recommend a hunting rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points (which we both touched on - but you emphasized them better) about the necessity of a good trigger and the suitability of the .243 Win cartridge.

Brian

Now there is a local gun store that has a mossberg 243 with a scope its the atr line. Its 359 brand new. Is it a decent gun to consider? I wasnt impressed with remingtons the bolts felt notchy.
Yes I would prefer a bolt action as well.

The Remington_____ is one of the best out of the box .308 rifles UNDER $1000 i think you can find right now. 5 years ago or so when the black hawk axiom stock was first coming out and could be had I put together a remington 700 with the axiom stock and a bull barrel for ground hog shooting out in colorado, i matched the setup with a Leupold mark 4 4.5x14, shaved sear to 3.5lbs... I was amazed... .308 shooting with a recoil less than a 270?? This weapon in the right hands will tack nails at 6-800 yards... and in better than the right hands i would imagine well out to 1-1200 yards. The recoil with the axiom stock is cut down to the point my wife all 5'3" and all 115lbs shoots it comfortably from the bench. The irony behind what we put together is last year or the year before i see that remington has put together a 700 with the axiom 2 stock... the remington 700 that they have put together with blackhawk is a very versitile rifle. White tail, muleys, Elk at less than 400 yards, ground hog, pigs... the list goes on. its large enough to kill anything in north america at the proper distance and in the right hands. should be in the price bracket of around $800 or so. granted its not a $300 special gun. however it would be something i will set my wife and kid up with and feel confident that it will last a life time and be a go to rifle.
I appologise for speaking about rifles twice what you are aiming to spend, however if this is something you plan to get i would recommend saving and piecing one together...

Last edited:
You're in Arkansas- is there an Academy store near you? They list the Mossberg 100 ATR (with 3x9 scope mounted!)in several calibers for $300, & according to the weekend ad that's a regular price. Repeat, rifle with scope mounted for $300. If you handle one & think it seems OK that's probably gonna be the low-buck champ, Comes in .30/06, .308, .270, & I think also .243.

Academy also offers the Savage Axis in several suitable chamberings for $280- but that's a bare rifle, no scope or even iron sights.

If you can find something used you may get a nicer rifle for a good price. As a near-lifelong Winchester Model 70 owner(pre-'64 Featherweight, .270 Win), I say if you find a decent deal on a used M70, Jump On It!
grin2.gif

But: If I was gonna buy new & was on a tight budget where every $ counted(sounds like that's your situation) I'd get to an Academy & at least look at that Mossberg 100 ATR rifle/scope combo. Then, if nothing else, you'd know you didn;t like it.

Some other lower priced models you might want to investigate: The Stevens 200, & the Marlin XL7. if you're willing to consider a break-action single shot, Academy has those for ~$200 in several good deer calibers. But you'd need to add scope & mounts.

You're looking for a deer rifle on a budget. You cannot go wrong with a Marlin or Winchester 30-30. The only part that throws me off is you're looking for a range of 300-400 yards which is outside the practical range of a 30-30. Living in Arkansas, and making the assumption you don't have a great deal of experience i have to wonder how many good 300-400 yard shots you'll be making. Longer range shooting usually means more money. I'd get a 30-30. Shoot within its range and you'll have an endless supply of venison. Not to mention the ammo is cheap and easy to find.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
Savage.

Any one who says they are junk doesn't own one.

Amen!

As stated, I own a Savage Mark II Lakefield, was never happy with the quality.

They seemed to have dressed up the Mark II line.

I will try contacting Savage about replacing the dual claw extractor. If I could get the thing to reliably flick out the empties that would make my day.

Maybe the "New Savage" is a better company with the direction they are headed.

I'll head out at one point to Baron Sport and heft a few of them.

They are definitely inexpensive enough.

Maybe owning one lemon from a company doesn't merit my harsh words.

I'm partial to my Marlin 1895G guide gun in .45-70.

Lever action, very compact carbine size, big enough wallop to go through brush and still knock down anything in Arkansas. Or most other places.

I've read the quality of recent Marlins is not up with that of older Marlins, but mine seems OK.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: Falken
Savage is double junk.

Okay, I'll take the bait, tell us why Savage is "double junk"?

and so are hondas and toyotas, absolute garbage, ;-)

mossberg, savage both fine value and fine guns and keep at MOA with factory ammo, will fill your freezer!

Originally Posted By: Falken
As stated, I own a Savage Mark II Lakefield, was never happy with the quality.

They seemed to have dressed up the Mark II line.

I will try contacting Savage about replacing the dual claw extractor. If I could get the thing to reliably flick out the empties that would make my day.

Maybe the "New Savage" is a better company with the direction they are headed.

I'll head out at one point to Baron Sport and heft a few of them.

They are definitely inexpensive enough.

Maybe owning one lemon from a company doesn't merit my harsh words.

I found this conversation about your Savage Mk II extractor problem on another site somewhere...

"When I got the rifle I felt like you did with yours. I was unhappy that I would have to work on something as soon as I got it. I tried the CB Longs and not only would they not extract but the extractor would not 'grip' the shell rim. The first thing that I did was to place Flitz polish on a bore mop and after removing the bolt used a 12 Volt drill as a driver and polish the chamber. This helped a little with extraction but was still 'missing' some shell rims. I then took the bolt spring off and removed the extractor and the 'shell guide' on the other side of the bolt as well as the firing pin. I used a set of needle files to remove the burrs from the extractor edges and then filed down the inside edge of the extractor hook and changed the angel ~ 2 degrees. With these modifications there have been no more extraction problems. I still couldn't get the longs to work so I tried the shorts and they would work from the 5 round magazine that I bought extra and am now happy with it."

Mr Incredible, I have never altered my Mark II.

I got the gun when I was 11 years old in grade 6 if I recall.

Still has the Made in Canada sticker on it.

This quote that you posted backs up my postion on Savage.

But, they may have made some changes to their lines.

I really haven't had any hands-on with their current stuff.

If they have turned around their cobby engineering with current firearms prices, it would be a boon to BITOGERS to look into the new Savage.

Was a raining lousy day so I watched Spike on a day off and had some beers.

Oiled up my Ruger pellet rifle (1000+fps) to take on fall walks as up here in Quebec the anti gun culture is heavy.

I like to carry a rifle when I am about, makes it more fun.

But, nothing is worse than having a brand new gun that still stinks of cosmoline and is a total lemon.

A quality arm is worth 2 lemons IMHO. So twice the price for a lifelong investment isn't a big issue with me.

I still have to contact Savage about the claw extractor. If geometries are fixed I'll drop them in and have a great gun.

It is old, but still brand new. I have maybe put a brick of ammo through the Mark II in all these years.

I plan to invest some heavy research into Savage over the next year or so. Their prices are absolutely rock bottom compared to Winchester, Browning, and Remingon.

I still prefer paying too much on a safe bet as up here we have to use a gun license to acquire a gun, and if you buy junk it is linked to your name.

I should really sell a lot of the stuff I don't use.

If I can get this Mark II up and running it will spare me the search for a bolt gun, as I was mildly looking.

I saw a nice stainless Browning T-Bolt but they only had one in .17 HMR and I am not a fan of paying centrefire prices for rimfire ammo...

Well I went a bough today from a real small local gun shop a mossberg 100 270 with the double action trigger and it has a pretty nice scope. It's not the factory scope that it comes with the gun store put it on to kinda dress it up some. I paid 308 and got a free box of ammo and a case of my choice and some targets all thrown in. I am pretty happy with it.

I would have chosen Mosberg as an inexpensive arm myself as well.

The engineering is solid on Mosberg, they seem to just save a few dollars on the fit and finish.

Still remember the Mavericks at Canadian Tire that stood as tall as me when I was in grade school!

Enjoy your new arm, but I will still look at Savage to see if there are firearms values out there that I have been ignorant to.

Congrats on your new rifle- from the reviews I've read any change from the factory-issued combo scope should surely be an upgrade.

You'll find the good old .270 is fine for deer, wild hogs, & anything else you're likely to find in or near Arkansas- a definite step up in power compared to the .243. Don't let anyone tell you that you just *Have* to get any of this super-expen$ive specialty ammo that seems to be everywhere now. Plain old Winchester Power-Points, Remington Core-Lokt, or the standard Federal load will serve you well. My own .270 always did very well with Win PowerPoint 130 grain.

Also remember that the .270 built its reputation on 130 grain pointed bullets.

Sounds like you did mighty well for about $300! Again, congrats.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554
You're looking for a deer rifle on a budget. You cannot go wrong with a Marlin or Winchester 30-30. The only part that throws me off is you're looking for a range of 300-400 yards which is outside the practical range of a 30-30. Living in Arkansas, and making the assumption you don't have a great deal of experience i have to wonder how many good 300-400 yard shots you'll be making. Longer range shooting usually means more money. I'd get a 30-30. Shoot within its range and you'll have an endless supply of venison. Not to mention the ammo is cheap and easy to find.
Yep. Almost all deer are taken under 200 yards. And the .30-30 happens to be a 200 and change yard round in a low cost and handy package. Even if a longer shot presented itself, the average hunter has no business taking it out in the field.

Sounds like a very good deal. The advice about using standard Winchester or Remington ammunition for hunting is spot on. Save some on each box, and use it to buy more for practice.

The .270 is a well-proven performer, a true classic, and a step up in power from the .243. It's nice to have some extra oomph! The 130-grain bullet is the ticket, too. Certain cartridge/ bullet weight combinations often stand out, and this the one for .270 and deer.

Enjoy your new friend, and good hunting.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back