Resolved -- issue installing tensioner and alternator on 3800 F-Body

Never mind, everything works once you install the belt. Without the belt, the pulley on the tensioner rubs against the alternator, but this goes away when you actually put the belt on and the tension is applied. I started this thread before installing the new belt, and after posting it, I watched a couple videos on YouTube to confirm that it is in fact correct.

On a 2001 3.8 V6 4th gen Firebird/Camaro, I'm replacing the tensioner and alternator because the alternator is bad, and one of the plastic elbows was broken. Obviously I got the metal elbows to replace the plastic, and I replaced the O-rings that came on them with OEM GM O-rings.

Everything was good until I put the new alternator on. It's an AC Delco New alternator. Part number 335-1081.

I compared both old and new alternators, and they look identical dimension-wise. The tensioners also look the same. I used a Continental tensioner, which is a reboxed OE Litens made in Canada.

The tensioner pulley rubs against the alternator body, and now I don't know what to do! Has anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: on second thought, does the pulley go down to the correct position once the belt is installed? It it will work when installed, I'll feel like such an idiot :D

Last edited:
Put on a spacer/washer?

The alternator has a built-in spacer in the upper bolt hole, the smaller 10mm bolt. This spacer/washer is present in both the old and new alternator.

EDIT: will the pulley go down by itself once the belt is installed and the tension is on it? :unsure:

Is the contact caused by a new belt of differing length? Would a shorter belt swing the tensioner pulley clear?

I didn't install the belt yet, and now I think I'm just an idiot and it might resolve itself once the belt is installed.

Some alternators have to be “clocked” to fit. Pull it apart, push the brushes back in the brush holder and insert a straightened paper clip through the brush holder holes to hold the brushes in place until the two halves are back together. Secure the bolts and pull the paper clip out. Good to go.

On a 2001 3.8 Firebird/Camaro, I'm replacing the tensioner and alternator because the alternator is bad, and one of the plastic elbows was broken. Obviously I got the metal elbows to replace the plastic, and I replaced the O-rings that came on them with OEM GM O-rings.

Everything was good until I put the new alternator on. It's an AC Delco New alternator. Part number 335-1081.

I compared both old and new alternators, and they look identical dimension-wise. The tensioners also look the same. I used a Continental tensioner, which is a reboxed OE Litens made in Canada.

The tensioner pulley rubs against the alternator body, and now I don't know what to do! Has anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: on second thought, does the pulley go down to the correct position once the belt is installed? It it will work when installed, I'll feel like such an idiot :D
Put the belt on and see if it is still hits, I think it will be okay.

UPDATE: it installed fine! There is no rubbing with the belt on! I used a Bando belt. GM just discontinued the OE belt for this car like a week before I bought the parts :sneaky:

I feel so stupid now.

Thank you everybody for your help :)

I haven't started the car yet because I'm going to flush the radiator with water and then refill with Peak 10x. But it will get dark before I finish all that, so I'll do it tomorrow.

Put the belt on and see if it is still hits, I think it will be okay.
The best fixes. The ones that all you suffer is a bit of red-facedness. Do update if it resolves itself!
I think the tensioner is wrong - try grabbing one from the AZ or other store and see if that works

The tensioner is right. It's a reboxed OE tensioner.

No thread is complete without visual aids. Here is the belt routing. You can see how the tensioner could retract and hit the alternator pulley if there is no belt in place to hold it.

drive belt.JPG

Back