Removing and prepping - old paper gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
We honestly need a gasket and sealant video. There are applications where a glue is rolled (like paint) onto the surfaces as in my Volvo 5 cylinder aluminum engine.

There are new techniques and new products as well as old ones.

Also, how about Permatex grey for differential covers...run a bead, wait 10 minutes THEN put the cover in place. I did OK but were there steps to tightening the cover bolts?

We need education. Kira

I suspect those stamped sheet metal pans/covers are now an "old car" thing, with newer designs using cast parts that can't flex. The sheet metal type will always leak eventually, and those would be the only kind of parts I'd use any kind of sealer on besides the gasket itself.

I think I would have used a high temp, oil resistant RTV silicon for engine parts on the gasket instead of the Indian Head sealant. In my experience, silicon seems to seal better and last a lot longer.

The problem with that idea is that the silicone doesn't bond to the paper gasket. It really is a stand alone gasket substitute.

That's true with RTV you basically now have 3 gaskets. The gasket is the seal the shellac just permeates the paper slightly making it less prone to saturation and it helps prevent gasket squeeze out.
I was never a fan of RTV, I buy the smallest tube needed for the job I'm doing that specs its use. My go to products are Indian Head, High Tack, Aviation form a gasket, Anaerobic gel and Hylomar.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I've always used some form of sealant with a paper gasket.

That doesn't make it correct!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Theoretically, it'll prevent what OP had to deal with.

How often do plan to remove the oil pan or other gasketed parts? How old is the Z? How old is the OP's 240D? Sounds like the gaskets are doing their job if they're hard to remove...

Define correct or incorrect roofless. If YOU don't like it, is it incorrect? To me, if I've had zero issues, I'd consider that a correct action.

The car is a 1971. No idea if the gasket was original and no idea if it'll have to come back off anytime soon. It's not leaking so it must be correct right?

*Your gasket analogy is incorrect by the way. Oil filter gaskets do their job and are easy to remove.

Last edited:
As in many other professions there are many ways to get the job done successfully. I am old school so in over 4 decades I have a pretty good idea whats working for me and what isn't. If whatever you do or use works well for you dont try to fix what aint broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back