Sad day ... physical problems regarding doing my own maintenance

I was weed eating with my Ego 56v and when I finished, my right bicep was trying to contract afterwards. The cause? Not having a shoulder support 🤣 So I'm ordering one today and taking a couple days off from the gym. Old age doesn't care,it effects everything.

Seriously though…

Amazing how little weight being held up by an arm and shoulder can be very hard.

Take a 20 pound dumbbell and try to held it perfectly level with your arm fully extended.. That 20 pounds get heavy fairly quickly.

I was doing front shoulder raises at 40 pound dumbbell in each hand… I did that constant 20 pound dumbbell hold and it was rough.

Seriously though…

Amazing how little weight being held up by an arm and shoulder can be very hard.

Take a 20 pound dumbbell and try to held it perfectly level with your arm fully extended.. That 20 pounds get heavy fairly quickly.

I was doing front shoulder raises at 40 pound dumbbell in each hand… I did that constant 20 pound dumbbell hold and it was rough.

I'm sure you've heard about people tearing the bicep muscle. It literally is so sore that's my main concern is not tearing the muscle tissue.

I'm sure you've heard about people tearing the bicep muscle. It literally is so sore that's my main concern is not tearing the muscle tissue.

Ohh absolutely…

You are extremely smart to do what you are doing there.

Torn bicep ain’t no joke.. That is a DED…
Don’t Ever Do..

I had rotor cup surgery on left shoulder and still rehabing, and need right done…not doing it rehabbing if murder. I’ll live with limited movement. I just find working on the cars therapeutic.

I’m 46. Been on testosterone injections since I was 40. Had my left rotator cuff done about 10 years ago. At some point my right one needs to be done. I’m also a an aircraft mechanic which isn’t good on the shoulders, at least mine, lol. I feel the aches and pains in my knees and lower back but it goes away. I try to stay physically active, swim twice a week and lift weights when I remember.

My boss had his shear off, had to have surgery to reattach to the bone. I had not heard of that before!

I tore my bicep off the bone (lower connection) and had it re-attached. They drill a hole in the bone where it was attached, string it through, and screw it down. I was back to full strength and competing in strong man again in less than a year. I will say it was the most painful surgery I have had of my 7 different times under the knife.

You need to find an apprentice to pass your wisdom on to while they swing the mallet.

YES!!! This is a great idea. When I was a teenager, there were older people living in the neighbourhood where I grew up, and some of them had lost their physical capacity to do some of the heavier chores at home or involving their vehicles.. I was an open book and very keen to learn, and I helped them with their chores while they taught me some wonderful skills. Absolutely, keep yourself as fit as possible and do everything you potentially can do safely, but also never forget that you have a great deal to offer because you have wisdom and knowledge that the younger and stronger folks do not often possess. Instead of being the “doer“ of the activity, you can transition to “teacher” or “mentor/sensei“. You still get to be a part of the activity in a way and you have the satisfaction of having taught skills to those who are willing and open to listen. And the potential impact that you have on this younger person cannot be understated. What I wouldn’t give for just an hour to speak once again to these amazing people who were so kind to share their knowledge in spite of their failing physical abilities. This includes my grandparents. Although. they passed away many years ago, I miss them terribly to this day and I am so grateful for all of the wisdom they imparted to me.

I only turn 43 tomorrow, but unfortunately I have been recently diagnosed with MS so doing any physical work at all, even walking the dog or cutting the grass is much, much more difficult than it was a couple years ago. Jobs on the car where I am not getting up and down a lot are ok, but even washing it and having to crouch to clean wheels etc over and over is really quite a pain, which is sad because I enjoy doing it. I'm going to do my best, hope for the best, and try to enjoy those things, that is all I can really do at this point. I feel the OP's pain.

Sucks that’s why I’m not doing right shoulder. I still do my exercises from PT but it’s slow going.

Understand completely. I've dislocated both of my shoulders during my journey through life. The recovery process is slow,but it's worth it in the end. Plus I have a pain tolerance that's unreal now.

wisdom? And I have an excuse not to clean out my FIL's 2nd story eves troughs on his POS flexy-flyer ladder anymore.... :LOL:
Maybe that's wisdom?
Had one of those a friend gave me. We marked "the widowmaker" on the side. Probably rated for an 150lb person and not 200lbs and 75lbs of shingles, tools, etc.

Back