recommend a hunting rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking for a cheap but decent rifle.
Something in the 300-400 range would be great. Ive heard of the savage axis and mossberg atr
Any thoughts on these or other rifles of a simillar price? Ill be using whatever gun I get for deer hunting.

I am partial to Winchester.

Browning is good too.

Remington is very 870 looking and their quality is hit and miss.

If a gun has no sass it ain't worth buying.

Mossberg is just junk. Savage is double junk.

I am not a fan of Ruger "investment casting" and it's resulting lack of accuracy. I own many Rugers.

Sorry but a quality gun costs money. Buy one used from an old guy you are better off.

Research a brand you love, know your stuff, and find a good used deal. It is worth the effort and prolongs the love affair.

If you don't love a gun you buy, don't expect to ever become a great shot with it. Ever.

Sorry. I have been shooting since I was 4. Buy old beaten up quality that has history and leave the cheap junk on store shelves.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Savage is double junk.

Okay, I'll take the bait, tell us why Savage is "double junk"?

Nothing wrong with the Savages.

A Savage bolt action with the accutrigger in .308 is a good all around deer gun.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Any thoughts on these or other rifles of a simillar price?

Considering the overall cost of owning a rifle, the initial purchase price is not that large of a chunk. You should move your budget up and get something nicer.

Turbo,

I have a very nice Mark II Lakefield that doesn't extract for the life of it.

It is a .22 bolt action. The go-to, simplest gun to make a bread and butter reputation on.

Research what happened to Lakefield. Where it went. Who bought it. How it evolved.

And see how Savage is wet behind the ears for being such an old company.

You can be like me, and learn from first-hand mistakes.

Or, you can simply take the advice that can save you a grand today on a POS firearm.

Again, it is only about finding a gun you love. Period.

My point is saving on a firearm isn't possible unless you don't buy one to begin with.

The cheapest gun to own is one that is accurate, reliable, easy to find parts for, and you love. And has been owned by an old Veteran.

Any other firearm gets sent to the back of the gun safe eventually. That is the biggest waste of cash IMHO.

I love to be wrong though, after 33 years of shooting I love a great lead on a rabbit hunting patch or a cheap gun that I fantasize about shooting with.

But, 33 years of shooting on BITOG, compared to other people on this site, I am still a noob!!! Some people on this site have been shooting almost twice as long as me.

Ask them, what kid doesn't like Winchester
smile.gif

I have a mossberg 410 its almost 70 yrs old and its a great gun.
Ive never heard savages as being bad. Quite the opposite really. So now im very confused. Also aused prices were almost as much as new and sometimes were more.

I have a Browning A-Bolt 7mm Rem Magnum. I got it a couple years ago for around $450 on sale. I love it, though I am not sure you will find a deal like that now.

Originally Posted By: Falken

I am not a fan of Ruger "investment casting" and it's resulting lack of accuracy. I own many Rugers.

"Not a fan".... But you own "many"? I am pretty sure that disqualifys you from giving advice on this subject.

Look into a Howa 1500. Also known as the Weatherby vanguard. Very accurate, great trigger and inexpensive. 243, 308, 22-250 heavy barrel, fluting are some of the variations available. About 499.00 street price. Made in Japan.

Originally Posted By: royesses
Look into a Howa 1500. Also known as the Weatherby vanguard. Very accurate, great trigger and inexpensive. 243, 308, 22-250 heavy barrel, fluting are some of the variations available. About 499.00 street price. Made in Japan.

I have heard they are great but I would kind of like to stick with an American gun if possible. I know a lot of people hate people like that. But if america can build a decent gun still I would prefer that.

Remington 700 in a .308 in bolt or a Savage in a .308 bolt action. You can also go 30.06, or .284 to name a few.

^the reverse... trying to help out here.

I own 2 Ruger 10/22's, and they are scope wreckers, and a Ruger Mini-30, that is before they reworked their manufacturing process.

My Mini-30 is horrible for accuracy. But the 10/22s are fun to shoot and have hi-cap mags. As far a .22 semi-autos go they are pretty good, but I would have preferred the two "stainless" 10/22's I own to have had a milled Stainless!! receiver, not investment cast Aluminum. Big difference to me...

Volquartsen will take your aluminum 10/22 receiver and mill a Stainless one for you and transfer the Serial#... To make the best 10/22 ever. See?

Plus the Lakefield advice.... I am the dead guy at the bottom of the swamp that is trying to lead people to the skiff....

Saving money on guns works out like trying to save money on women.

Never heard a complaint about a Weatherby.

My paps BPS was (to his horror back then) MADE IN JAPAN.

And I have played with that shotgun since I was a baby.

And I still love the quality. I can think of how the deep cut checkering hurts my hands and feel it to this day and I haven't shot that BPS in 15 years.

Go for the Weatherby if you hate on my other advice.

I just want you to shoot a gun that you love, I don't care if you loose and extra 85$ over the proposition.

Falken lost me 85$ on a gun I LOVE.

I can live with that.

Reading Dean A. Grennell as a kid and hunting rabbits with my 870 has made me nostalgic, thanks guys.

Now that Fall is here I have to make an effort to get out there and hunt.

Maybe I'll take out my Toper .410 for some walks in the Fall amongst the maple leaves and think...

Savage.

Any one who says they are junk doesn't own one. I have a safe full of rifles of varying makes and calibers. The two most accurate rifles in that safe are both Savages. Every Savage I've ever owned shot lights out. They might not have the look or feel of a custom Rem. 700 action based rifle, but they are definitely accurate. And they are accurate right out of the box.

Listen to what Jeff Quinn, who tests and reviews dozens of guns every year, has to say about Savage rifles:

"Savage bolt actions have become the most recommended varmint and target rifles to our readers who write and ask my opinion. I am often asked to recommend handguns, shotguns, and rifles to shooters who are looking to buy a firearm and want to know what I would choose. Sometimes, I have wished that I did not recommend a certain gun when someone buys it, and then it doesn’t work as it should. I have been burned that way a couple of times, so I am very choosy about what I recommend. Whenever I have recommended a Savage, I have never been bitten. The dern things are accurate, and that ain’t just my opinion. Lots of competitive shooters are discovering that a Savage will shoot right along with rifles costing several times the price."

This is a 100 yd. 5 shot group from a .22-250 Savage he tested. Doesn't look like junk to me.

And this is a 200 yd. 3 shot group from my $400, tupperware stocked, .243 Savage with a cheap Simmons scope.

Used Marlin .30-30
cool.gif

Nothing wrong with Savage either. Any of the big American brands will bring in the deer.

Last edited:
For the price range you are talking, the savage axis or ruger american would be good. For a couple more dollars, you can get the weatherby vanguard 2 or a savage 11 with accustock, Both excellent choices. I have the Vanguard 2 and love it. 1 inch groups at 100 yards all day long with any cheap ammo. I can easily do all shots touching ([censored] near the same hole) with premium ammo or my reloads. I don't even consider myself that great of a shot either. The rifle is very strong, reliable and good looking without being overly heavy or expensive. The trigger is adjustable 2 - 4.5lbs and breaks smoothly. The only thing I don't care for is the gray colored stock but it does blend in well in the woods around here and it fit me perfectly.

What a classic -and pleasant- question to ponder! Definitely go for a rifle that you find pleasing, and please think about expanding your price range a bit. Your rifle will be your closest hunting companion, so choose carefully. Unless you hand load, if you do a decent amount of practicing, your ammunition costs will be more significant than the purchase price of a rifle.

I've been hunting for many years, and have been shooting in competition as well, both rifle and pistol. Here are some points you probably should consider:
1. First pick your preferred cartridge(s); that will help narrow the field some. .308 and .30-'06 are good all-round picks, as is then.270. Take a look at your ammo choices and prices for practice and hunting loads. It is easier to find ammo bargains for the 30- calibers than many other deer rounds. But don't turn down a great deal in a less-common chambering. Paired with the right load, you can be successful with anything from .243 Win to .375 H&H, and beyond.
2. I presume you want a bolt action? I ask because I sometimes go out with my older Marlin 1895 in .45-70, 300 grain hand loads and iron sights. Great for ranges typically encountered in Eastern woods hunting.
3. Does your budget mean $300 - $400 with or without a scope? Just curious.
4. You will get the most rifle for the money by buying used and on a private deal.
5. Don't be afraid of a sporterized military rifle. Good rifles have been made over the years from Swedish Mausers and even the Japanese Arisaka in 6.5 mm or SMLEs in .303. The conversion destroys collector interest and brings the price right down. They aren't easy to find, but worth the effort. One favorite rifle was made from an A3-'03 action; the owner didn't like the military trigger, so he let it go at a low price. I didn't like the trigger, either, so I dropped in a nice after-market trigger for about $60 and 15 minutes time.
6. Good used rifles include the Remington 700 and Ruger M77 (these are not 10-22 or a semi-auto; the bolt actions are solid), and select Winchester models. Find one made 30 - 40 years ago, that has seen plenty of use but not abused, and clean it up with some cold blueing and stock-refinishing. Many solid rifles are just sitting in closets across America. Take your time and look around!

You might also ask what others actually end up carrying into the field. I've got more than 20 rifles suited for white-tails ( need to clean out the gun lockers!). But when the time comes to get serious and drop a deer into the freezer, I keep turning more and more to a 1975- vintage Ruger M77, in .243 Win, shooting plain Remington 100-grain Corelockdt ammunition (I do hand load for practice). Does remarkably little damage to the meat. By hunting to get up fairly close and taking only shots where I am quite confident of precise bullet placement, a second shot has never been needed and some of the deer dropped after a few yards while still chewing their cud. Equipped with a modest 4X Weaver 'scope Weaver 'scope, I never thought this rifle would be the steady performer it has been.

Good luck! Find a rifle you can love!

Brian

Ram-Man

The Savage Axis is a good entry level rifle but if you can swing it, get a Savage with an Accutrigger. You can get an Axis at WalMart for about $280-290. The Accutrigger Savage is about $100 more, but worth it. You can install a better trigger on the Axis but that will add $100 to the cost. Walmart sells an Accutrigger model with a decent 3-9 power scope already mounted for around $400. That is plenty of scope for most deer hunting distances. Nothing wrong with the Axis though and a good gunsmith can massage that trigger to make it better if you don't swap it out for a Timney or Rifle Basix trigger.

If whitetail deer hunting I would recommend a .308 Win. or .243 Win. Both offer manageable recoil and are plenty of gun for whitetail. In my area .243 ammo is easier to find than .308 though. Go with a 95-100 grain bullet in .243. The Winchester Silvertip is a good factory load. I shot my own 95 gr. handloads with a $400 Savage I bought at Walmart to get that group in the picture above.

And the Savage is made in the USA. The Weatherby Vanguard S2 is another rifle I would consider, but it is a little more expensive and is really a Japanese made Howa action sold by Weatherby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back