How can you possibly trust your tire gauge?

I bought a Milton after having some other cheaper pencil gauges and its still around 4 psi off from what my trucks TPMS says.. Maybe I need to try another.
The TPMS isn’t very accurate. My F-150 TPMS is constantly 4psi higher than both of my dial gauges.

Through the last 20 years, there are two items that come to mind, that often folks won't spend the money on, but for whatever reason, they'll stew over how to do the job without the correct tool. Yet they'll spend $250 on a Snap On this a magig, that they'll never use.

The two items are a battery load tester, and a tire pressure gauge (figure out 101 non-scientific ways to determine if a battery needs replacement it's truly comical).

I have 3 of these, all purchased when there was a price drop, to $18. $18 is a lot of money for a tire pressure gauge, but suffice it to say, they are totally accurate. I calibrate them against one another, and at least 5 different Nitrogen inflation machines at Costco. Also, if I set my tires to be exactly the same, 3 weeks later, they may be a different pressure because the temp is different, but they are all within about 0.1 of each other.

Yes because I built it. I stuck a 2 inch 0-100psi McDaniels controls liquid filled gauge on the end of a tire filler.
My gauge, digital tire filter, my cars tpms are all within 1psi of each other. It's probably good.

Over the years I wound up with a collection of the pencil gauges. I think in response to a thread here a few years ago about the accuracy of these things (gee, is anything new under the sun?) I went and checked all of them. I had a car tire that was inflated to like 30psi that I figured would maintain the same pressure no matter how many of these things I checked. I might not find an absolute measurement but I could gauge them against each other (no pun intended).

Found they were all over the place. I threw out all but the ones closest to each other.

Recently I picked up a Makita tire inflator which has a digital readout. Then I threw out all my other pressure gauges and now have just this one gauge. Now that I am down to but one gauge, I know precisely what my tire pressure is--and I refuse to check it against anything else. Therefore it is correct.

No Xanax needed.

Over the years I wound up with a collection of the pencil gauges. I think in response to a thread here a few years ago about the accuracy of these things (gee, is anything new under the sun?) I went and checked all of them. I had a car tire that was inflated to like 30psi that I figured would maintain the same pressure no matter how many of these things I checked. I might not find an absolute measurement but I could gauge them against each other (no pun intended).

Found they were all over the place. I threw out all but the ones closest to each other.

Recently I picked up a Makita tire inflator which has a digital readout. Then I threw out all my other pressure gauges and now have just this one gauge. Now that I am down to but one gauge, I know precisely what my tire pressure is--and I refuse to check it against anything else. Therefore it is correct.

No Xanax needed.
That's what I did. Threw out all the old ones and got a digital Slime one and it's spot on every time!

Back in the day,I did business at a Goodyear Truck Tire Dealer that I trusted,they had a calibrated guage you could compare yours to theirs.They made all techs compare the one they used to the calibrated one so everyone was on the same page.Seems to be a reasonable approach.The last time I was at the VW stealership getting my car serviced,I took two guages and had them compared to the one he used,within '1' which I thought was acceptable. I don't know,but I would think they have a calibrated one also,as it seems to me a good policy.I will ask next time

Have found this to be a good gauge. Have 3, 1 in my logging truck, F150, and tool box.

Screenshot_20231218-214950_Firefox.jpg

Our Meyer’s rep used to drop off a box of pencil gauges when he was restocking out patches, weights and valve stems. Idk who made them but they were labeled USA made. I’d just occasionally check mine against the Hunter balancer which had a digital gauge that the calibration was checked on.

I probably still have 2 maybe 3 of those gauges in use. In the time I’ve had them I’ve thrown out a lot of cheap “labeled” gauges for being inaccurate. The type that said Slime, AutoZone or Ford on them and were usually involved in some sort of giveaway.

Back