Save a Trooper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
If you can do the work yourself it may be worth it.

Troopers are known for severe oil consumption. Bad enough that you could loose nearly all the oil during an OCI, so you have to check it frequently. If you stay on top of that, they can last a long time.

For this reason, I'd go with a good quality rebuilt or remanufactured engine with a good warranty. Junkyard/used engines will be a big gamble.

Troopers are not bad trucks at all if you stay on top of maintenance. Like so many other SUVs though, people tended to beat the [censored] out of them and never bother with pesky maintenance.

Ah, kinda reminds me a bit of the saturns there...

Sounds like it would be happy with a good synthetic...

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I know where there is a yellow one and a blue one.

Best vehicle chevy ever made

Correction, it was the best vehicle Chevy never made
grin2.gif
. Right up there with my Ford Courier.

Most of the LUV's I recall were powder blue.

Funny, my first vehicle was a Ford Courier.

The isuzu diesel continued a few years in the S10. There's a 1985 for sale up north of here for many $1000s with one.

My favorite abusive remote island used a 2wd LUV for deliveries; someone fitted way oversize rear tires on it for comical effect. Was baby blue. Pretty sure it had a single wall bed so if something rolled around inside and hit the "gunwale" it'd show up on the outside as a convex dent.

By the end of its days it would stall going up a dirt road in 1st gear with the pedal to the floor if it was overloaded. Something not quite right.
wink.gif

Getting back to the Trooper ..

I think this is the same V6 in a neighbor's Honda Passport. Her's drinks oil and the percussion section taps out a good beat to the tune of the thing, but it appears to otherwise run well. The Trooper appears to have the DOHC version while hers is the SOHC. Like most Asian engines of that vintage, it's probably more alien than it is complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back