Redline 5/30 Street Oil VOA Jan-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
RL 5W-30 has a HTHS viscosity on par with most synthetic 40-weights, certainly quite a bit higher than any 10W-30 Mitsu had in mind when they wrote the owners manual, so you're just fine with that oil. Determining whether or not 5W-40 would be "better" for you would involve trending with both, so you'll have to get data with the 5W-30 first to make that determination anyway.

Yeah, Mitsubishi recommends 10/30 M1. That has a HTHS of 3.2 the 5/30 Redline is 3.8 so I figure I was good. Plus Dave has a good rep on this site, so I figured I would go with what he recommends.

The guy with the link to the 300z that fried his bearings kinda freaked me out. Then again, on that link, it was most likely the oil that wasn't the culprit, but still.

On paper the Redline 5/30 should be fine for my application.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
...Determining whether or not 5W-40 would be "better" for you would involve trending with both, so you'll have to get data with the 5W-30 first to make that determination anyway.
+1

RL 5W-30 has a HTHS viscosity on par with most synthetic 40-weights, certainly quite a bit higher than any 10W-30 Mitsu had in mind when they wrote the owners manual, so you're just fine with that oil. Determining whether or not 5W-40 would be "better" for you would involve trending with both, so you'll have to get data with the 5W-30 first to make that determination anyway.

Couldn't agree more.

Making recommendations or just talking generically about oil grades can be very misleading indeed.

Here is the deal guys, and this is where I get so confused. More like, who to believe with me stuck in the middle.

I called my Friend/Tuner that has been working on my car for the past 3 1/2 years with part installations, tuning, etc and I told him I am trying out the Redline 5/30 in my car. He just about dropped the phone. "WHAT"!!! he said. I said yeah, I'm giving it a shot to see how the car likes it. He told me I was making a mistake and he TOTALLY disagreed with me over the viscosity for the my car. I told him, hey im running a stock block and turbo, you know that, so what gives? His final answer was this. Jeff Run 10/40 in the winter, and 20/50 in the summer. When I asked him to why he said "Jeff you asked what I said you should use and Im telling you" and that was that. He likes Royal Purple and has been using it for years in his race car and DD Evo. He runs 20/50 RP year round in his Evo (mind you we are in Southern California) but he would not tell me why I needed a 50w oil.

Now this guy builds Evo's and knows them like the back of his hand and this is what he is telling me.

Then I have Dave at Redline telling me the 5/30 should be fine of which, that is what I bought and am using in the car at this moment.

Then Mitsubishi recommends the 10/30 synthetic.

So who do you go with? I mean, wow, this is crazy. Im just trying to put the right oil in the car you know? Now yes, I am running 5-6psi at WOT more than stock, Yes I have race cams and very stiff Crower springs in the valvetrain, and I am running some decent 750cc injectors and have all the intake and exhaust and such upgraded for max flow. So that justifies the 50w oil? Dang, I am at a total loss here. Not sure what to do.
27.gif

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd502/jeffs2006evoix/MyEvo109.jpg[/IMG]]My Evo

The basic reason someone would need a thicker oil is if the oil gets hotter than normal. If you're not racing or tracking your vehicle quite often, your oil is not getting too hot and you're fine. The RL 5W-30 is a stout oil and will do fine in your rig the way you drive it.

This was Dave's Reply:

Jeff,

I guess he hasn’t seen any issues with the 5W30 in the Evo? Apparently figuring higher viscosity is better. With our product that certainly isn’t necessary and a lower viscosity can be used with good results.
In your engine with stock internal clearances for all around use the 5W30 should be a very good viscosity, not sacrificing any protection over other oils of higher viscosity, while providing various benefits including quicker spool up.
I can’t tell you what to do but I wouldn’t be concerned with the 5W30 in your engine.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

I personally would do what Dave recommends and prove your tuner wrong.

Thick oil is not the answer to everything and neither is Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Agreed, and apart from your tuner it looks like you're liking this oil quite a bit. Heck, like you said you're running a stock block and stock turbo...not a built 2.4L block with a GT35R turbo. This was his recommendation for my Evo VIII as well and I intend on using it. Still looking forward to your future findings!

Redline knows racing, I'd listen to Dave. Redline's oils are extremely shear stable.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it. I am putting my faith in Dave and in Redline with my Evo. My gutt feeling is the Redline will be fine, if not the better oil for my particualr application. When summer rolls in, I will keep an eye on oil temps, I will also try to get some data logs in that provides allot more info for me.

I really appreciate the support
thumbsup2.gif

I think you will find the 5W-30 will be just fine in the summer also.

I know for a fact these guys use the 5W-30 in the spring and fall. They use the straight weight oils during the summer. Their demands are a lot greater than yours.

REALTIME RACING

I think my friend/tuner was just taking into consideration the 26psi of boost getting jammed into my cylinders to why "he" feels that the 20/50 is needed. Stock Runs 21-22psi at WOT, mine is 26-27 at WOT.

I still feel the 5/30 Redline is up to the tast. It seems the folks here too agree
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Agreed on all points

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I think my friend/tuner was just taking into consideration the 26psi of boost getting jammed into my cylinders to why "he" feels that the 20/50 is needed. Stock Runs 21-22psi at WOT, mine is 26-27 at WOT.

But was he taking RL's HTHS viscosity into consideration?

But was he taking RL's HTHS viscosity into consideration?

I could be wrong, but I think this is simply a case of the friend/tuner being very set in his ways, and when someone tries something different, his immediate reaction is to scream "No way!"

Originally Posted By: spasm3
A lot of moly and zinc in that oil!

Remember moly has an atomic weight of 96. Boron, for instance is 10.
Delvac 1 SHC (just as an example) has 235ppm boron. That is about 3 times as many moles of boron as the Redline has moly.

Charlie

Redline 5w-30 sounds like a good oil for your car. Im surprised nobody on here has suggested a oil like Rotella T6 5w-40. It is a very stout diesel turbo approved oil that will take anything your evo can throw at it. I think it would satisfy your tuners insistence on a thicker oil , while giving you all the performance and protection you want. A good friend of mine has a tuned STi with similar modifications you have made to your EVO , he runs 5w-40 rotella year round and it has performed great for him. While he does not see SoCal conditions he does deal with D.C traffic and wintry mix as well as humid summers, as well as his own track days and never switches oil and has had very nice uoa's. I think this is a oil you should look into for your evo , Rotella is a great oil made by SOPUS so you know you can trust it. Personally I dont want to sound like a RP basher ,however their lack of willingness to divulge certain aspect's of their products steers me away from them. In my opinion stay with a trusted product like SOPUS,Mobil or Redline i.e companies that are willing to tell you about their oils with facts not just build them up with hype.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it. I am putting my faith in Dave and in Redline with my Evo. My gutt feeling is the Redline will be fine, if not the better oil for my particualr application. When summer rolls in, I will keep an eye on oil temps, I will also try to get some data logs in that provides allot more info for me.

I really appreciate the support
thumbsup2.gif

Knowing your oil temp's is great but it is not the bottom line, oil pressure is. You should have a minimum OP value at elevated rev's in mind. I would ask your tuner friend what minimum OP readings he'd recommend. If he knows his stuff he should know this.

Originally Posted By: Thax
Redline 5w-30 sounds like a good oil for your car. Im surprised nobody on here has suggested a oil like Rotella T6 5w-40. It is a very stout diesel turbo approved oil that will take anything your evo can throw at it. I think it would satisfy your tuners insistence on a thicker oil , while giving you all the performance and protection you want. A good friend of mine has a tuned STi with similar modifications you have made to your EVO , he runs 5w-40 rotella year round and it has performed great for him. While he does not see SoCal conditions he does deal with D.C traffic and wintry mix as well as humid summers, as well as his own track days and never switches oil and has had very nice uoa's. I think this is a oil you should look into for your evo , Rotella is a great oil made by SOPUS so you know you can trust it. Personally I dont want to sound like a RP basher ,however their lack of willingness to divulge certain aspect's of their products steers me away from them. In my opinion stay with a trusted product like SOPUS,Mobil or Redline i.e companies that are willing to tell you about their oils with facts not just build them up with hype.

Thank You for the suggestion, but I have read many good, and bad things about Shell Rotella. I don't really place that oil alongside Redline. I personally feel Redline is in a league all their own here in the USA. Motul pretty much is its competitor in my book and they are European, and have their market share their. I like how Redline is also a USA company right here in California. Granted they don't get the oil from here most likely, but at least American Jobs are had mixing it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back