Redline 10w30 Last for 18k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am new to this forum. There are bunch of great info from you great guys here.
I'm driving a Kia Picanto, which is not available in US, 1.1l gasoline engine.
I have the engine break in after 2 mineral oil change at 5000km and 10000km (sorry guys, I'm using metric here). At 10000km oil change I poured in Redline full synthetic 10W30 and mow my odo reads 17500km. According to Redline website, it claims that their engine oil can last for 18k miles, which is about 30000km. Till now I have used the oiil for about 7500km, 80% city drive and 20% freeway non stop constant at about 4k RPM, 4hrs drive for every long distance trip. I've checked the dip stick, the oil seems to have a lot of black particles.
My concern is, should I do an oil change before going for another long distance trip or can I still continue to drive till 30000km before the next oil change?

Thanks for your help guys.
ooo.gif

Ask Redline your question http://redlineoil.com/contact.asp , see what they say and let us know.

Their site says "How often should I change my Red Line oil?

It depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of city driving or low speed/low frequency driving, we recommend oil changes at 7500 miles. Vehicles that see more highway driving can go a maximum of 15,000 to 18,000 miles with an oil filter change in between. Modern filter technology and the latest, clean-burning fuels have reduced the solids that contaminate oil, so frequent filter changes aren't usually necessary. "
Sounds like you do mostly city driving so the 7500 mile limit might apply. Or have an oil analysis done. I'm not sure Redline offers a warranty for extended oil change intervals. When in doubt, change it out.

And
welcome.gif
to BITOG half way around the world!

I would keep it to a max of 10K. Redline (if my memory serves me correctly) says max of 12K. I would cut your Oil change mileage to half of what your proposing.

Change that oil before your trip....

I have used Redline for many years with great results.

If you have only gone 7500 km then you should be fine for another 5000 - 7500km. [ As long as your engine is healthy and has not ingested too much dust though the air filter.]

Redline holds up really well at high rpms and high temps.

Whether the oil is black on the dipstick usually depends on the engine. In my VW Passat VR-6 it turned black very quickly, in my BMW 325es it stays clear for a very long time.

It is very hard for someone to judge the oil over the internet, but in general Redline holds up very well for 12000 to 16000 km in all my fuel injected cars.

If you have any concern, perhaps change your air filter and oil filter and top off with Redline 10W-30.

Just some other things I think would take some consideration would include - sump capacity? You've mentioned that the engine spends much of it's time around 4krpm, so there's a lot of surface movement as far as piston and rings in relation to cylinder liners (locations where lubrication regimens are less hydrodynamic and more mixed film/extreme pressure additive dependent I believe. This will lead to additive up-take.). Being that the displacement of the engine is only 1.1L, this up-take could be offset with a higher sump volume in aiding to extend the OCI in theory as far as this thought is concerned, but other factors may still limit the OCI - taked longer to get the bulk temp of the oil up to operating temp so short trips will have an increasing effect relative to condensation and fuel loading, though again in ratio to the volume of oil....
What type of vavletrain does this engine have - flat or roller followers? Chain, gear or belt driven cam shaft(s)?

I'd stick close to manufacturer spec.s to play it safe until test data for your oil leads one to say otherwise...or your "gut feelings" if you know what I mean, at which point matter are increasingly in your hands. That's the nerving part of the deal!

Take care.

An oil is only as good as its engine. Any coolant leak, fuel dilution, or other problem that beats up the oil will be you beating up your engine. You need an oil analysis to insure your engine is not doing bad things.

Originally Posted By: Al
An oil is only as good as its engine. Any coolant leak, fuel dilution, or other problem that beats up the oil will be you beating up your engine. You need an oil analysis to insure your engine is not doing bad things.

X2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back