Hengst H97W05 (7317 size) has few inlet holes

Threw this Hengst filter on an order from Rock Auto. Was hoping it was made in the plant her in South Carolina, but this one is made in Poland. Seems like a nice heavy filter. However it has fewer inlet holes than any other filter this size I have seen.

Compared to the OEM Nissan filter - pictured - the Hengst has 6 inlet holes at 6mm diameter each. The Nissan has 8 holes, also 6mm diameter.

For additional comparison, I have a standard Wix and Denso, both have 8 holes at about 6mm each. I have a Champ XL and Fram XG 7317 and they have more and or larger holes.

So I assume Hengst knows what there doing here - but this does seem a little concerning. No?

IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG

1704685977345.jpg

However it has fewer inlet holes than any other filter this size I have seen.
Plenty of total base plate hole area in all of those filters ... nothing to worry about. A base plate like that only produces about 2 to 3 PSI of dP at 10 GPM and only ~ 0.5 PSI of dP at 5 GPM with cold oil (500 cSt). Even less with hot oil (10 ~ 15 cSt). And who drives around with cold oil causing the engine's oil pump to be putting out 10 GPM? 😄

The positive displacement oil pump doesn't care about 2 to 3 PSI of dP. The same oil volume is going to be forced through the filter as long as the pump stays out of pressure relief. The oiling system uses a PD pump for a reason ... to keep the volume per RPM the same regardelss of the downstream restiction.

Last edited:
Running one now on my ‘06 Honda Odyssey from Rockauto with Mobil 1 0w-20 EP.

All seems good to me! Maybe in the spring when it comes off I will cut it open.

A popular topic that has been covered before:

It looks like the 6 holes are slightly larger than the Nissan filter w/more holes. Hengst being a OEM supplier & reputable brand I'd have no issues running it. Nice comparison.
I measured them with a caliper, and they are the same - just under 6mm.. However I could have done some math before posting I suppose because the 6 together are around the size of a 14mm diameter single hole, as mentioned above. The thread is M20, so I doubt the hole in the middle of the exit tube is any more than 14mm - probably much less. However since 6 smaller holes will have more restriction to flow than a single large hole, however I doubt its a problem or Hengst wouldn't be selling them I suppose.

I just found it odd.

Last edited:
However since 6 smaller holes will have more restriction to flow than a single large hole
Not always. The velocity through one large orifice can make the dP through it more than the same total flow going through 6 smaller orifices (with less flow velocity due to 1/6th the flow through each hole) that equal the same flow area as the one large hole/orifice. You would have to run the numbers through a good dP calculator - I've done that, and it showed what I explained.

I measured them with a caliper, and they are the same - just under 6mm.. However I could have done some math before posting I suppose because the 6 together are around the size of a 14mm diameter single hole, as mentioned above. The thread is M20, so I doubt the hole in the middle of the exit tube is any more than 14mm - probably much less. However since 6 smaller holes will have more restriction to flow than a single large hole, however I doubt its a problem or Hengst wouldn't be selling them I suppose.

I just found it odd.
Your exactly Right, The builders have already done the Inlet to outlet flow design math & that is a good way to compare them. I would've questioned the same thing though.

Thanks, another great video from WCW. Interesting how different the filter produced in Mexico is compared to the one produced in Poland.

While we're at it, I noted the filter media areas from his other videos of the equivalent filters:
- Fram PH7317: ~103 in²
- Wix 57356: ~67 in²
- Hengst H97W05 (Mexico): ~96 in²

Back