Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using Rotella in the following gas engines:

10w-30 in 2001 GMC 6.0 liter
10w-30 in 1995 Chevy 4.3 liter
SAE 30 (with bottle of ZDDPlus) in 1974 Chevy 454ci
SAE 30 in 22hp Briggs V-Twin riding mower
SAE 30 in 6hp Briggs push mower

I'm also using SAE 30 (with bottle of ZDDPlus) in my 2004 diesel tractor.

I have read in different places that using HDEO in some gas engines is not good and was just wondering about you experts opinions.
Thanks alot!

if they dont burn oil, Id say OK. If they do burn oil and you have emissions tests/requirements, Id probably try to go to a robust SM oil, as some of the adds can kill the catalysts quickly.

I'm running M1 TDT 5w40 in my gas engines, and the car seems to just love it. As JHZR2 stated, as long as it doesn't burn oil, you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
if they dont burn oil, Id say OK. If they do burn oil and you have emissions tests/requirements, Id probably try to go to a robust SM oil, as some of the adds can kill the catalysts quickly.

As in catalytic convertors? We don't have emissions tests here yet but I'm sure we will in the near future. I should probably go ahead and use regular SM oil in the 1995 & 2001 as those would be the only 2 that would have to be tested.

Thanks for your replies!

The 10W-30 is a robust SM rated oil.
banana2.gif
I'm using it in my Legacy GT.

Ed

Robust because in order to be high tbn, soot control AND have a balanced additive package it needs a lot of additve. A SM oil can do the same thing without the added "robust" ash that a gas engine doesn't need.

Originally Posted By: kartracer61
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

As in catalytic convertors? We don't have emissions tests here yet but I'm sure we will in the near future. I should probably go ahead and use regular SM oil in the 1995 & 2001 as those would be the only 2 that would have to be tested.

Thanks for your replies!

The issue really is not whether you have emissions testing so much as the performace of your engine. If any of your vehicles are EQUIPED with cats then poisoning them can cause you performance issues whether you go through emissions testing or not.

Plugging up a cat makes 'em run really bad, so that is where you would run into trouble. Although IMO, if the engine is burning enough oil to actually cause issues with the cat you have engine problems that need to be addressed and you would have the same emissions equipment problems reguardless. I think the only real difference would be how long it takes to notice the problem gas vs diesel engine oil. In practice I have seen just that on "modern" gas engines. When they get to a point they are burning a significant amount of oil they are going to cause cat problems no matter what oil you put in it.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I use Rotella T 5w40 in my wife's Mercedes. All is well, as far as I can tell.
does it burn oil?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I use Rotella T 5w40 in my wife's Mercedes. All is well, as far as I can tell.
does it burn oil?

Negative.

I came here to research this very topic. I picked up 5 quarts of Motorcraft 15w40 for $2 each thinking it would be a great top off oil for my Taurus.

I guess I will take it back as I still have the recipt. If only I owned a house and had a lawnmower.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I came here to research this very topic. I picked up 5 quarts of Motorcraft 15w40 for $2 each thinking it would be a great top off oil for my Taurus.

I guess I will take it back as I still have the recipt. If only I owned a house and had a lawnmower.
frown.gif

It should still be a good top off oil. One quart per four regular SM shouldn't hurt anything in the long run. I'd keep it, but that's just me.

I am planning on putting RTS in my Xterra from the next change on. There is a long running thread over on the 350Z forums where the RTS has shown some excellent UOA's. The VQ V6 seems to be particularly hard on oil (timing chains shearing the oil?) and the valve train design favoring something with a lot of Z.

Will post up a UOA in a few months.

RTS works great in my BMW 318i, and it doesnt consume any.

Ive changed to schaeffer's though

Rotella is API SM rated. All the talk in this thread about "Its OK so long as your engine does not burn oil" is FALSE.

If your car burns oils, so be it, has nothing to do with Rotella and using Rotella if your car does burn oil does not make matters any worse or any better.

With the API SM rating, the oil in its 10w30 can be run in just about any engine.

For the past year I have gone back and forth between 15w40 and 10w30 Rotella in my 96 BMW.

Of note in some of today's engines is that they call for API Starburst rating... and not an Sx rating. Take care when such is stated and do stick to what is specificed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back