Removing Tire From Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a good how-to?

Bought a used snow thrower from a neighbor. The tires are dry-rotted and have tubes. One tire keeps going flat. I'd like to change both tires and not use tubes if possible.

How do I get the tires off the wheels?

Are there tubeless tires available?

image_13749.jpg

Pry them off with a tire iron. A screwdriver doesn't have enough surface area and will nick the bead. You could also try a pair of butter knives on a small tire but you can bend the knives.

The trick is that 180 degrees away on the rim you have to stuff the bead down into a v-shaped void in the rim to get enough slack to get the top side of the bead over. The tightest/tricky spot is when you have about 90 degrees of bead folded over the rim.

You likely already have tubeless tires. If your rims are screwed up you might be able to refit a tube.

Tire shops will mount carry-in OPE tires for you too. At least most will in my area. Some even carry snowblower/OPE tires or can get them for you quickly.

First battle on an old snowblower is getting the rims off the axle. Lots of people don't think to throw some grease on the axle stubs from time to time and the wheels rust in place.

Joel

Last edited:
"Real" snowblowers wheels are bolted onto a flange,like a car.4 tapered trailer bolts and off they come.Tire tires are mounted to wheel like a trailer/car tire,the bead has to be rolled on/off the rim.It helps to have one of those vertical post manual tire changers.

If the wheel has a small diameter hub, put some sort of rod through it and clamp the rod in your shop vise. That holds the wheel and give you something to work against. They're a (fill in the blank).

Discount Tire will sometimes dismount a tire and remount it for free if you are nice. They did a riding mower for me. They Put a tube in free
I would go to TSC in New Hudson. Go online and check the sizes. They will have what you need.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/
They also match prices if you find it cheaper online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back