Rented a Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wouldn't buy one, not only because I'd be one of them Also I wouldn't want to be replacing an expensive battery down the road.

I have lots of miles under my belt in VW TDI's and love their torque, sure they don't typically get 50 mpg and it's costs .25 more per gallon for diesel, but I'm not in one of them

VW people are just another type of "them." "Hipster douche" or "too poor for a BMW."

Maybe get an Altima and be a bad credit race car driver.

To someone(s), I'm a conservative [censored] pickup owner who is murdering the environment and loves doing it. Almost all of us can be labeled as some type of "them," and there is always going to be the group of owners who lives up to the stereotypes.

I actually don't think it's much of an issue with Prius owners as a whole anymore. Maybe when they first came out and people were MAKING A STATEMENT! Now that's it's a mainstream car, it's just a mainstream car, albeit a pretty recognizable one. On average around here, Prius owners are no more offensive than anyone else. If anything, the VW owners are worse on average with their used Passats from the CREDIT DOCTOR!!!, with the Christmas tree dash option, who think it is an M5.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've seen some Priuses take off like rockets on the on-ramp.

Yes. I had a friend my freshman year of college with a Prius. Those electric motors create some good git up n go power.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wouldn't buy one, not only because I'd be one of them Also I wouldn't want to be replacing an expensive battery down the road.

I have lots of miles under my belt in VW TDI's and love their torque, sure they don't typically get 50 mpg and it's costs .25 more per gallon for diesel, but I'm not in one of them

VW people are just another type of "them." "Hipster douche" or "too poor for a BMW."

Maybe get an Altima and be a bad credit race car driver.

To someone(s), I'm a conservative [censored] pickup owner who is murdering the environment and loves doing it. Almost all of us can be labeled as some type of "them," and there is always going to be the group of owners who lives up to the stereotypes.

I actually don't think it's much of an issue with Prius owners as a whole anymore. Maybe when they first came out and people were MAKING A STATEMENT! Now that's it's a mainstream car, it's just a mainstream car, albeit a pretty recognizable one. On average around here, Prius owners are no more offensive than anyone else. If anything, the VW owners are worse on average with their used Passats from the CREDIT DOCTOR!!!, with the Christmas tree dash option, who think it is an M5.

You call VW douches and talk about stereotypes in your next paragraph? So much contradiction!!! And you call yourself a conservative?
spankme2.gif

I think you missed the point of my post, completely.

All vehicles come with an associated stereotype, which often does not describe the majority of owners, and is not a good criteria to follow when choosing the type of vehicle you want to own.

No worries, tongue in cheek doesn't always come across on the internet.

The problem for the "average owner" of any vehicle is that the stereotypical ones are more noticeable, even if they actually make up a minority of owners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Wouldn't own one on a bet. The ROI simply is not there.

Also, I have a hard time getting past the suppository-on-wheels shape.

Giving up my truck (10mpg) to drive my Prius C (50mpg), the ROI was very quick. Two years, 25k miles, $6,600 I did not spend on gas.

Enjoy your reduced quality of life fund...

I have put 45000 miles on my Focus in the 3.5 years I have owned it.

In that time, I have spent ~$4700 in gas.

That 4700 would be > $10,000 if I still had my Cherokee.

I have not broken even yet, but I will at some point in the Focus' life over that of my Cherokee. When I got it, for 10 months, I was traveling 200-300 miles a week and getting reimbursement. Which was nice in "getting ahead" with the car.

Even though I financed it (I know, I know), the gas savings more than make the payment.

I really wish small cars like the Mirage were available when I bought the Focus. Would have

O
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible

Giving up my truck (10mpg) to drive my Prius C (50mpg), the ROI was very quick. Two years, 25k miles, $6,600 I did not spend on gas.

Comparing a Prius to a pickup is, charitably, ridiculous! Comparing it to something REASONABLE, you'll see my point.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
[

I think the same can be said for the drivers of many vehicles. But "attitude" is certainly relative to where you stand on any particular issue. BMW drivers and Jeep/pickup truck drivers are some examples of folks who, around here, seem to have an attitude that is far enough away from mainstream to make them stand out. But that's just relative to my own tastes and feelings. They probably think nothing of it, just as "greenies" feel they're doing the right thing.

I think the attitude is the big thing no matter what you drive though. I'll use the Jeep crowd as an example since I'm familiar with that community.

Many Jeep owners like to go off road and be a part of nature. They go outdoors and even though they own a vehicle that gets 15 mpg, they help clean up trails and have club meets that do volunteer work to preserve nature trails. I consider that more "green" than a guy who just drives a Prius for the "green image". Like I said its all about attitude though. There are plenty of Jeep owners (mainly the younger crowd) who like to lift their vehicles and post videos and pictures of them off-roading in illegal areas and destroying nature, all in an effort to look macho. These guys are the ultimate menace to the Jeep community because they are the ones who get our trails closed and ruin it for the responsible ones.

The same goes for any brand/community though. If there weren't so many diesel truck owners who acted like D-bags, they wouldn't have given the group that label. Obviously not everyone who owns a Prius or diesel truck or BMW acts in a foul manner, but the few that do ruin it for the others. Its actually embarrassing how many times I've had to ask fellow Jeepers to not park on gardens at shopping centers. Just because you own a 4x4 doesn't give you the right to destroy property. Sadly its mostly people my age, and it has more to do with the "me" mentality found in our society than anything else.

Quality of life is right, fill the Prius and three five gallon Eagle gas cans and I'm good for two months of driving or $11.50 a week with $3.85 gas. I needed to haul a few hundred pounds of lumber for the new porch I was putting on the house last month. I went to the local Home Depot and rented one of their trucks for two hours for a total cost of $21.35.

@OP:

Reason why Prius has to have reverse beeping is due to the fact that (a) when backing up, electric motor is silent as a mouse, so it's been advised by those safety boards/councils to have some kind of audible warning device when backing up so that people "aware"; (b) there's so many pedestrians nowadays on iphone+earplugs, from cyclists to even some drivers (although illegal in some states), it's best (IMHO) to have a loud reverse beeper to warn them of oncoming traffic.

Reverse beeper is fairly common in high density city/metro areas esp. in Asian countries.

Q.

The Prius owners that crack me up are the ones that bought it for better MPG in mostly highway driving. They rule inner-city MPG, but do no better than a Camry at highway speeds. I have a friend who bought one and regularly drives it between Denver and Fort Collins. He's not exactly overwhelmed with the mileage and realizes now he could've just bought a 4-cylinder Camry.

Originally Posted By: Quest
@OP:

Reason why Prius has to have reverse beeping is due to the fact that (a) when backing up, electric motor is silent as a mouse, so it's been advised by those safety boards/councils to have some kind of audible warning device when backing up so that people "aware"; (b) there's so many pedestrians nowadays on iphone+earplugs, from cyclists to even some drivers (although illegal in some states), it's best (IMHO) to have a loud reverse beeper to warn them of oncoming traffic.

Reverse beeper is fairly common in high density city/metro areas esp. in Asian countries.

Q.

The one I rented a few years ago beeped inside the car, not outside. As the driver, I am well aware the car is in reverse! I couldn't understand the logic behind that one.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
@OP:

Q.

The one I rented a few years ago beeped inside the car, not outside. As the driver, I am well aware the car is in reverse! I couldn't understand the logic behind that one.

In my experience, a lot of Prius drivers have no idea what they are doing.

They just "are" is the best way to put it. They have no idea they are in a car. They have no idea they are in motion. They don't know where they are going.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
@OP:

Q.

Good to know. Thx.

Q.

O
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible

Comparing a Prius to a pickup is, charitably, ridiculous! Comparing it to something REASONABLE, you'll see my point.

Why would it be ridiculous? It's what I did. It may not fit with your world view, but I can live with that. Real life doesn't always fit with preconceived notions...

Compare a Prius to something reasonable (say, a Focus, Civic, or Corolla) and the ROI isn't there. I could compare my Dakota to a new Prius & show how much more the Prius costs...but that would be equally ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I think the attitude is the big thing no matter what you drive though.

Exactly...which is why it's probably not even worth mentioning. One can find all sorts of "attitudes" with every type of vehicle, and one is probably about as accurate in characterizing the person who drives a vehicle by that vehicle as one would be calling out the number of hairs on my head.

Although, as I age, that gets easier and easier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back