Reman CV Axle Shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed Cadone Select axles on my 2004 Odyssey; they were fairly inexpensive for new axles (not re-manufactured) and seem to perform well.

Last edited:
Sorry to drag up an old thread. I am in the middle of a CV issue. My mechanic replaced the factory ones with SurTrack (O'Reilly's Import Direct). Job was done less than 2 weeks ago. These things are JUNK.

I've done a bunch of reading and there is no clear cut winner but the Cardone brands seem to be working the best. Are the new Cardone Select shafts made in China? Right now I'm tempted to request the reman ones vs new. My thinking is the reman ones would have at least been rebuilt in North America. I know reman involves grinding which impacts wear. Any opinions?

Raxles is not an option since they do not have them for my car.

All input and opionis are welcome.

If you are buying them for your Camry, the Toyota remanufactured axles can be very reasonable.

Originally Posted By: Big Smoke
Sorry to drag up an old thread. I am in the middle of a CV issue. My mechanic replaced the factory ones with SurTrack (O'Reilly's Import Direct). Job was done less than 2 weeks ago. These things are JUNK.

I've done a bunch of reading and there is no clear cut winner but the Cardone brands seem to be working the best. Are the new Cardone Select shafts made in China? Right now I'm tempted to request the reman ones vs new. My thinking is the reman ones would have at least been rebuilt in North America. I know reman involves grinding which impacts wear. Any opinions?

Raxles is not an option since they do not have them for my car.

All input and opionis are welcome.

I rebooted my axles 5 years ago, drivers side is still like new and an OEM joint. The passengers side was already making noise when I rebooted it, so I replaced with NEW APWI from Rockauto for $57.00 shipped. The APWI axle has been on for over a year and 10,000+ miles with now problems.

http://forums.maxima.org/general-maxima-discussion/662967-rockauto-apwi-axle-quality.html

An OEM axle with a new boot is ALWAYS better than a reman or new parts house axle, as long as you catch it before damage is done.

OAN, If we expect CV Boots to be waranteed, then should wiper blades, and brake shoes be also? If more people would inspect their cars more often and catch small problems like split boots, then CV joints would not go bad. CV boots get visible cracks long before splitting open, so there is plenty of warning.

Bad CV joints are the result of poor maintenance and neglect. A little preventative maintenance here will keep OEM axles in your car for a very long time.

Yes this is for the Camry. I've found them for $178 each for Toyota ones.

asand1, The car has 200k on it. I understand maintenance practices. In this case, a garage effectively screwed me over. I brought the car in for some clicking coming from the front. They had just done a caliper / brake job on the car a month prior so I figured it was related to that. I normally do most of my own work but in this case I had a business trip coming up in 2 days and I just needed the job done. Same thing happened with the clicking, took the car in 2 days before another business trip. Anyway, they insisted it was CV joints. I OK'ed the job along with stabilizer links. Well guess what - the clicking I brought it in for is still present. I got the car back late in the day and was leaving early the next morning. It felt OK for the first 50 miles then it started shaking badly upon acceleration. I continued on the trip and make it back OK. Brought the car back this afternoon and voiced my displeasure.

It is a well known shop with a reputation to up hold. I'm fairly sure they will do the right thing and were eager to do whatever I asked. I'm making the call on what goes in next. I am going to push them for Toyota ones and see what they say. Otherwise, I need a fall back. Unfortunately my original ones are long gone so I need to move on from here.

Ericthecarguy said that if its not clicking while going forward, then the joint is not so bad. The job can wait. When it clicks in a straight line, then it's time. Not sure how true that is.

I just found a split boot on my Jetta, and OEM is $500. I'm tempted to buy the cheapest reman and put in, and try to replace the boot in my sore time. When the reman gives up, swap in the old axle, assuming it wasn't toast. And assuming I can get the old one out.

VW boots are among the easiest to do, a simple and very easy job.
I will be doing a double boot replacement on a New Beetle soon if it will help you i can do a little pictorial and post it.
I just hate doing it if no one is really interested in doing repairs on VW cars as it makes a very quick job (45 min for me to do both inner and outer) longer with all the hand washing in between steps.
With all the haters on the board i am surprised anyone even owns one.
lol.gif

VW sells outer joints in a kit including the boot, grease, and clamps. Installed plenty when I worked at the dealership. Don't remember ever doing a n inner though.

Do a lot of inner ones in Germany and on this bug the right inner is split slightly, not bad because its behind a shield but it wont take long before it becomes a real problem.
The aftermarket from Pirelli, Rockford Duraboot, etc rarely ever fail again which leads me to believe it might be a supplier/material issue.

Originally Posted By: asand1
VW sells outer joints in a kit including the boot, grease, and clamps. Installed plenty when I worked at the dealership. Don't remember ever doing a n inner though.

That is true, also some parts companies that specialize in European cars will sell 1 outer or 1 inner CV joint instead of a whole axle. I saw this when I was researching Winnebago Rialta and Vista RV's.

I've got to read up on it first, see the Bentley, see the online stuff. Maybe I will buy the boot this week and the tools and see if I can tackle it next weekend.

There was a place here in Pasadena called AXT axles who remanufactured CV axles and they would replace the whole eaxles for $50 each -- parts and labor included. I recently noticed that the inside of my left outer CV boot was torn. I tried to contact the shop but I felt so bad when I found out that they had gone out of business!

It looks like the axle business got so competitive and you can get remanufactured axles for $45 at O'Reilly these days. That's probably why they went out of business. Unfortunately labor probably costs a lot more.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
I've replaced axles on both a VW and an Audi. Both times I started with the reman units. Both times, I got [censored] rebuilds and had to pull one or both of them and use the warrenty to try again. On my latest go-around I used Raxles, and got MUCH better units right from the start, that worked perfectly.

Its my suggestion to go right to raxles, and swap the entire axle. It will show up at your door. Pull the old, slide in teh new, send back the old in the packaging they supply...done.

VW/Audi axles appear to be higher quality than what you get when you get a rebuild. I will steer clear from rebuilds on CV axles from now on. OEM or raxles...

I like Raxles, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back