Redline 5/30 Street Oil VOA Jan-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I think my friend/tuner was just taking into consideration the 26psi of boost getting jammed into my cylinders to why "he" feels that the 20/50 is needed. Stock Runs 21-22psi at WOT, mine is 26-27 at WOT.

But was he taking RL's HTHS viscosity into consideration?

I could be wrong, but I think this is simply a case of the friend/tuner being very set in his ways, and when someone tries something different, his immediate reaction is to scream "No way!"

I agree with you here. I did mention the HTHS of Redline and to be honest I don't think many tuners or even engine builders these days really understand what that means.

Allot of pride happens in the tuning world just like anywhere else. Im just trying to base my stuff on fact and not mythology that worked in the 60's. Cars have come a long way since then.

I just got this response by email today by a very respected company called XTREME in the UK. They used to be called "Ralliart" not sure if any of you folks have heard of Ralliart but they primarily were the racing end for Mitsubishi in the Rally Days. They are probably the most experienced Evo Tuners on the Planet. PERIOD! Here is a reply I got from them about using the 5/30 Redline in my Evo. I did mention in my initial email all my mods. You guys tell me what you think of the reply:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your email.

With the 4G63 engine, we have always used Castrol RS and now Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 fully synthetic oil, in the Castrol recommendation guide, they list 0w30 fully synthetic.

I don’t think you would have any issues running the Redline 5w30, but wouldn’t advise the 20w50 option.

I know that ambient temperature will also be a factor and we’re not graced with your temperatures over here, but I don’t think your doing anything wrong with the oil you’re using.

The Evolution X 4B11 engine uses 5w30 fully synthetic as recommended by Mitsubishi.
Regards,
Simon Grove | Xtreme UK Ltd | Aftersales Director | T: 01384 880680The Old Forge Estate
Dudley Road
Stourbridge
DY9 8EL

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you, but Xtreme is not, and has never been, Ralliart. Ralliart is the motorsports arm of Mitsubishi Motors Corp and is still alive and kicking, albeit limited due to the economy... THE WORLD OF RALLIART

You are incorrect. I should have re worded how I put it. Ralliart has Departments through out the World. Mainly in Rally Areas. The Ralliart Site in the UK was called "Ralliart UK" since Mitsubishi does not WRC no longer, and has dropped out of sponsorship in the EVO Lancer Class, Ralliart UK switched its name to "Extreme". They still build Rally Cars but for private ventures. Just not Sponsored by Mitsubishi any longer. Mitsubishi has not participated in WRC events since 2005. But they are still active in the Dakar Rallies in Africa.

Sorry for the confusion. Hope that clarifies things.

Here is a link to their site so you can read up on their history. Extreme was "Ralliart UK" I have been fallowing them for over 10 years.

http://www.xtreme-uk.net/evo-zone/

Jeff

Last edited:
I'm not trying to start a whizzing match, but...

Originally Posted By: Xtreme
As you may know we started Importing Evo’s from Japan in 1995, subsequently forming Ralliart UK in 1999 till 2002 when we sold the name back to Mitsubishi UK...

They were independent ("gray market") importers who trademarked the name "Ralliart UK", in the UK. Mitsubishi finally decided to buy the trademark in order to bring the name in-house and aligned with the rest of the MMC organization. They were never part of Mitsubishi Motors. After all, why would they have to sell their own name back to themselves?

If you don't believe me, ask them if they are (or have ever been) part of the Mitsubishi Motor Corporation. They may know their stuff, but don't delude yourself into believing that they're more than what they are.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
I'm not trying to start a whizzing match, but...

Originally Posted By: Xtreme
As you may know we started Importing Evo’s from Japan in 1995, subsequently forming Ralliart UK in 1999 till 2002 when we sold the name back to Mitsubishi UK...

They were independent ("gray market") importers who trademarked the name "Ralliart UK", in the UK. Mitsubishi finally decided to buy the trademark in order to bring the name in-house and aligned with the rest of the MMC organization. They were never part of Mitsubishi Motors. After all, why would they have to sell their own name back to themselves?

If you don't believe me, ask them if they are (or have ever been) part of the Mitsubishi Motor Corporation. They may know their stuff, but don't delude yourself into believing that they're more than what they are.

That is correct, they never were "affiliated" with Mits, they always were an importer of the Rally cars for Europe. I apologize if I made it seem that they "started Ralliart" that is not true. Of course Ralliart was originated by Mitsubishi. I guess I just over simplified it for the folks here that have no idea who Ralliart is, thats all.

How you stated it, is true and easier to understand. Either way, they as "Ralliart" Dealer I should say then, know the Evo Better than ANYONE. Hence back to my origianl comment.

Thank You for the clarification. No war on this at all, its irrelevant to the post. I should have said "They were the only Evo importer named Ralliart UK" Just thought going into too much detail would cofuse people that are not Mitsubishi fans.

But I am a Fan!!
banana2.gif

Jeff

No sweat, I know what you mean...

Notice the list of vehicles in my sig, particularly the one in Mitsubishi red?

So far so good on the Redline 5/30 no complaints. Will be a few months till I get the 3K UOA done.

I would like to mention I am trying out the Redline MT-85 Gear oil in my Transmission. So far I like it allot.

MT-85 is a GL-4, 75/85 Gear oil, and I must say its quite good.

Jeff

Remember, the 10W-60 Castrol product he mentioned is being used in highly modified rally cars, which yours is not. As he said in his email, the Red Line 5W-30 will serve you well. Better so than the 20W-50.

I agree Johnny, and besides look at my oil temps driving around town. I warn you of the terrible photo. My Blackberry takes bad pictures, but you get the idea. Why on earth would I use a 50w oil with these oils temps. This is in 80F weather. In the summer where its over 120 I see around 90C, pushing hard hits 100C. The Evo has a huge OEM oil cooler with direct airflow in its design from the Factory. The car was meant for racing in mind. Anyway. I think this 5/30 Redline is the shizzle. Also, it has the highest flashpoint of any other street Redline oil. I didn't know that, haha. Its flashpoint is 486F
crazy2.gif

evotemp1-22-11.jpg

Jeff

Here is one Johnny

myevo2.jpg

And My Engine Bay

MiscPictures086.jpg

And her on the Dyno made 320awhp/315awtq (Mustang Load Bearing Dyno) on 91 CA Pump Gas

MyEvo109.jpg

Most fun I have ever had in a car was in an Evo. Plus I have space for my 2 kids and lugage to boot. Gotta Love it
smile.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Redline "Moly Plates"? Seems that is RP claim to fame is that they "Moly Plate" and by doing so creates a super smooth surface. Anyway, just curious about that. Since Redline has more Moly in their oil than RP does it would make sense that it would, but Redline doesn't advertise it (which is a good thing about Redline). I was just curiuos about it either way. I will eamil Dave at Redline too and see what he says.

Jeff

Nice to see car actually 'prove' what it's got - not just some guy saying "yeah, my cars pretty trick, yo - it's puts out like 400 horsepower and can totally destroy 'vette's!"

:p

That's a good looking little hotrod. Wouldn't be much good in the winter where I'm at, but I could have a lot of fun with that during the summer.

Looking good Jeff! Well I don't know how bad the winters are up there but my VIII handles anything Reno weather can throw at it. The AWD + Snow Tires gives me perfect traction while other SUVs and 4x4s are spinning out or getting stuck.

Hey Jeff if you don't mind me asking, what sort of UICP are you running there? Looks real nice. Granted you don't get any real gains changing the UICP but still thinking about swapping my stock pipes out cause they're looking kind of ugly haha(both UICP and LICP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back