Round holes AND louvers! Oh the humanity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Maybe all filters do this, I don't know but I just noticed it. Changed the oil on the Trailblazer and this is the new Fram Ultra XG3506. The old one (2 years old) also was like this. Why both?

200vcj9.jpg

Holding a brand new filter with glove ! Afraid of contaminating the filter ?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: tig1
Why so many holes at the bottom of the filter, but none at the base end? Poor design, or manufacturing problem?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems that would reduce the flow a lot.

Things like this make me want to use the e-core filters sometimes, no restriction at all with those.

On my Fusion, which has a MC FL 2017 cartridge filter, the center tube is plastic(e-core I guess)and is wide open. Maybe Fram should consider that as opposed to the poorly punched center tube in this filter.

Originally Posted By: car51
Looks ok to use in my eyes. Let's ask crazyoildude
smile.gif

Every time you make one of these comments I get a good kick out of it.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Maybe all filters do this, I don't know but I just noticed it. Changed the oil on the Trailblazer and this is the new Fram Ultra XG3506. The old one (2 years old) also was like this. Why both?

200vcj9.jpg

Holding a brand new filter with glove ! Afraid of contaminating the filter ?
Lol, I'm not gonna take my gloves off just so that I can put a clean filter on in an oil filled crevice.

Im gonna do a cut and post of the old Fram Ultra. 2 years and 11,000 miles. Get ready for that post! I'll see if I have time this weekend.

Now the "holes" have become the obsession with some members. I guess one could say I am obsessed with the obessed. It's not illegal and unless it leads to other things, probably not unhealthy so go for it guys. Reminds me of a Seinfeld character that described the 120V duplex outlet as "holes." "Oh, you mean the holes."

Yup a little bit Crazy here but far from stupid and basically a nice guy but i do have some very valid points although maybe sometimes a little over thinked per say. And yes there is a fair amount of ocd involved but people with ocd are usually on the money with things according to a good friend and neighbor who is a shrink for 29 years..

I still don't like louvers and when i see my neighbor the shrink Danny jogging around the block i will tell him ...lol

Why so many holes at the bottom of the filter, but none at the base end? Poor design, or manufacturing problem?

Things like this make me want to use the e-core filters sometimes, no restriction at all with those.

The amount of delta-p vs flow through the center tube is a function of total flow area. It doesn't matter what the hole pattern is the center tube is (ie, more holes at the bottom, top or wherever). A positive displacement oil pump is going to force the oil through.

I really don't know how all this center tube focus has gotten so out of hand.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The amount of delta-p vs flow through the center tube is a function of total flow area. It doesn't matter what the hole pattern is the center tube is (ie, more holes at the bottom, top or wherever). A positive displacement oil pump is going to force the oil through.

I really don't know how all this center tube focus has gotten so out of hand.
crazy.gif

You know, I never thought about it, but so long as you have at least the same open area in the center tube as the inlet holes, flow will not be affected.

But I agree, we worry too much about some silly things sometimes. That is part of the reason I decided to use the Motorcraft "tearolator" filters I have.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Yup a little bit Crazy here but far from stupid and basically a nice guy but i do have some very valid points although maybe sometimes a little over thinked per say. And yes there is a fair amount of ocd involved but people with ocd are usually on the money with things according to a good friend and neighbor who is a shrink for 29 years..

I still don't like louvers and when i see my neighbor the shrink Danny jogging around the block i will tell him ...lol

I have known some pretty unstable shrinks........

Guys,
The small slots next to the seam are used to draw the tube into a cylindrical shape during manufacturing. As far as the amount of holes, we use a corrugated sheet stock with a row of holes in every other corrugation for three rows and then skip the next two. There are more than enough holes to assure proper oil flow.

if the holes are too small in a filter or not enough of them the oil will be forced through those little openings with more force and it can cause molecular shearing. There are lots of places inside an engine that can do this and i believe the less tight places an oil has to travel the better ..Im an engine rebuilder not a tribologist or filter expert but i like low restriction oil flow..
On the other hand in the cold winter when the oil is very thick it will or should put the filter/engine into bypass and than the oil is not being filtered while its in bypass.

Proof that when you have no basis for a technical argument you just make stuff up to try and save face.

Or, you just make stuff up for the heck of it. One or the other.

if the holes are too small in a filter or not enough of them the oil will be forced through those little openings with more force and it can cause molecular shearing.

What? ... "molecular sheering" of what?

There are lots of places inside an engine that can do this and i believe the less tight places an oil has to travel the better ..Im an engine rebuilder not a tribologist or filter expert but i like low restriction oil flow. On the other hand in the cold winter when the oil is very thick it will or should put the filter/engine into bypass and than the oil is not being filtered while its in bypass.

You do realize that the average engine is about 15 times MORE restrictive to oil flow than the average oil filter.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I have known some pretty unstable shrinks........
I went to one and I should have been asking the questions. That guy should have been prosecuted for taking money under false pretenses.

The thing I like about open lovers is there is no lost material to account for. Holes means that the material must be removed and account for otherwise, it could end up blocking an oil galley. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back