ryobi 4-stroke to the curb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: meep
I can't do rechargable or electric.... total lot is close to 3/4 acre, and while I don't trim every time I mow, it's a heavy load when I do.

One thing I'm noticing is the husq's and stihl's don't favor "attachments." is that more of a big-box feature?

Husq does have a 4-cycle, if I'm that set on it.... I neck strap, and I'm coming from a 4-stroke machine, so I'm not as concerned about weight there.

Both of them have models that use attachments. The Husqvarna ones are compatible with cheap attachments like Ryobi, though there are better quality Husqvarna branded ones. Stihl has their own system. No experience with either.

I bought a 4-stroke Ryobi and needed to modify it with a oil catch can to keep the blow-by out of the carb. Then I re-adjusted the carb to keep it running when you applied the throttle. Now it starts and runs fine, I bought a cheap edger attachment and use it as a dedicated edger since it does not like being tilted.

Then I bought a Domar String trimmer with the Mitsubishi TLE- series engine off Ebay, The Dolmar is Made in Germany with the Japan made Mitsubishi engine, the rest of the trimmer is makita.

I like my Echo the best of any of them.

Recently, I purchased a "commercially rated" Toro powerhead for my Ryobi attachments. It's actually pretty good. $119 at homeless depot. It has a catalytic converter, so it does not smell at all. Starts and runs very well indeed. Nice tight fuel tank, with quality materials too.

Something to think about: 2 strokes have oil in the gas, and that greatly prolongs the life of the fuel. You will have far fewer fuel related problems with 2 strokes.

I ALWAYS use some form of Ethanol free fuel in my tools. From Avgas 100LL to VP racing fuels C9 (a 96 octane, long life fuel that's cheap too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back