Safeway motor oil - and other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon friends and fellow Bitogers!

It's raining here in the Sunshine State today. Being a man given to some thought, I thought to myself today would be a good day to tackle cleaning the shed.

I entered said shed armed with both coffee and determination. I flipped on the radio and was rewarded with a telling tune: "It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time."

"Indeed" said I to myself, "it has been a long time." ("U-2" is currently singing "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." Oh, the waves of irony are crashing over me in a sea of clutter).

Friends, I digress.

In my morning of hoisting, draggin, lifting and moving, I found ten quarts of 30W "Safeway" motor oil. According to the back label, it is "API service SM."

I don't remember buying this oil, but like the shortest nun in the crowd it is here "none the less."

It's sealed, unopened and apparently each quart of full of motor oil goodness waiting patiently to do it's lubrication thing.

But I'm wondering, who makes this oil? Is it truly what the label says it is? Is this a long, lost "Warren Oil" stepchild? Help, help, the globalinks!

That's one.

Journey with me to an empty five quart jug and a whole pile of half quarts and quarter quarts. They range all the way from 20W50 to 5W20. What would be the danger of mixing these different weights and brands of motor oil into said empty jug and using it in say, the ever faithful "Bluesmobile"? I have done this before with heavier weights of oils, (5W30 with 10W30), but quite honestly, that thin 5W20 kinda scares me.

Give me courage friends in motor oil mixing madness.

And finally, let's talk transmission fluid.

I know this is a motor oil thread, but rather than create a new post, I'll add to this one a tale of transmission fluid. Five quarts of "Havoline" brand tranny fluid. What confuses me is the label says "MD-3. What in the world? Once again, it's a mystery how this came my way but my way it came and here it sits.

Anyone have any idea what this "MD-3" stuff is and which vehicle uses said "MD-3 fluid.

It's been like Christmas, friends, finding things I've forgotten or knew I had but had no idea where they had gone. And while the journey has been long and the way ahead seems dark and foreboding, there does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel in terms of shed organization.

Wish me well brothers, as I jump back into the fray.

LOL, you are a good story teller...

did you find some medicinal cannabis in the garage! LOL

hope you know i'm just kidding and i enjoy reading your posts!!!

Last edited:
Nice Prose. I have no idea about any of the oil, but read the post twice to make sure i caught all the nuance.

Mix er up. it'l be fine. That's what I do.

I drain all my oil bottles, all goes into one jug. When I need a little oil for something or other, thats what I use. Been doing that for over 60 years.

So you found motor oil and transmission fluid in the shed, neither of which you recall how they arrived there. I'm staying out of the advice section to suggest what you should do with those, I'm impressed that you are seeking good uses for both, but what I really want to know is:

What the heck else did you find in there? Gotta be some real gems...

You, sir, made my day. In an otherwise and particularly difficult day at work and at home, you made me laugh. I wanted you to know you had a positive impact on a guy 2000 miles away.

And I am laughing so hard I can't even help you!

Sincerely, a very big thank you!

like all the other folks, a big thank you for the laughs!

now, seriously, depending on how long they stayed, probably some of your additives packs are on the bottom of the can/box.
whatever mix you do, please shake them first.
now for mix, I think CATERHAM or WIDMAN, made an oil mix calculator somewhere....

P.S. I guess now going in the back of autozone for M2 for "BIG D" is out of the question...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back