Rented a Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Prius battery cost is way overblown. There are rebuild batteries with new cells these days for only $2k (need to return your old one as core) on the older hybrids. For something with 150k warranty (and likely last you 200k miles, it saves so much fuel cost that it is barely anything in the long run.
an unexpected $2000 repair would be a major problem to many. me included

Originally Posted By: FocusTi
The Prius owners that crack me up are the ones that bought it for better MPG in mostly highway driving. They rule inner-city MPG, but do no better than a Camry at highway speeds. I have a friend who bought one and regularly drives it between Denver and Fort Collins. He's not exactly overwhelmed with the mileage and realizes now he could've just bought a 4-cylinder Camry.

Since when can a 4-cyl Camry get in the high 40's MPG on the highway?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
dishdude said:
Quest said:
@OP:

In my experience, a lot of Prius drivers have no idea what they are doing.

They just "are" is the best way to put it. They have no idea they are in a car. They have no idea they are in motion. They don't know where they are going.

Actually they do know what they are doing. Are you serious?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Compare a Prius to something reasonable (say, a Focus, Civic, or Corolla) and the ROI isn't there. I could compare my Dakota to a new Prius & show how much more the Prius costs...but that would be equally ridiculous!

It really depends on your intended application. If it is strictly for commuting, then it is definitely a tougher case to make.

But if the car will be your only vehicle, it is no comparison. The storage versatility with the Prius is far superior to any of the other choices you mentioned.

When you can average low to mid 40s in just about any urban stop-and-go environment and still have significant cargo space, you have a winner. And that's why you'll see the Prius outnumber the Corolla significantly in many areas.

We own both a 2012 Civic and a 2013 Prius. My wife's commute was already long and got longer. I would compare the Prius versus a Civic/Corolla. That would put it at a $4k premium versus those. Many 5 year cost of ownership models put the Civic and Prius costing the same at the end of 5 years. Running the numbers we would repay the premium under 3 years. We have an average of 49 mpg since new and I like it better than the Civic. It is quieter, rides better, gets better mpgs (35 vs 49) and has a really good audio system (bass). I am 31 by the way and have owned mostly 4 cylinder manual transmission Honda's (89 Accord, 91 CRX, two 96 Civics, 04 Accord [all 4 cylinder manuals]). We are all auto now since the wife cannot drive a stick, never learned and disability would make it difficult to do it safely. I hate autos but its the only thing that keeps me from driving it like I stole it. I see a S2000 or equivalent in my future.

It also doubles as a generator (Central Florida): http://priuschat.com/threads/my-install-...nerator.122948/

I am a gear head but my frugality reigns supreme (early retirement/financial freedom). I have replaced engines, transmissions, clutches and everything easier than that. I have also rebuilt an engine. I change my own oil even though its free.

Last edited:
For a good portion of those who own any hybrids is about owning a high tech vehicle, smaller carbon foot print, fun to drive, making less trip to gas station and long term durability. It may or may not be all about ROI.

One night when i was driving from work. This guy pulled up in a prius on a red light. He kept flooring it like it was a sports car. I got a good laugh out of it.

Prius is capable of 105 ft-lb torque from gas engine and 153 from electric motor totaling 258 ft-lb torque under full throttle.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
Prius is capable of 105 ft-lb torque from gas engine and 153 from electric motor totaling 258 ft-lb torque under full throttle.

No. The power and torque is split, not added on top of each other. The electric motor is only efficient at lower rpm. Once rpms go up the gas engine takes over. Under full throttle only the gas engine works.

Originally Posted By: mikefxu
I am a gear head but my frugality reigns supreme (early retirement/financial freedom). I have replaced engines, transmissions, clutches and everything easier than that. I have also rebuilt an engine. I change my own oil even though its free.

This is where I'm at. I'm looking at how much money the GTI costs me to commute in, and while compared to larger vehicles it isn't terribly bad, a Prius would save me $150 a month between gas and tires. I'm considering other vehicles, but in the $10k-$13k range a used Prius seems to be a terrific value.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

This is where I'm at. I'm looking at how much money the GTI costs me to commute in, and while compared to larger vehicles it isn't terribly bad, a Prius would save me $150 a month between gas and tires. I'm considering other vehicles, but in the $10k-$13k range a used Prius seems to be a terrific value.

$10-$13k range? That Prius is probably gonna need a battery in the next few years. Hope you have $2k-$3k cash to pay for a new one.

If he's planning for early retirement, my bet is he can easily buy that battery, no problem.

Assuming it actually dies, that is.

Power Split Drive System refers to input to transmission. The output can be combined from both sources under demand such as full acceleration.

"FULL ACCELERATION: ICE power + battery power
When strong acceleration is called for (e.g, for climbing a steep slope or overtaking) the power
from the battery is supplied to the electric motor MG2, to supplement driving power.
By combining the power from the gas/petrol engine and the electric motors, HSD delivers power
comparable to cars having one class larger engine. Most HSD systems have batteries that are sized
for maximal boost during a single acceleration from zero to the top speed of the vehicle; if there is
more demand, the battery can be completely exhausted, so that this extra torque boost is not available.
Then the system reverts to just the power available from the engine."
http://www.ae.pwr.wroc.pl/filez/20110606092430_HEV_Toyota.pdf

Last edited:
The first gen Prius is a little weird to drive.
Every generation since drives pretty much like any other small car. The Prius just happens to deliver extraordinary fuel economy under most conditions.
These are very roomy little cars and they ride and handle pretty well.
Ignore the battery pack, since it seems to last the life of the car in most cases. The mechanical elements are very simple and durable.
We looked at the Prius twice, first when we bought our '09 Forester and then when we bought our '12 Accord.
For the miles that we typically do these days, around 30K a year between my wife and me, a Prius didn't make that much sense and would not have been a deal at purchase as compared to either the Forester or the Accord.
Still, if I ever take the leap and decide that a long commute (like ninety miles each way) is worth it for a significant promotion, a Prius would be on my short list of vehicles to consider.
Good fuel economy and far more comfortable than the typical small car.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Mykl

$10-$13k range? That Prius is probably gonna need a battery in the next few years. Hope you have $2k-$3k cash to pay for a new one.

"Probably." What is your "probably" based on? Do you have failure rate numbers that show when a 2008-2011 Prius battery is likely to need replacement?

Also, there are businesses local to me, and I assume they exist elsewhere, that will swap out a broken battery with a refurbished one for $800. Even with this considered the car is still a good value.

Today from Kennedy Space Center (Titusville) to Orlando (Winter Park)
IMG_20140628_125037.jpg

IMG_20140628_145353.jpg

Today from Kennedy Space Center (Titusville) to Orlando (Winter Park)
IMG_20140628_125037.jpg

IMG_20140628_145353.jpg

How does it calculate the fuel cost?

*Or is that what you paid? If so, that's about $1 cheaper than here!

Last edited:
You can change the fuel price at anytime but it does prompt you every time you fill up if you want to change it. I think I have $3.50 in there right now, lowest price I saw on gas yesterday was $3.52. It calculates the fuel cost based on the fuel price you put in, mpgs, and miles traveled. You get this screen every time you turn off the car. The return trip was longer and we had more stop and go traffic. We were attempting to check out a new Trader Joe's on the return trip but it was insanely busy so we kept going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back