Reliable Tire Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a buick that had digital gauges.......I hated it. The gauges weren't even close to being accurate. It read full on the gas gauge until it got to about 1/2 tank, and then it went down fast. The tach and pressure gauges fluctuated constantly.
banghead.gif

cangreylegend - you make a good point on the term *gauge*. For the amount of $$ that I paid for this though, it should not be giving me the issues I am experiancing. They even had some gauges that were $200+. Design wise, it had more fetures like memory and such but I don't think the head of the gauge would be different. I wonder if that one is as finicky as the one I have right now. I even sent my gauge in to Longacre thinking it was flawed and they sent it back to me with a note telling me it's just fine.

chef, the digital gave I have from Sears works fine. Heck, if I can teach my 17 year old to use it, and my wife no less, anyone can use it.

I've foune the trick is to let no air excape when you take the reading. If you hear air, you'll have to do it again.

I suppose if air is escaping then it is getting different readings, and doesn't know which one to go with. The dial type and plunger type would record the highest reading by design.

I've never messed with digital or dial tire pressure gauges. I have two pencil-type Milton brand tire guages, read up to 50 psi. One is over 15 years old, maybe 20 years old, the other is a year or two newer. I don't know which one is which, they're both consistent as can be, they read about 1 psi difference between each other at the pressures I use, the same one always reads 1 psi lower. I'm happy with them, see no need to change, & recommend a good quality pencil type gauge for most passenger car use. They are kinda limited on the "cool factor", though.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by chefwong:
Just a little rant. So I decied to step up to a digital tire gauge as I've heard the accuracy is dead-on on these types of guages. *-*-*-

I did too, and they are rounded off (most) IMO it is better and FASTER to use the Dial gauge.
Buy a good one and it will last for years.

I have an Accutire gauge I got for Christmas a few years ago, I don't like it! It's rather difficult to use, if you have hit it spot on for it to read. It's annoying. I've since put it on the shelf and went back to my trusty dial gauge.
cool.gif

Try the 'analog' dial gauge as found at Harbor Ft Tools. Only 5.99. It holds the pressure reading until you hit the reset button. Accurate to 1/2 pound and easy to read and take a reading. You do need to push on the valve stem squarely, but it is not that finicky as your digital gauge. Comes in a plastic carrying case.

Just a little rant. So I decied to step up to a digital tire gauge as I've heard the accuracy is dead-on on these types of guages. Picked up a Longacre Digital Tire Gauge - pricey ! The first time I tried reading the tire pressure , it must have took me 15 minutes to read 4 tires. The 2nd time, I just gave up . I just tried again (praying it wasn't just me) but I was only able to read 1 out of the 4 tires.

This thing is SOOOO finicky. It's as if the head is not dead on the money spot, it's going to read 0 PSI. I tried tweaking the position of it, etc and it still would not read.

Is it just me....or has anyone else experianced the pain I'm going through with digital tire gauges. My old Messko has done the job for me for years....

The AccuTire digital gauge that I got from Target has been working great for me. I think it was around $12. It has a 5 year warranty, IIRC.

I just yesterday replaced a long time dial type tire gauge
frown.gif
(looks like a big pocket watch with a chimney). I thought it would last forever, but I guess it could not withstand my college aged daughter's use
dunno.gif
So I went to WalMart and picked up a dial type by Victor @ 7.86.(same type, looks like a big pocket watch with a chimney) It also has a stop/bleeder valve. It is handy for remembering the pressure you just took till you reset it and can air down if you are too high. I compared it not 20 min ago with a more expensive digital and it is DEAD on! (36.5 psi vs 36.5 psi)

I have had the digital a long time and I must say while accurate, it is much harder to use. There are plenty of times I inadvertently let the right amount of air out of the tires due to not getting the seal JUST RIGHT. I think I am also going to hate what the battery on the digital is going to cost when it goes dead
frown.gif

[ October 26, 2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

To me the idea of a "gauge" is analogue. You get a feel for where you are relative to where it should be. "Gauging it" is somewhat descriptive.
What if you had a fuel "gauge" that was digital? You'd go nuts!, same with temperature gauge.

Digital readouts, are really readings and not appropriate for many things. Enuff rant.

I had the same problem, I returned the digital gauge as it hindered the process. I always get the gauges where you can reset and release air with the button. So when inflating, I always overinflate and release the air to get the exact pressure I want.

My personal favorites are made my G.H. Meiser & Co. Accu-Gage is their trademark. I have several analog (owned one for 35 years) and digital (including a talking digital) gauges and have been pleased with their function.
On a couple of occasions I have visited them when there were issues with a gauge, and they have always repaired it while I waited, and at no charge.
In one case the lens was pushed down and hit the dial - not their fault - they fixed it and checked the calibration. In another case one of the gauges with a press to release the pressure feature failed to hold the pressure. At their office they took the gauge apart in front of me (no tools needed) and there was a small burr of brass stuck in the valve. They checked the calibration while I was there. I felt a little foolish for not having taken it apart myself. Their people just smiled and thanked me for using their products.
This is a company with an old fashioned sense of values. Not too common now days.
And no, I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in this firm. I know no one who works there. They just have impressed the dickens out of me.
Search on-line for their name, or search for getagage. They are also available at Sears and AutoZone, and I am sure some other retail stores.

Try dripping a drop of water on the rubber o-ring seal, to get it to swell a bit. Makes my gauges work better.

A loogie qualifies.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back