place.

Last edited:
I wanted cruise control on both cars since it makes some long drives easier and less taxing. The wife doesn't like driving the MT Cruze, so cruise control was a concession to her when she does have to drive it on long trips.

I drive my cars with cruise control ! Especially my Corvette, it is so easy to exceed the speed limit and get a ticket ! I even use it at 30 mph in my development.

Last edited:
I'm in my vehicles for hours at a time and couldn't imagine NOT having cruise control...saves a lot of fatigue and discomfort vs. keeping that foot on the gas pedal for hours. OTOH I don't use it continually as it doesn't work so great in areas with steep hills (too much engine noise and downshifting to hold speed) and NEVER use it if the roads are wet or slippery.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just another thing to go wrong; it is up there with cigarette lighters on option desirability.

It is a far shot from the other garbage that is something waiting to go wrong. My 30 yo cruise systems work like new.

My issue isn't so much it being standard or an option, but rather when it ends up being mixed into packages, and not available as a standalone option on all trim levels of vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
love my cruise control. I would have a stack of tickets if I didnt.

On another note, I'm surprised A/C is still an option on some cars.

I am unsure I ever had a car that did not have air conditioning.

As to one of my present vehicles, (S10,) the cruise control throttle cable is snapped, that is possible only reason it doesnt work. That, and the button on the stalk on the left has no tension. (Are those two things related?) Easy fix?

Originally Posted By: Doog
Cruise control is great. I use it all the time. People are afraid of it because they lack the ability to really control a car and are usually an accident waiting to happen. Many are daydreamers behind the wheel. Narcoleptics really fear it because they fall asleep. They should not be allowed to drive in the first place.

I'm agreed on this one though I can't generally use it around town...

Back when I was working, I'd get in the old Olds diesel after a hard day, head down I-64 with the cruse set at about 50mph and A/C at full blast... Meanwhile all the gotta get somewhere folks went zipping on by... Was absoultly great and I was refreshed by the time I got home...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just another thing to go wrong; it is up there with cigarette lighters on option desirability.

TOTALLY DISagree!

I also find it odd that some people dislike leather seating.
confused.gif

I dont like the feel of cruise.Its like the control is out of your hands,and the computer is deciding whats best for you (drive by wire anyone?),very unnatural feeling to have the gas pedal go down suddenly all by itself (shades of Knight Rider)..no thanks,never had cruise never will.

I'm suprized no one mentioned the economy gained by maintaining a constant speed. In a car market largely driven by fuel economy themakers should all be including standard CC.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I'm suprized no one mentioned the economy gained by maintaining a constant speed. In a car market largely driven by fuel economy themakers should all be including standard CC.

That is true theoretically, but I have found for whatever reason that I can do slightly better with manual control.

But for comfort cc can't be beat.

I have no interest in it, power mirrors, power windows, power locks, stereo, power steering or A/C.

Just one more thing to increase the cost of purchase price, and of course, one more thing to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back