Royal Purple color loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
RP stayed distinctively purple in my low miles F150 for about 600 miles but that was the old formula. You'd think in a new engine, it would hold color longer but we don't know how much old oil stays in the engine.

The empty bottles is decent proof the job was done as you requested because the whole shop would have seen the tech decanting the bottles into another container. It would have to be a shop-wide "conspiracy" if it happened. Possible but how likely? Most shops would not tolerate such behavior from each other but some shops are bad all the ay through. Not many but some.

Ultimately, you could take a sample of the installed oil and compare that to a VOA of the RP oil. Yeah, that would cost you money but it would tell you whether you can trust the shop. No matter what, it's going to be uphill and a fair bit of effort for seven quarts of oil. Unless you do the oil analysis, you don't have much to go on. At this point, you just have to decide which hill you want to die on. Be nice to the svc manager, see what he has to say but turn your [censored] detector on full. If nothing else, stuff like this tells you whether you ever want to return.

My
49.gif

I changed the RP in my Wife's Focus, which is easy on oil,at about 6,500 miles and it STILL had a purplish tint to it in the sunlight.
Hate to say I think they played you...UNLESS your engine was extremely dirty, which I doubt.

JGR

Originally Posted By: Peter_J
I can change the oil, no problem. However, keeping the car certified adds value to the vehicle when I get ready to trade it in.

Who told you this? I've never heard such a thing but I tend to keep cars a long time and only visit dealers for warranty or specialty service.

I have used this oil before and right after starting up the motor and re-checking the oil level it was not purple even though it was purple pouring out of the bottle. So it is possible. I know how you feel though because I have personally had that happen to me as well. Tech had no idea I was watching and I got bulk oil and my 8 qts of Mobil 1 went in his toolbox. Sad thing is I worked there so I cannot imagine how the customers get treated. I asked for my half quart back and he was like ummmmm....... lol

In my car, RP is purple for about 5 miles then it goes clear/light light brown.
It has been that way for 150k miles or so. I do oil changes at 5-6k miles. It turns black..I mean tar black between 3.5-4k. It always has done this since I have owned it. My UOAs are decent so it's not harming it.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
RP stayed distinctively purple in my low miles F150 for about 600 miles but that was the old formula. You'd think in a new engine, it would hold color longer but we don't know how much old oil stays in the engine.
it's fairly easy to figure that out, I usually add 1/2 less quart of oil than listed per the manual.....give it 5 minutes to drain to the pan, then re-check it.

Same technique I've seen them do at Walmart TLE....since some cars it differs how much oil stays in the pan/engine/etc....but most of the time it's pretty close to the listed amount in the manual....

Quote:
The empty bottles is decent proof the job was done as you requested because the whole shop would have seen the tech decanting the bottles into another container. It would have to be a shop-wide "conspiracy" if it happened.
definitely, my thoughts exactly. if they had empty bottles, it had to be done....still don't make sense that they buried them under paper towels like they were hiding something though....

Quote:
Ultimately, you could take a sample of the installed oil and compare that to a VOA of the RP oil.
My thoughts exactly......[censored], perhaps contact Royal Purple directly and ask them, tell them the scenario, perhaps they even have an in-house lab to detect if the fill in your crankcase is actually RP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back