Ridgeline to take a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the Ridgeline marketed towards the compacts? I'm cumfused, It wasn't a full size was, it lacked the Low range 4wd of the S10/Ranger, It got horrific milage, it was unibody, had a low towing capacity. Who was it marketed towards? The market never got it either thus the sales. It was a comprimise of all that did nothing well.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
It had the infamous AT. IT LACKED true low range 4WD it was just an all wheel drive setup. it had like 900lbs cargo capacity.
It was Honda's FAILED attempt at a truck

1,500 lbs bed capacity and 5,000 lbs towing.

I agree, Honda did not understand the target market. I am going to be in the market for a light truck in the next 2 years. If Honda had something in line with the Tundra I would give it a serious look. Not so with the Ridgeline. If I want to haul 2 yards of gravel to the house, it would be extremely taxed.

I have nothing against Honda. However, I don't think I am alone in saying that when there were rumors about a Honda truck I was excited. When I saw the Ridgeline I was like "huh?".

Honda NEVER had a truck in the states. It was a unibody car with a bed on it. Bout time they kill off that pos

It was very much a truck, and a good one at that. Fully independent suspension and unibody frame allowed them to handle well for a truck, they got better MPG's than most trucks, and they could tow pretty much anything you needed them too. Most people dont need the huge American V8 trucks they buy. Granted some people do, but most do not.

However, as I have said previously, the Ridgeline has been made irrelevant by more capable V6 powered full size pickups. Independent suspension? Look at a V6 powered Ram. Honda just designed a good vehicle that was not looking at demographics or industry developments.

Honda's Aztek. Gotta give them credit for trying something different, but it sure is ugly and does nothing well.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Honda's Aztek. Gotta give them credit for trying something different, but it sure is ugly and does nothing well.

Yeah, the Honda was a dud.

However, the Pontiac Aztek was worse. People saw the prototype, hated it, and it got built anyway. They intended to sell it for $26,000 but because everyone hated the look, they had to lower the price to about $16,500 to actually sell them.

Honda may not have gotten great reviews on the Ridgeline, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Wasn't the Ridgeline marketed towards the compacts? I'm cumfused, It wasn't a full size was, it lacked the Low range 4wd of the S10/Ranger, It got horrific milage, it was unibody, had a low towing capacity. Who was it marketed towards? The market never got it either thus the sales. It was a comprimise of all that did nothing well.

Why do you express your opinion about the Ridgeline with such anger in your posts? I can almost see the spit flying out of your mouth....and a beet red face. I've had TWO Ridgelines and think they fit the bill PERFECTLY well for me. You call it a "POS" like you are some expert on all things truck. I've had an F150, a smaller Nissan pickup, a 4 cylinder Toyota 4x4 pickup, and two Rangers. The Ridgeline is tops in my book. I have no need to pull more than the listed 5,000 pounds nor fill the bed with any more weight than it is designed for. It's 4x4 system works FLAWLESSLY and far surpasses any other 4x4 I've owned. It's road manners are excellent, MPG's on mine current model average 20mpg, and the interior is built with tough materials. It always ticks me off whenever the Ridgeline topic comes up because angry, insulting, verbal clods such as yourself feel it imperative to voice so much misplaced hatred for the vehicle. If you don't like the vehicle...fine. If you are so 'confused' about the vehicle and why MANY folks love them....go visit the Ridgeline Owners Club forum and maybe you might learn something.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Honda NEVER had a truck in the states. It was a unibody car with a bed on it. Bout time they kill off that pos

It was very much a truck, and a good one at that. Fully independent suspension and unibody frame allowed them to handle well for a truck, they got better MPG's than most trucks, and they could tow pretty much anything you needed them too. Most people dont need the huge American V8 trucks they buy. Granted some people do, but most do not.

Be very careful. Making positive comments about the Ridgeline will only draw criticism.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Why do you express your opinion about the Ridgeline with such anger in your posts? I can almost see the spit flying out of your mouth....and a beet red face. I've had TWO Ridgelines and think they fit the bill PERFECTLY well for me. You call it a "POS" like you are some expert on all things truck. I've had an F150, a smaller Nissan pickup, a 4 cylinder Toyota 4x4 pickup, and two Rangers. The Ridgeline is tops in my book. I have no need to pull more than the listed 5,000 pounds nor fill the bed with any more weight than it is designed for. It's 4x4 system works FLAWLESSLY and far surpasses any other 4x4 I've owned. It's road manners are excellent, MPG's on mine current model average 20mpg, and the interior is built with tough materials. It always ticks me off whenever the Ridgeline topic comes up because angry, insulting, verbal clods such as yourself feel it imperative to voice so much misplaced hatred for the vehicle. If you don't like the vehicle...fine. If you are so 'confused' about the vehicle and why MANY folks love them....go visit the Ridgeline Owners Club forum and maybe you might learn something.

He seems to have a personal vendetta against anything Honda or import from his posting history.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

He seems to have a personal vendetta against anything Honda or import from his posting history.

He's just generally a very angry person who expresses his heavily biased opinions without a hint of tact or eloquence. Take a look at his post history.

Wasn't a big fan of it at first, but it grew on me. A friend of mine had one, and it was a cool truck. For someone looking not to "truck" it like crazy, it fit the bill nicely. That truck moved a bunch of stuff, and had no issues at Home Depot..

I'd be cool with owning one.
smile.gif

Why do you express your opinion about the Ridgeline with such anger in your posts? I can almost see the spit flying out of your mouth....and a beet red face.

He does seem very angry. Especially considering it's just a truck. The Ridgeline to me is what most truck owners should own. They like to pretend they need big trucks, but the reality is the Ridgeline could fill the needs of probably 80% of truck owners.

Originally Posted By: JOD
It had the infamous AT. IT LACKED true low range 4WD it was just an all wheel drive setup. it had like 900lbs cargo capacity.
It was Honda's FAILED attempt at a truck

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but there are very few reports of transmission issues with the Ridgeline, all of the independent data show it's quite reliable. The payload capacity is 1,500 lbs. "true low 4WD"? Most trucks never see off-road.

It's not the truck for you. That's fine. Making up stuff because you don't like it and saying it's a "POS". Why do people insist on doing this? Serious question.

Most trucks are driven exclusively on paved roads and carry small loads. That's reality. I think those folks would be better off with a station wagon, but some folks prefer trucks. If they want to pay to put gas in them, that's their choice. If someone uses their truck to haul really heavy loads, tow a ton of stuff or drive off-road a lot, they should probably consider another truck.

Well put. For the average person this is all the truck that they need. My place of employment is full of trucks and 90% of them will never see anything in the bed, let alone towing. I see the Hondas all over the place here and one co-worker has one and he loves it and has never had an issue with it.

Is it possible that there just isn't a huge market for these SUV/Pickup hybrids? I don't remember the Explorer Sport-Trac selling too strongly either. Perhaps the person that wants to own a truck wants a real truck with a body on frame design and V8 engine even though they totally don't need it.

I kinda think the market for the Ridgeline would be a nicer interior, more conservative styling and targeted towards someone with an active lifestyle that wants to haul skis, bikes, a kayak, and plants for their garden. But in that case, they'd probably just buy a Tacoma.

Even with a lighter weight unibody, V6 and FWD, I don't think you're going to be able to overcome the aerodynamics of any pickup type vehicle and get any real improvement in mileage over a body on frame traditional truck.

There's a lot of idiocy and misinformation in this thread. Sure it was never a stunner in the looks department and doesn't get great MPG but the Ridgeline is very much a truck, it broke important engineering ground for its time, and continues to be a success for Honda.

1. Yes it has a unibody but it also has an integrated closed-box ladder frame underneath which makes the body structure more rigid than any body-on-frame truck to this day. Other important features were the dual-action tailgate and the in-bed trunk.
2. The real falacy here is that comparisons to F-150 and Silverado and RAM are flawed because the Ridgeline is NOT the same type of truck nor was it intended to be.
3. To this day it's a successful model for Honda, introduced in 2005 with limited changes this 9 year old model is still on track to sell 15,000-18,000 units for Honda this year! Small potatoes compared to other types of trucks like F-150, but remember, it's much older and it's NOT the same type of truck.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Is it possible that there just isn't a huge market for these SUV/Pickup hybrids? I don't remember the Explorer Sport-Trac selling too strongly either. Perhaps the person that wants to own a truck wants a real truck with a body on frame design and V8 engine even though they totally don't need it.

I kinda think the market for the Ridgeline would be a nicer interior, more conservative styling and targeted towards someone with an active lifestyle that wants to haul skis, bikes, a kayak, and plants for their garden. But in that case, they'd probably just buy a Tacoma.

Even with a lighter weight unibody, V6 and FWD, I don't think you're going to be able to overcome the aerodynamics of any pickup type vehicle and get any real improvement in mileage over a body on frame traditional truck.

I think this is basically the truth. It would fit the needs of many, but in the end, most size their vehicles for the most demanding of their needs, regardless of how often they use them. Or even just on the appearance of limitation. V6, lack of low range, 5k max towing and finally no great mpg boost.

Great idea, I'm glad that Honda explored it. If anything perhaps they have the right idea: introduce it, run it for what, 7 years? then kill it for a few years. Those who love the model will gripe about it being gone, then snap 'em right back up when the new model gets out. And Honda only has to do new model cycles half as often as a result. Niche perhaps but sales are sales.

I think it's was incorrect(Avalanche)configuration and price. I think a regular or x cab configuration at $24,000-25,000 would sell much better. I think this market is coming back toward Honda with mpg regs. I'd choose a Ridgeline over a Tacoma,at the same price point,everytime. Hope Honda gives it another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back